[INFO][ROOT] Stock 4.4.2 and Root Checker

Search This thread

Drachenminister

Oct 27, 2010
There seems to be no more Root Checker in 4.4.2 - this is what I have found on my phone. (D802.A6DEWH)

The phone came with stock 4.2.2 (d80210d-EUR-XX)
Took the OTA to d80210e-EUR-XX (still 4.2.2)
As there was no rooting done whatsoever the phone showed UNROOTED in download mode

then I rooted only the adb shell by copying over the g2_security file from ioroot as described in the manual method.
As this doesn't trip the root checker phone still showed UNROOTED

I investigated the hole root checker tool stuff using that adb root shell and found out, that there's a process called rctd (root checker tool daemon) using two files:
/persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg

/persist/rct is a binary file containing only 4 bytes:
Code:
40 42 0f 00
/persist/rct.cfg is a text file and in my case contained:
Code:
Not rooted

[g2:0197ec3553924872:4.16]
at this point I made a backup of those two files
then I remounted /system in rw mode knowing that this would probably trip the rct
after that /persist/rct.cfg contained something like
Code:
rooted

21.03.2014 19:56
remounted system read/write

and as expected download mode showed ROOTED

then I copied over a file named rct_security containing "forel.lee" as described here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45659334&postcount=21 and rebooted
After the reboot the rct_security was gone and download mode showed UNROOTED again

After that I upgraded to 4.4.2 by flashing a kdz for some d802 using the R&D Tool offline mode as described in method two here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Looking again into download mode it showed ROOTED although it clearly wasn't
I then thought that maybe that was because of the g2_security file still on the phone or maybe the fact that the rom was not made for exactly my device version or the fact that i had used R&D tool.
As I didn't have root then (not even in adb) I could not check the /persist/rct.cfg becaus I couldnt even ls /persist/

So when the update for my phone finally arived in normal LG Support Tool

I first flashed back to 4.2.2 using R&D offline and did a factory reset
download mode showed UNROOTED once more

Then again i updated to 4.4.2 (d80220b-EUR-XX), this time using stock LG Mobile Support tool (as I remember I didn't do a factory restet then)
looking into download mode showed ROOTED like after the first update to KitKat
still without root I couldn't investigate further.

Then root for 4.4.2 arived

Once rooted again I found that at least in my phone there was no process nor binary called "rctd" anymore and also no /persist/rct or /persist/rct.cfg

Then I copied over those two files from my backup from 4.2.2 and after that download mode finally shows UNROOTED once more (despite the fact that this time the phone really is fully rooted)

MY CONCLUSIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS

Download mode only looks into /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg and shows ROOTED or UNROOTED acordingly (and ROOTED if the files are missing)

Stock 4.2.2 has rctd so when you flash back a 4.2.2 kdz root is removed and /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg get created UNROOTED

Stock 4.4.2 has no rctd (at least when flashed through kdz) and by flashing 4.4.2 kdz /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg get erased -> ROOTED because files are missing)

Doing the OTA from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 maybe just doesent touch the whole /persist partition and therefor leaves those two files the way they where thus stating UNROOTED in 4.4.2 if that has been the case in 4.2.2

If taking the OTA like flashing the kdz too has no rctd then rooting the phone after the OTA should still keep showing UNROOTED in download mode.

Drachenminister

Oct 27, 2010
you need to be rooted to get UNROOTED

further investigation yielded that for an UNROOTED in download mode you only need one file and with a HEX-editor you can easily create that yourself it's 4 bytes long and "40 42 0f 00" in Hex. Name it "rct" and put it into "/persist" and that's it.

the second file is a text file named "rct.cfg" in the same folder and only gets shown when you press "Display Result" in the LG RCT Test in the Hidden Menu (3845#*802#) - you can put what you want into that or even have none it does not interfere with what is shown in download mode.

here is a link to those two files https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33463122/rct_status_files.zip

hezy5e2y.jpg

philfna

Apr 15, 2011
Could you list how to access the persist partition and copy the files over?

thanks

philfna

Apr 15, 2011
Copied files still shows the phone is rooted...D800 4.4.2

Last edited:

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
So, If I understand this thread properly, a flash in download mode to Kitkat does not clear root??

Here we go ...

a) Was on rooted 4.2 JellyBean with TWRP recovery.

b) Used hacked LGFlashTool method to restore to stock KDZ.

c) But while (b), I accidentally took OTA because I did not use offline method.

As a result, I now have 4.4.2 KitKat and lost root.

Will it still show rooted in recovery? I would check but I just dropped my phone off for warranty today for GPS problem.

I am going to scream very loudly if it shows as rooted still. My bad for not going to checking but I thought the LGFlash to KitKat would unroot the flag.

What to do:

1) Go get my phone back ASAP and make 100% sure it is not showing root.

2) Relax - LGFLashTool to KitKat clears flag.

3) Relax - the service centre really does not check such things for repairs.

Who knows?

Last edited:

somboons

Apr 25, 2011
Bangkok
Download mode between JB and KK is different. the battery status in download mode JB show B57 but in KK show User B57 .
how can change ?

somboons

Apr 25, 2011
Bangkok
download mode work.but hidden menu why?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-12-15-51-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-12-15-51-05.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There seems to be no more Root Checker in 4.4.2 - this is what I have found on my phone. (D802.A6DEWH)

The phone came with stock 4.2.2 (d80210d-EUR-XX)
    Took the OTA to d80210e-EUR-XX (still 4.2.2)
    As there was no rooting done whatsoever the phone showed UNROOTED in download mode

then I rooted only the adb shell by copying over the g2_security file from ioroot as described in the manual method.
    As this doesn't trip the root checker phone still showed UNROOTED

I investigated the hole root checker tool stuff using that adb root shell and found out, that there's a process called rctd (root checker tool daemon) using two files:
    /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg

/persist/rct is a binary file containing only 4 bytes:
    Code:
    40 42 0f 00
    /persist/rct.cfg is a text file and in my case contained:
    Code:
    Not rooted

at this point I made a backup of those two files
    then I remounted /system in rw mode knowing that this would probably trip the rct
    after that /persist/rct.cfg contained something like
    Code:
    rooted

21.03.2014 19:56
    remounted system read/write

and as expected download mode showed ROOTED

then I copied over a file named rct_security containing "forel.lee" as described here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45659334&postcount=21 and rebooted
    After the reboot the rct_security was gone and download mode showed UNROOTED again

After that I upgraded to 4.4.2 by flashing a kdz for some d802 using the R&D Tool offline mode as described in method two here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Looking again into download mode it showed ROOTED although it clearly wasn't
    I then thought that maybe that was because of the g2_security file still on the phone or maybe the fact that the rom was not made for exactly my device version or the fact that i had used R&D tool.
    As I didn't have root then (not even in adb) I could not check the /persist/rct.cfg becaus I couldnt even ls /persist/

So when the update for my phone finally arived in normal LG Support Tool

I first flashed back to 4.2.2 using R&D offline and did a factory reset
    download mode showed UNROOTED once more

Then again i updated to 4.4.2 (d80220b-EUR-XX), this time using stock LG Mobile Support tool (as I remember I didn't do a factory restet then)
    looking into download mode showed ROOTED like after the first update to KitKat
    still without root I couldn't investigate further.

Then root for 4.4.2 arived

Once rooted again I found that at least in my phone there was no process nor binary called "rctd" anymore and also no /persist/rct or /persist/rct.cfg

Then I copied over those two files from my backup from 4.2.2 and after that download mode finally shows UNROOTED once more (despite the fact that this time the phone really is fully rooted)

MY CONCLUSIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS

Download mode only looks into /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg and shows ROOTED or UNROOTED acordingly (and ROOTED if the files are missing)

Stock 4.2.2 has rctd so when you flash back a 4.2.2 kdz root is removed and /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg get created UNROOTED

Stock 4.4.2 has no rctd (at least when flashed through kdz) and by flashing 4.4.2 kdz /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg get erased -> ROOTED because files are missing)

Doing the OTA from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 maybe just doesent touch the whole /persist partition and therefor leaves those two files the way they where thus stating UNROOTED in 4.4.2 if that has been the case in 4.2.2

If taking the OTA like flashing the kdz too has no rctd then rooting the phone after the OTA should still keep showing UNROOTED in download mode.
    you need to be rooted to get UNROOTED

further investigation yielded that for an UNROOTED in download mode you only need one file and with a HEX-editor you can easily create that yourself it's 4 bytes long and "40 42 0f 00" in Hex. Name it "rct" and put it into "/persist" and that's it.

the second file is a text file named "rct.cfg" in the same folder and only gets shown when you press "Display Result" in the LG RCT Test in the Hidden Menu (3845#*802#) - you can put what you want into that or even have none it does not interfere with what is shown in download mode.

here is a link to those two files https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33463122/rct_status_files.zip

hezy5e2y.jpg
    Guide - http://youtu.be/CB1fDR0UakU

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Cool beans. Good find

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk
    Could you list how to access the persist partition and copy the files over?

thanks

you need to be rooted to access that folder ;)
    use root adb shell or terminal emulator in root mode or any root explorer