[BUG FIX] Google Now Not Working - How I Fixed It ** NOT mic levels **

Search This thread

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
I know I am not alone here. The OPO just did not work well with Google Now. I realized two things fairly quickly, on my device...

1 - All voice commands were heard and worked very well, with the exception of saying "OK GOOGLE."

2 - The Google app was different. I came from a Nexus 5 and the Google Now apk when opened, if you scrolled to the bottom, the menu for settings was in the bottom right. That was absent on the OPO version - and I had to go to Google Settings to edit the "OK GOOGLE" recognition / any screen feature.

So... clearly not a hardware issue, which made me feel a lot better.

I then decided to abandon CM11S (4.4.2... with bugs) for a ROM like SlimKat (4.4.4). I also flashed their full GAPPS package.

Low and behold, Google Now worked PERFECTLY. No issues. And wouldn't you know, the settings were at the bottom of the Google Now app. I am uncertain the two build numbers, but I would have to assume one could just replace the Google apk and have some resolution for the "OK GOOGLE" not working.

Below is a video of what I was experiencing on CM11S. Now, this video is making my OPO activate Google Now, just having the video play. Hysterical.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

GTCC

Jan 18, 2013
Is everyone having problems with ok Google? I have no problems with it on any of my opo and I was thinking is was because I have a deep voice but it works for my wife as well. We both say ok Google as if we were speaking to someone standing in front of us.

All 3 phones are stock by the way.

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
Yea except google now will show the menu button if you disable the hardware menu button on CM11S. Also the microphone levels fix has been known for a while and is the problem, it is likely that the rom you flashed just already used the increased microphone values.

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
I had adjusted the mic before-hand, and have used various ROMs.

it was not until I used SlimKat that it worked...

in every circumstance I have the nav bar off, so it is not the menu settings either from what I can tell.