[Q] Full Windows Smartphone?

Search This thread

huaba91

Sep 14, 2009
Hello,

is it possible to install a full Windows 8 OS on a smartphone with Intel Atom Z2420 or other Intel CPUs?
(No Windows Phone or RT)

huaba91

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
They have locked bootloaders (almost always) and non ACPI compatible chipsets (sometimes). Can't stick windows on them unfortunately, screen would be too small anyway. Would certainly be cool though.

fprice02

Apr 2, 2006
Fort Lewis, WA
Bottom line no. The space requirements for a full install of windows is bigger than internal space available on most of the phones out there. An alternative would be to find a way to install a working version on a micro SD.

huaba91

Sep 14, 2009
I think, the installation on a micro sd shouldnt be so hard.
But booting could be the problem.

Or would it be easier to install a "normal" linux version?

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
I think, the installation on a micro sd shouldnt be so hard.
But booting could be the problem.

Or would it be easier to install a "normal" linux version?

The CPU's in most phones can only boot from the onboard flash as is. The hardware doesnt support more.
Clovertrail *by design* can only load windows *or* android (it was sold in 2 versions to do so). The windows version physically cannot load anything else, the android version cannot load anything else.

Eliminates microSD booting and also booting windows on an intel phone. You may have luck with linux on one but that can be done on ARM handsets already, android itself uses linux so it stands to reason that clovertrail may be fooled into booting it, but I dont see the advantage over an ARM handset in doing so.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
PLain ubuntu has been loaded on android tablets already and they have the same hardware as phones. Most linux software is open source and somewhat easily ported to ARM as is.

huaba91

Sep 14, 2009
Yes, i know.
But i didn´t find something for a x86 phone and if for example full ubuntu on Motorola Razr I or Lenovo K900 is the same ubuntu like on a pc, where i also can run x86-only programms.