Knox - will you still buy or not?

Will you still buy it if knox is implemented?

• Yes, Doesn't Really Affect Me

Votes: 86 24.2%
  • Yes If knox reset solution is found

Votes: 72 20.2%
  • Nope,i'm happy with my current phone

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • No F*** You Samsung

Votes: 141 39.6%
  • Not Really Sure

Votes: 39 11.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
ex Johannesburg now SoCal
I think that until someone who has rooted and tripped knox, gets their warranty refused it's all just speculation.
How geared up are the various walk in carrier service centers to check for this?

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I think that until someone who has rooted and tripped knox, gets their warranty refused it's all just speculation.
How geared up are the various walk in carrier service centers to check for this?

if your carrier does warranty fixes for you, they will never know unless you end up with a knowledgeable one

however, if you turn this into samsung for warranty, i suspect they will find out and purposely look for it

BruceElliott

Aug 31, 2010
San Antonio
I´m not sure at the Moment.
Losing Warranty if the KNOX Count goes to 0x1 when rooting the brand new Device ist not the best choice for me now.

Regards

I agree. Having used my S5 for a few days, I do not see a need for deleting/freezing apps due to speed problems. It is plenty fast as-is.

Still, I will miss being able to freeze an app with Titanium if the app has outrageous permissions or appears to be communicating to the outside world when it should not be.

An aside comment: My original Galaxy S had a 16 GB internal SD card and an empty external slot. 1.5 GB remaining at the time of transferring everything over to my S5 on Saturday. The T-Mobile S5 also has 16 GB internal SD storage. My 5-6 GB music would not transfer over due to "out of space" message. Not surprising that the new system eats up more non user data space. Looks like I will be getting an external SD card now...

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
If I go to my carrier and the s5 bootloader is locked with Knox..
I will buy a different phone.

I think Samsung had pretty much seen the last of my money.
Unless they offer a reasonable way to turn off Knox.

written in your mud with my stick

Captain Zero

Jan 7, 2011
Los Angeles
www.sevenforums.com
Knox

I'll share my experience for what it's worth.. I returned my S4's and picked up two S5's. The 4's had been heavily mod'd and were, of course, rooted.

While the lady at the store was getting my new phones ready I did a factory restet/wipe on the spot. It took a minute and she just glanced at it. I powered down, popped my SIM and external SD and handed it over. Done.

The Knox counter had been tripped and the status for the phone was 'custom', not 'official ' when it's stock.

Maybe I got lucky with my rep but she didn't seem equipped or interested to even check the device and by the time it gets back to Samsung for reconditioning it won't matter.

Granted, this wasn't a service call or a repair issue with a trained monkey. If they're doing their job, they'd quickly spot the flag but even so, most don't care in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using xda app-developers app

st3chn0

Jul 24, 2010
Leeds
I'll share my experience for what it's worth.. I returned my S4's and picked up two S5's. The 4's had been heavily mod'd and were, of course, rooted.

While the lady at the store was getting my new phones ready I did a factory restet/wipe on the spot. It took a minute and she just glanced at it. I powered down, popped my SIM and external SD and handed it over. Done.

The Knox counter had been tripped and the status for the phone was 'custom', not 'official ' when it's stock.

Maybe I got lucky with my rep but she didn't seem equipped or interested to even check the device and by the time it gets back to Samsung for reconditioning it won't matter.

Granted, this wasn't a service call or a repair issue with a trained monkey. If they're doing their job, they'd quickly spot the flag but even so, most don't care in my experience.

That's only good if your buying from the samsung store many of us have brought it through third party

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

pnr2020

Jan 29, 2011
gloucestershire
im from uk and have a sumsung repair centre a mile from me they really dont care about knox and will repair or replace phone but just incase one day they dont i got insurance with my provider witch is 24hr replacement only £9.99 a month so im covered

Captain Zero

Jan 7, 2011
Los Angeles
www.sevenforums.com

Since you have no warranty, my post doesn't apply to.you, does it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

longjohnsteve

Aug 26, 2012
I went from the S3 to the S5, KNOX hasnt been a problem on the s3, if you know what you're doing and accept the consequences of rooting you shouldnt have a problem. Flash counter gets tripped? so what, just take really good care of the phone and you should be fine IMO.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
So, even if you only root S5, Knox will be tripped? If not, how about installing custom ROMs/kernels?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

harise100

Oct 20, 2011
It is less cumbersome to simply trip the Knox flag, than to enter some long codes from manufacturers homepage.

Samsung is just doing what HTC and Sony are doing long time ago. Registering who activated the root access on the phone.

So I bought the phone and installed SuperSU on the same day.

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ewa12321

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
So you are saying you'd rather permanently have no warranty than enter IMEI code once?

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Unlocking the bootloader on HTC phones officially voids your warranty as well no different than tripping KNOX. With Sony it's a bit different as you seem to lose some drm related stuff/Sony engines but I don't pay attention to Sony devices.

At the end of the day it also depends where you live and luck of the draw. In the EU we have 2 year warranties and can argue with European law. They have to prove that us tampering with the software caused hardware damage. They can refuse to fix your product but most times they just fix it despite for example tripping Knox. I've previously sent previous Samsung devices running custom firmware and had no issues in warranty. But like I said it depends but most times here in the EU we should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

So, even if you only root S5, Knox will be tripped? If not, how about installing custom ROMs/kernels?

For custom roms and kernels you need a custom recovery, by installing a custom recovery you void Knox as well as rooting. There were patches before on the Note 3 to just root without voiding Knox but this method was patched on the Kit Kat update rendering it useless.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

THFourteen

Mar 20, 2012
Briefly considered not rooting mine due to this Knox business.

But after two days of struggling with the SD card crap on KitKat I couldn't cope and have rooted it.

Plus I want my sixaxis Bluetooth support too. And titanium backup. And custom ROMs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
This was at my carrier's store. Samsung store? Who pays retail for a phone?

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I always buy from a samsung store, it's more expensive, but my friends work there and I can spend hours their to check for problems like dead pixels, scratches and other problems, I also get a very good trade in price and many free gifts. From a carrier or other stores it's like 4 pixels or more for a exchange, and they give you the evil eyes if you check too long, and even with a slight scratch they will just say it isn't a problem.

I'm in the EU, I have a legal insurance and I have every bit the stubbornness to take things to the media and court if they refuse me my 2y warranty by breaking EU law. So I really don't care.

Opening your Xbox voids warranty too. Even your old VHS had that sticker. Unlocking a Wii or PSP voided your warranty. To unlock the bootloader on your TF700 you had to use an official Asus tool that registered you and voided your warranty.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll be getting it I could care less about my warranty being void. If the phone has a hardware failure they are forced to fix it. Leave my software alone. If I brick my device so be it it's my fault. Love Samsung products and will be getting the S5 as soon as it drops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    There is "Saferoot" that works for a bunch of phones. Does NOTTTT trip Knox and you're still rooted and good to go. You people needa read more before you write misleading comments.

And you need to consider all scenarios. All new devices will come with the knox bootloader already enabled. Try flashing a 3rd party kernel and see what happens... In essence, you will be stuck with ROMs compatible only with the stock touchwiz kernel. That means no future gpe, omnirom or cm. For some, root by itself is worth little if they are gonna be stuck with touchwiz.

Unlike the S4, where the first few iterations of the stock ROM didn't have the knox counter and you could essentially use the old bootloader with new custom roms, kernels and recoveries, all S5s will have the knox counter ready out of the box. And, you don't even know if there will be a saferoot for it yet.
    Yeah but... Can't you go custom rom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sure but... this is what I mean, the stock Nexus experience is way poorer than an OEM Android device. To get a Nexus to be like a full featured device you need to install dozens of apps (most of them paid) and rely on the cloud.
    Nexus 6 for me. FU Samsung and any other company with a locked bootloader.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I hate Knox! It's keeping me away from getting a samsung device :(

Sent from my LT26i