[Q] this sim card is from an unknown source Moto X CDMA Verizon

Search This thread
Dec 21, 2013
Hi,
I recently bought a no-contract MOTO X CDMA Verizon. I am trying to use it with my Vodafone India SIM, but as soon as I insert this SIM and start the phone I get the following error
"this sim card is from an unknown source"
I contacted Motorola and Verizon and both of them said that this is an unlocked phone and it should work globally. When I start the phone get the above error but I still see Vodafone network and HSPA+ sign. When I try to make a call I get "mobile network not available" error.

Please help I really like this phone and would like to use it here too.

Regards
Sumit

Gundabolu SC

Sep 9, 2013
Hi,
I recently bought a no-contract MOTO X CDMA Verizon. I am trying to use it with my Vodafone India SIM, but as soon as I insert this SIM and start the phone I get the following error
I contacted Motorola and Verizon and both of them said that this is an unlocked phone and it should work globally. When I start the phone get the above error but I still see Vodafone network and HSPA+ sign. When I try to make a call I get "mobile network not available" error.

Regards
Sumit

Try this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2394689 ???

RenSoAbrupt

Dec 4, 2013
Nassau
Hey thanks, tried using this patch, but this patch does not install may be because Moto X does not have external memory.
Followed each step properly accept that had to put the .zip file in the internal memory

I think the "There is no external memory" happens when you clear the cache. Happened to me last night, Just resetted my phone and it was good to go.

Dec 21, 2013
what exactly was the error? Did you use the stock recovery by any chance?

I got the error "No command". Also when i went to the Fast boot screen. It said device status "Locked". This is despite the fact that I bought a no contract verizon Moto X from Moto Maker. Now I am trying to use Indian Vodafone SIM and i can only access data packets but cannot make any voice calls. It does register to the Network in the Global mode but when I try to make a call it gives the following error "Mobile network not available".
Not sure how to resolve this. When I start the phone i get the unkown SIM error.

Please help

Thanks

eeshlikhith

Nov 2, 2011
I got the error "No command". Also when i went to the Fast boot screen. It said device status "Locked". This is despite the fact that I bought a no contract verizon Moto X from Moto Maker. Now I am trying to use Indian Vodafone SIM and i can only access data packets but cannot make any voice calls. It does register to the Network in the Global mode but when I try to make a call it gives the following error "Mobile network not available".
Not sure how to resolve this. When I start the phone i get the unkown SIM error.

Please help

Thanks

Have you unlocked the bootloader? you have to install a custom recovery like CWM for that AFAIK

Reactions: sumitchaturvedi

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Hi,

Regards
Sumit
I get "this sim card is from an unknown source" after the KitKat update on my VZW Moto X, and my VZW Samsung Galaxy S4 after its 4.3 update when I insert my T-Mobile USA sim.

Switching the phones to "global" mode and manually setting the APN settings (for T-Mobile) makes the phones work on T-Mobile. But I can't clear that message from the phone.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
No I have not unlocked the bootloader. How do i go about unlocking the bootloader. Please guide me
For Verizon, you can only unlock your bootloader IF your Moto X is the developer edition.

Moto doesn't give out unlock codes for the retail or moto maker X for Verizon and ATT. (this is likely due to carrier request.)

Have you tried making your sure phone has the correct APN settings for your carrier?

Dec 21, 2013
For Verizon, you can only unlock your bootloader IF your Moto X is the developer edition.

Moto doesn't give out unlock codes for the retail or moto maker X for Verizon and ATT. (this is likely due to carrier request.)

Have you tried making your sure phone has the correct APN settings for your carrier?

Yes I have tried to add the correct APN settings but the phone does not save them. All though i can still access the data/internet. I mean my mails are getting synced etc

L7iharsha

Aug 25, 2011
Vijaywada
are you able to solve this issue i cant im not getting even getting signal immd it disappears and showing no service or emergency only

Dec 21, 2013
So I am unable to save the APN settings even when I change the setting to GLOBAL...and I manually set the correct APN.

I get "this sim card is from an unknown source" after the KitKat update on my VZW Moto X, and my VZW Samsung Galaxy S4 after its 4.3 update when I insert my T-Mobile USA sim.

Switching the phones to "global" mode and manually setting the APN settings (for T-Mobile) makes the phones work on T-Mobile. But I can't clear that message from the phone.

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
on razr m and razr hd, removing VzwPhoneService.apk and VzwPhoneService.odex fixed the error. on moto x 4.4+, they are located in priv-app. may also want to remove VzwController.apk and VzwController.odex. these are part of the initial activation process on vzw network.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Please help

Thanks

Have you unlocked the bootloader? you have to install a custom recovery like CWM for that AFAIK