Search This thread

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
Here is another simple fix for another HTC's "design flaw". If you have your music playback cutting out, or songs skipping back and forth and pausing randomly (all while on headphones), this fix is for you. If you don't, you probably will at some point...

It seems there is a reason why Nokia puts an ugly piece of plastic around the headphone jack. Can you find that on your phone? No? Well, there's your problem!
In Sensation's case, headphones constantly "touch" the back cover, which eventually scratches out the paint, revealing a tiny bit of bare metal. Similar thing happens on (unconfirmed): HTC HD2, HTC Desire HD (reported but unlikely), HTC EVO 3D, Samsung Captivate, Motorola Droid X and possibly a few more phones. Some of these have a silver ring around the jack, but this obviously doesn't help.

So, here it is on the Sensation:

hp1.jpg

Problems occur once headphones come in contact with bare metal. I tried covering the scratch with paint, nail polish and super glue. None of this works, it just removes more paint. Coating it with more permanent paint would probably work for a while, but that would peel off eventually.

From what I can see, there are two ways to fix this.
One is quite simple:

hp2.jpg

While two involves modifying the headphones themselves.
It took me a while, but I found a perfect solution:

hp3.jpg

These are... dental.. rubbers... I actually have no idea what they are really called :D They are used for braces. I believe you can find them in any dental store. Just bring this picture with you :) They are under 1$, and come in various colours.
This is what you need to do with them:

hp4.jpg

Basically invisible :)
Here is another way to do the same thing, done by Mr. Ulmo.

In case this happens on your phone (non-Sensation) and you are able to fix it, please notify me so I can add it here :)

Also, in case you don't want to do any "hardware alterations", this app blocks headphone buttons, which kind of fixes the problem.

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

idavid_

Nov 19, 2010
I think it's the issue with HTC headphones. When I plugged them into my X1, it started to randomly dial people and $hit. If you are using another headphones, then I can't help you.
Edit: just read that you used different headphones. Nvm then

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
I think it's the issue with HTC headphones. When I plugged them into my X1, it started to randomly dial people and $hit. If you are using another headphones, then I can't help you.

Unfortunately, the headphones are not to blame. Similar thing happens with my desktop headphones, or ordinary speakers.
Songs don't skip with non-HTC headphones (since they don't have controls built in), but music still cuts out.

Also, I tried different music apps.

idavid_

Nov 19, 2010
Unfortunately, the headphones are not to blame. Similar thing happens with my desktop headphones, or ordinary speakers.
Songs don't skip with non-HTC headphones (since they don't have controls built in), but music still cuts out.

Also, I tried different music apps.

Maybe you have $hit stuck in your headphone jack? Just noticed I do :/

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
Maybe you have $hit stuck in your headphone jack? Just noticed I do :/

Perhaps...
I'll do a little cleaning and report back :)

edit:
Well it can't be that simple can it... There was some dust in there, but nothing spectacular. It's still the same :\

Last edited:

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
I solved it... It took less than expected :)

I opened the phone up, thinking I'll have to mess with the jack, but the jack is fine.
It's due to the worst back cover in the universe (again). EVO 3D for example has a nice finish around the jack, so headphones don't touch the cover. Sensation on the other hand has nothing. Once paint peels off that nothing, headphones start touching bare metal, and go crazy.
Fu**ing flagship device...

I think I'll fix it with black nail polish, or silicone, or something...

Last edited:
Reactions: idavid_ and carpbud

carpbud

Its strange as I had this! It got so bad I blamed the headphones and kept moving the wire. Result - after a while I knackered them up!

I bought a new pair and only last week, they started to too. It sort of cuts out for a second.

Ive looked at my phone, and it looks as discussed above, worn away paint...

Mattmanx

Jun 16, 2011
Richmond, VA
Same Issue

I've had the same issue since I got my Sensation back in June, and it appears to be getting worse and worse. Leads me to believe it does have something to do with the paint around the headphone jack being rubbed off. It's also not just HTC headphones, as I have a very basic pair that I've used in addition to the ones provided by HTC, and it happens with those as well. A little search of the Google turns up a bunch of other people that have had this same problem. I contacted HTC support a few weeks ago about the issue and the response was basically, "Tough Luck". The tech mentioned that the headphones are coming into contact with other parts of the phone when in the headphone jack, and are somehow sending control signals to the phone. There is no fix.

It's a pain in the ass, particularly when you're listening to music and the phone auto-dials your boss or a client. I may try to root the phone and see if there's a way to turn off headphone controls in the software.

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
Its strange as I had this! It got so bad I blamed the headphones and kept moving the wire. Result - after a while I knackered them up!

I bought a new pair and only last week, they started to too. It sort of cuts out for a second.

There is no fix.

It's a pain in the ass, particularly when you're listening to music and the phone auto-dials your boss or a client. I may try to root the phone and see if there's a way to turn off headphone controls in the software.
There is a fix, and I believe it's quite easy. I'll post a picture or two tonight :)

Reactions: carpbud

bcpk

Feb 11, 2010
I have the same problem. There's a little chip in the paint right at the edge of my headphone jack and whenever the pins are wiggled slightly sound cuts out.
951CMl.jpg

Reactions: zmfl

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
OP updated with a fix :)
If anyone can think of a better way to fix this, feel free to post.

c19932

Jun 9, 2010
Google Pixel 6
thanks for making this post

so this is why my music player goes ****ing crazy and skipping songs by itself. it annoyed the **** out of me -.-

gillgrylls

Jun 14, 2010
Malibu CA
Here is another simple solution for a stupid "design flaw" that could have been easily avoided... Quietly brilliant my ass.
If you have your music playback cutting out, or songs skipping back and forth and pausing randomly (all while on headphones), this fix is for you. If you don't, you probably will at some point...

Notice the nice round finish around the headphone jack of this non-flagship device here? Can you find that on your Sensation? No? Well, there's your problem!
In Sensation's case, headphones constantly "touch" the back cover. Eventually this scratches out the black paint, revealing a tiny bit of bare metal. Like so:

hp1.jpg

Problems occur once headphones come in contact with the metal.
I tried covering the scratch with paint, nail polish and super glue. None of this works, it just removes more paint. Covering it with a more permanent paint would probably work for a while, but from what I can see, there is two ways to fix this.
One is quite simple:

hp2.jpg

While two would involve making a bigger hole in the phone. I'll try this once I get a backup back cover.

If anyone has a better looking solution, I'd like to hear it! :)

Also, in case you don't want to do any "hardware alterations", this app blocks headphone buttons, which kind of fixes the problem.

Hope I helped :)
My gf has a Sensation. She hasn't come across this issue yet as she doesn't use headphones with the phone but I have an HTC HD2 and this was a issue with that phone as well. I don't use it anymore but for music and video but oddly it did not do this with all headphones. The OEM ones it would do this. I have a cheap $8 pair I bought from a computer store and never does this.

I have an older truck I use when i go hunting that still has a cassette deck in it and when i use the cassette adapter and plug into the phone it also skips and pauses. Sucks but im just living with it. I would guess overall its a HTC design issue

kaposhkaposh

Dec 9, 2010
Definitely a design problem.

Having similar problem with my HTC HD2. Definitely a phone design problem. If you'll let HTC know about it, please do so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is another simple fix for another HTC's "design flaw". If you have your music playback cutting out, or songs skipping back and forth and pausing randomly (all while on headphones), this fix is for you. If you don't, you probably will at some point...

It seems there is a reason why Nokia puts an ugly piece of plastic around the headphone jack. Can you find that on your phone? No? Well, there's your problem!
    In Sensation's case, headphones constantly "touch" the back cover, which eventually scratches out the paint, revealing a tiny bit of bare metal. Similar thing happens on (unconfirmed): HTC HD2, HTC Desire HD (reported but unlikely), HTC EVO 3D, Samsung Captivate, Motorola Droid X and possibly a few more phones. Some of these have a silver ring around the jack, but this obviously doesn't help.

So, here it is on the Sensation:

hp1.jpg

Problems occur once headphones come in contact with bare metal. I tried covering the scratch with paint, nail polish and super glue. None of this works, it just removes more paint. Coating it with more permanent paint would probably work for a while, but that would peel off eventually.

From what I can see, there are two ways to fix this.
    One is quite simple:

hp2.jpg

While two involves modifying the headphones themselves.
    It took me a while, but I found a perfect solution:

hp3.jpg

These are... dental.. rubbers... I actually have no idea what they are really called :D They are used for braces. I believe you can find them in any dental store. Just bring this picture with you :) They are under 1$, and come in various colours.
    This is what you need to do with them:

hp4.jpg

Basically invisible :)
    Here is another way to do the same thing, done by Mr. Ulmo.

In case this happens on your phone (non-Sensation) and you are able to fix it, please notify me so I can add it here :)

Hope I helped!
    I solved it... It took less than expected :)

I opened the phone up, thinking I'll have to mess with the jack, but the jack is fine.
    It's due to the worst back cover in the universe (again). EVO 3D for example has a nice finish around the jack, so headphones don't touch the cover. Sensation on the other hand has nothing. Once paint peels off that nothing, headphones start touching bare metal, and go crazy.
    Fu**ing flagship device...

I think I'll fix it with black nail polish, or silicone, or something...
    So what can be wrong here? [Desire HD]

I've had the same issue on my Desire HD. I've fixed it by covering the little metal contact in the first picture with a tiny bit of sugru silicone (sugru.com). I'm assuming that that contact is used for the 4th pin in headphones with a remote?

Anyway, it solved my issues with skipping music and random calls. It also stopped the scratting noises I was experiencing during music playback!

Hope that helps you out :)

There is no fix.

There is a fix, and I believe it's quite easy. I'll post a picture or two tonight :)
    I have the same problem. There's a little chip in the paint right at the edge of my headphone jack and whenever the pins are wiggled slightly sound cuts out.
    951CMl.jpg