[Q] Loosing mobile connection & GPS

Search This thread

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
I have developed an issue where a (seemingly random amount of time, can be over 24 hours, can be less than 12) after I boot my phone, I loose my mobile connection and GPS. I still have my WiFi. I have no way of knowing that this has happened until I look at the phone. This has been going on for a couple months now and is driving me insane. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it and I have posted in the Sprint specific Galaxy S4 forum, but I have yet to find an answer. I am hoping that posting to a wider audience may find some cure for my problem. I will post some very specific details about my phone, but any suggestions are welcome, even if the specifics are not familiar to you.

I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 (non-Spark, SPH-L720), rooted stock TouchWiz rom, Android 4.4.2 NAE (with MF9 bootloader, so no Knox), KT-SGS4 7/12/14 kernel, Philz Touch 6.48.4 recovery, SuperSU v2.01.

The following are frozen or deleted on my system (not listing items I consider irrelevant):
AllShare
CloudAgent
ELM Agent
Face Unlock
Knox (everything related)
Samsung Hub Updater
Samsung Link
Samsung Push Service
Security Policy Update
Sprint ID
Sprint Installer
Sprint Worldwide
TalkBack

My problem started after upgrading from system MF9 to NAE. For a while, NAE was the most stable operating system I had ever had on a phone. Then at an unknown point in time after upgrading, I began loosing my mobile connection and GPS a while after booting the phone. If I reboot the phone, I will immediately get the mobile connection and GPS back, until I loose it again and I always do.

I will point out that I recently discovered the app No Signal Alert and installed it, thinking that at least I would know when I loose my mobile connection. However, No Signal Alert does not detect a loss of signal when I loose my mobile connection, and still shows a good signal strength... this certainly confuses me.

Because system NAE was working perfectly for a while, I tend to think the problem does not specifically lie with the upgrade, something had to have changed in my phone to have caused the issue, as I see it.

I had messed with the APNs on my phone in an attempt to get MMS working, and in the process, through a misunderstanding of the app APN Backup & Restore, I had ended up with a massive APN file. I got this fixed, but it did not correct the issue. Also did a ##72786# reset. All during this time, I was also unable to update my PRL or Profile, as I would get an error. Eventually, for some reason, I got my PRL and Profile updated, but that did not fix my issue. I even Nandroided back to before I had messed with the APNs, still no luck.

Based on things I read, or on my on intuition, I tried going back to a prior kernel version, no help. I removed the ViPER4Android sound mod, no help. I use XPrivacy, but I monitor the restrictions closely and nothing is occurring there that should cause an issue. I seem to have battery overcharging issues with my phone and I have read a post by one user relating battery issues to connection issues, but since restarting my phone solves the issue, I don't see this being related.

I have attached a LogCat recording using CatLog (set to Warn or higher) of an attempt to place a call while my mobile connection was lost... I am personally unable to tell if this shows anything useful or not.

What is so frustrating to me about this is WHY does the mobile connection and GPS work perfectly fine for a while after booting, then stop? Obviously, something is occurring and I don't know how to find out what it is... :eek:

So... ANY ideas, wild conjectures or knowledgeable help would be GREATLY appreciated! :fingers-crossed:

Attachments

• no_mobile_connection.txt
    51 KB · Views: 13

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
Let me define a little better what I mean when I say that I loose my mobile connection and GPS...

When this happens, I can receive no phone calls. I can make no phone calls. I can receive no text messages. I can send no text messages. I have no 3G or 4G internet connection. I am also unable to connect to GPS. I can still connect to the internet through WiFi perfectly fine. Basically, when this occurs, I no longer have a phone, I have a WiFi enabled internet device :mad: .

Something I question is how is the mobile connection related to the GPS in a way that it is NOT related to the WiFi? Why should I loose my GPS if I loose my mobile connection? And why don't I loose my WiFi then? Is this a modem issue?

Why does No Signal Alert not detect that I have no mobile connection and continue to report a good signal strength? Is it incorrect, or am I still getting the signal but my phone otherwise thinks for some reason that I am not... when this occurs, the signal level in the notification bar shows no bars and an 'x'.

Why does rebooting the phone regain the mobile connection and GPS? Why do I always eventually loose it again? It OBVIOUSLY WORKS, why does it STOP working? Something must cause this to happen but figuring out what that is has been beyond my capabilities (it may well be in the logcat, but I just can't understand it well enough, despite the headaches I have gotten trying to).

I have never heard of anyone else with an issue similar to mine (I seem to specialize in these sorts of issues). The above are the sort of questions that I hope can lead to an answer for me, I need a phone again! :fingers-crossed:

(ADDITION): Here is a bit of another logcat I ran today when my mobile connection and GPS was lost. The first thing listed is an Adreno-ES20 error and I was getting a TON of those for some reason, though I think from my research that is related to the GPU, so should not be related to this issue?

The next section listed is something I wonder about, since it references 'call' a couple times. This section of error was repeated several times in the logcat. Does this indicate a issue being caused by the XposedBridge (I do have Xposed installed). I tried to research the "asks to run as user -2 but is calling from user 0" part of the message and from what I can tell, that is prone to happen on Samsung phones and that error should not cause an app to stop working (though my understanding could OF COURSE be totally incorrect).

Code:
08-24 11:36:00.577 E/Adreno-ES20( 1432): <process_gl_state_enables:519>: Invalid enum – 0xde1

08-24 11:36:10.307 W/ActivityManager(  877): Permission Denial: get/set setting for user asks to run as user -2 but is calling from user 0; this requires android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): Writing exception to parcel
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: get/set setting for user asks to run as user -2 but is calling from user 0; this requires android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at com.android.server.am.ActivityManagerService.handleIncomingUser(ActivityManagerService.java:14620)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at android.app.ActivityManager.handleIncomingUser(ActivityManager.java:2258)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsProvider.call(SettingsProvider.java:663)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.call(ContentProvider.java:325)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:275)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:404)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.invokeOriginalMethodNative(Native Method)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.handleHookedMethod(XposedBridge.java:631)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Native Method)
08-24 11:36:10.317 E/DatabaseUtils(  877): 	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)
08-24 11:36:10.317 W/qdhwcomposer(  298): Excessive delay reading vsync: took 681 ms

Last edited:

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
This is the forum for your device:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-sprint

What I would do in your case:

Start from scratch. Just do a full wipe from the recovery and flash a new rom. You modded so much that's it's best to start over.

From my experience it's hard to find the cause when you did a lot of modding. Starting from scratch would be the fastest route.

You can either flash a custom rom or again the stock rom. That's up to you.

Reactions: rsngfrce

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
Thanks for the response!

Start from scratch. Just do a full wipe from the recovery and flash a new rom. You modded so much that's it's best to start over.

From my experience it's hard to find the cause when you did a lot of modding. Starting from scratch would be the fastest route.

An answer from an actual living human being... you don't know HOW MUCH I appreciate it! :highfive:

I already tried the Sprint Galaxy S4 forum, as I said, and did not get anywhere. My IMPRESSION is that THIS is the GENERAL Galaxy S4 forum, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong about that, I find the phone specific forum structure somewhat confusing. I had planned to jump straight to the General Android Q&A and Troubleshooting Forum, but decided it was better to try here first... maybe that was incorrect?

You make a VALID point about starting from scratch, I will certainly admit, but comparatively, I don't believe my phone is THAT modded, it is relatively stock compared to what a lot of users do with their phone here. There are many things I could try and haven't, such as trying a pre-NAE modem, but since the NAE modem WAS working, my expectations are that that would not help. While not starting from scratch, I have regressed CONSIDERABLY I feel, by Nandroiding back to the point before I believe I had the issue (although admittedly, I then reinstalled pretty much everything, possibly including whatever is causing my issue). I can Nandroid back to MF9, which I have NOT done, and see if the problem still exists, which would certainly seem worthwhile and something I SHOULD do.

One thing I will mention is that I haven't is that this thread Galaxy S4/Note 3/Mega - Update Profile/PRL/HFA Fix for Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile/etc makes me fear (very possibly incorrectly) that my issue may be caused by my MDN, MIN, Profile 0 and Profile 1 being incorrect (thinking I corrupted them while messing with the APNs), but the ability to fix them as described in the thread is a bit beyond my capability AND if this was the issue, again, I don't think the mobile connection should be working at all, not just stop working after a while.

Also, just for the sake clarity I should mention this: when my phone looses the mobile connection, if I try to make a phone call, it just dials and will not stop dialing (though not actual 'dialing' can be heard). Attempting to end the call accomplishes nothing. If I force close the Phone app, the notification bar turns green. I just tried the app Disable Service today while my mobile connection was lost. I disabled any service I found running that I thought MIGHT end the Phone running (green notification bar and unable to end call). Numerous service that I ended would not end. Nothing I ended ended the Phone running and I ended up rebooting and re-enabling everything (except for com.sec.enterprise.mdm.services.vpn.knoxvpn.KnoxVpnEngine, which was running under Enterprise VPN Service, while com.sec.enterprise.mdm.services.vpn.old.EnterpriseVpnAnyconnect was NOT running... I believed I had deleted ALL Knox files from my phone, but I am unable to find where the 'KnoxVpnEngine' is located, both of these appear to be in the same Lib file to my limited understanding, in data/data/com.sec.enterprise.mdm.services.vpn/lib, which is a symbolic link to data/app-lib. If they are BOTH in this same lib file, then I do not know how to remove the Knox portion... and I may sometimes sound like I know more than I do I should point out, I just try my best.)

I WOULD greatly appreciate if ANYONE would let me know if I am correct in my belief that this is the GENERAL Galaxy S4 forum, or I am incorrect about this.

Lennyz1988, I have recently been becoming very disillusioned here, I spend a great deal of time here answering other users questions, but seem to have great difficulty getting anyone to answer the rare questions that I have. Just finally receiving A RESPONSE to this thread has made my day and I GREATLY appreciate your input! :highfive: :good: :)

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
As much as I want to help you. My knowledge of the Sprint version of the S4 is limited. It's a completely different phone.

The reason why I suggest to start from scratch is because this is a strange problem. If you continue to work on a non standard android version, then chances are solutions will not not work properly or not work at all. Because it's possible that some frozen or deleted app (of deleted file) is causing this. A factory reset will not help then because it will only wipe /data and not /system.

What if you make a nandroid backup of your current setup and then just start from scratch. That way we can try to solve it from a fresh start and you can always revert.

You have to guide me a little because i'm not that familiar with the Sprint. From what I understand is that you are running the NAE version on the old bootloader (correct me if i'm wrong).

Is it possible that you do a complete wipe from the custom recovery (the option prepare for a new rom) and flash a clean custom 4.4.2 TW based rom? The reason why I would suggest using a custom rom is because all the Knox apps will already be deleted already. Then after you have flashed the rom, don't install any apps that could interfere and don't delete/freeze any app. You can of course install apps like Facebook/Whatsapp, but don't use any Xposed modules etc.

I don't know how it is on the Sprint version, but on our version, if you are on the old bootloader, then you need to have a specific modem to work with the 4.4.2 rom. Make sure you got the proper modem on your device.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
Thanks!

As much as I want to help you. My knowledge of the Sprint version of the S4 is limited. It's a completely different phone.

First of all, I seriously cannot express how grateful I am to you for your ATTEMPT to help me! I completely understand your knowledge of the Sprint version of my phone is limited, but you have already provided me MUCH more assistance than anyone in the Sprint specific forum. While I would love for someone to to tell me do "x" and then "y" and your phone will be fixed, when I came to THIS forum, I was only really hoping for general ideas that would help me think about my issue and you have certainly provided them! :highfive:

(IMPORTANT NOTE): When I 'dispute or disagree' with what you say in the following, I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE INCORRECT IN ANY WAY, I am just expressing my PERSONAL current understanding of my situation, which I feel helps me to think these things through and might or might not make things clearer for you. I will also provide MUCH MORE information than I'm expecting YOU to think about or respond to, I'm really just recording it, which also assists ME thinking about it.

The reason why I suggest to start from scratch is because this is a strange problem. If you continue to work on a non standard android version, then chances are solutions will not not work properly or not work at all. Because it's possible that some frozen or deleted app (of deleted file) is causing this. A factory reset will not help then because it will only wipe /data and not /system.

You are very much correct about it being a strange problem! What I find MOST STRANGE about is that it occurs at some point, usually at least about 12 hours after booting my phone. IF I never had a mobile connection and GPS, it would MUCH less strange. I recently helped another Sprint user who had installed a non-Sprint specific Google ROM (a mistake in the first place, no doubt) ►►[AOSP] Official 4.4.4 - S4 Google Edition - Stable-R2 - Feel the Experience of Nexus◄◄ which worked fine, but he had NO mobile connection. ROMs are CERTAINLY not my area of expertise, having only ever been stock-rooted, but I took it upon myself to assist this user because he was new and the KT-SGS4 kernel he was using with this ROM, I noticed, appeared to me to be the KitKat version, and I believed from the ROM that it should be the AOSP version. Had him flash the AOSP version of the kernel, which resulted in bootloops. Then I discovered that there are Google versions of the KT-SGS4 4.4.4 kernel for other carriers, but not for Sprint, which is the kernel he had in the first place, which comes with the ROM. Apparently, it all works fine on the Sprint phone, but unsurprisingly to me, you get no Sprint mobile connection. I was able to find a similar Sprint specific ROM, which he flashed and it completely solved his issues. But I digress...

What if you make a nandroid backup of your current setup and then just start from scratch. That way we can try to solve it from a fresh start and you can always revert.

You have to guide me a little because i'm not that familiar with the Sprint. From what I understand is that you are running the NAE version on the old bootloader (correct me if i'm wrong).

Yes, I am running NAE with MF9 bootloader. This is because I started on MF9 without Knox. If I upgraded to the NAE bootloader, I would never be able to go back to MF9, because of Knox. Numerous people have told me Knox does not matter because I am out of warranty anyway, however I PREFER to have the option to go back to MF9 if I should need to, which is why I upgraded in this way. I followed an established upgrade path to achieve this and have seen nobody else who has has used that upgrade method develop this issue.

Is it possible that you do a complete wipe from the custom recovery (the option prepare for a new rom) and flash a clean custom 4.4.2 TW based rom? The reason why I would suggest using a custom rom is because all the Knox apps will already be deleted already. Then after you have flashed the rom, don't install any apps that could interfere and don't delete/freeze any app. You can of course install apps like Facebook/Whatsapp, but don't use any Xposed modules etc.

I think this is probably the best suggestion I have received so far. I have NEVER not used a stock rooted ROM, because my main desire is stability and that is where I have believed I would find it. However, I think it is time for me to investigate a custom ROM, at least try one, and I have posted a thread in the Sprint forum for recommendations (and I'll certainly do some research myself). You are really pushing me in a direction that I NEED TO BE PUSHED because it is obviously a direction I need to go but have been avoiding, for some reason. Either custom ROM, or even back to MF9 and then upgrading again. I'm not sure WHY I haven't tried it yet. Honestly, assuming the issue goes away, I hate the idea of SLOWLY adding things back in until the issue occurs again (IF it does)... I don't know if I am to impatient for that or what it is. I don't know if I am impatient if I can deal with having a phone that continually looses the mobile connection and GPS for two months, so its a bit of a contradiction! :silly:

I don't know how it is on the Sprint version, but on our version, if you are on the old bootloader, then you need to have a specific modem to work with the 4.4.2 rom. Make sure you got the proper modem on your device.

I'm actually a bit familiar with the modem issues on your phones from attempting to help a user in this thread: [REF] GALAXY S4 (I9500/I9505) GSM / NON-HLOS - MODEM'S Collection (Odin/CWM/TWRP) who was getting the unhelpful "read the op" replies (in a circle) which WHERE NOT answering his question! But these issues do not exist on the Sprint version. I COULD try going back to a modem version prior to NAE, but SINCE the NAE modem WAS working in the beginning all the time and because it works FOR A WHILE now, I don't see that being the problem.

So, as it stands, my next step seems likely to be a ROM flash. I'm grateful for all your time and assistance! :good:

Last edited:

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
First of all, I seriously cannot express how grateful I am to you for your ATTEMPT to help me! I completely understand your knowledge of the Sprint version of my phone is limited, but you have already provided me MUCH more assistance than anyone in the Sprint specific forum. While I would love for someone to to tell me do "x" and then "y" and your phone will be fixed, when I came to THIS forum, I was only really hoping for general ideas that would help me think about my issue and you have certainly provided them! :highfive:

(IMPORTANT NOTE): When I 'dispute or disagree' with what you say in the following, I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE INCORRECT IN ANY WAY, I am just expressing my PERSONAL current understanding of my situation, which I feel helps me to think these things through and might or might not make things clearer for you. I will also provide MUCH MORE information than I'm expecting YOU to think about or respond to, I'm really just recording it, which also assists ME thinking about it.

You are very much correct about it being a strange problem! What I find MOST STRANGE about is that it occurs at some point, usually at least about 12 hours after booting my phone. IF I never had a mobile connection and GPS, it would MUCH less strange. I recently helped another Sprint user who had installed a non-Sprint specific Google ROM (a mistake in the first place, no doubt) ►►[AOSP] Official 4.4.4 - S4 Google Edition - Stable-R2 - Feel the Experience of Nexus◄◄ which worked fine, but he had NO mobile connection. ROMs are CERTAINLY not my area of expertise, having only ever been stock-rooted, but I took it upon myself to assist this user because he was new and the KT-SGS4 kernel he was using with this ROM, I noticed, appeared to me to be the KitKat version, and I believed from the ROM that it should be the AOSP version. Had him flash the AOSP version of the kernel, which resulted in bootloops. Then I discovered that there are Google versions of the KT-SGS4 4.4.4 kernel for other carriers, but not for Sprint, which is the kernel he had in the first place, which comes with the ROM. Apparently, it all works fine on the Sprint phone, but unsurprisingly to me, you get no Sprint mobile connection. I was able to find a similar Sprint specific ROM, which he flashed and it completely solved his issues. But I digress...

Yes, I am running NAE with MF9 bootloader. This is because I started on MF9 without Knox. If I upgraded to the NAE bootloader, I would never be able to go back to MF9, because of Knox. Numerous people have told me Knox does not matter because I am out of warranty anyway, however I PREFER to have the option to go back to MF9 if I should need to, which is why I upgraded in this way. I followed an established upgrade path to achieve this and have seen nobody else who has has used that upgrade method develop this issue.

I think this is probably the best suggestion I have received so far. I have NEVER not used a stock rooted ROM, because my main desire is stability and that is where I have believed I would find it. However, I think it is time for me to investigate a custom ROM, at least try one, and I have posted a thread in the Sprint forum for recommendations (and I'll certainly do some research myself). You are really pushing me in a direction that I NEED TO BE PUSHED because it is obviously a direction I need to go but have been avoiding, for some reason. Either custom ROM, or even back to MF9 and then upgrading again. I'm not sure WHY I haven't tried it yet. Honestly, assuming the issue goes away, I hate the idea of SLOWLY adding things back in until the issue occurs again (IF it does)... I don't know if I am to impatient for that or what it is. I don't know if I am impatient if I can deal with having a phone that continually looses the mobile connection and GPS for two months, so its a bit of a contradiction! :silly:

I'm actually a bit familiar with the modem issues on your phones from attempting to help a user in this thread: [REF] GALAXY S4 (I9500/I9505) GSM / NON-HLOS - MODEM'S Collection (Odin/CWM/TWRP) who was getting the unhelpful "read the op" replies (in a circle) which WHERE NOT answering his question! But these issues do not exist on the Sprint version. I COULD try going back to a modem version prior to NAE, but SINCE the NAE modem WAS working in the beginning all the time and because it works FOR A WHILE now, I don't see that being the problem.

So, as it stands, my next step seems likely to be a ROM flash. I'm grateful for all your time and assistance! :good:

Your welcome :) Did you make any progress?

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
I'm close to flashing a ROM, but OF COURSE my phone has currently gone 2 days and 10 hours (and counting) without loosing the mobile connection/GPS, which is a record I believe, so I better Nandroid again in case something fixed itself somehow...

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
UPDATE: Haven't flashed a ROM yet, actually got a recommendation for CyanogenMod M "stable" release channel, which I wasn't aware of, which I am seriously considering now. I came across an unrelated thread that where a two user's basically described having my issue and another user said it is caused by the KT-SGS4 kernel. I contacted Ktoonsez, the author of the kernel, he says this is not true, though I am not sure he can be sure that is the case with our phones (he does not own one). While this does not make sense to me, since switching to the Interactive governor, I have NOT had the issue (KNOCK ON WOOD), and the user who mentioned this being a kernel issue did mention possible governor related problems, but I'm not SURE I have had the phone on long enough without rebooting to confirm that the issue is gone with this governor. :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.