Samsung Focus On Straight Talk w/ Working MMS

Search This thread

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
Three things, first you will need to find the xml for T-Mobile. Second, why T-Mob? For $45 more you get real 3G and it's unlimited. I used to have T-Mob until I found out about ST byod, it's no contest. Third, without a data plan this is all a moot point, you need data for MMS.

Sorry I definitely should have been more clear and included all info, my bad. I WILL be going to Walmart to get the $30 monthly 4g plan with unlimited web text and 100 minutes of calling. So come Thursday when I switch services I'll want MMS working. From there how do I get everything working? (I don't want my parents paying a lot for my phone, I wouldn't even have this if it weren't for the challenge)

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Sorry I definitely should have been more clear and included all info, my bad. I WILL be going to Walmart to get the $30 monthly 4g plan with unlimited web text and 100 minutes of calling. So come Thursday when I switch services I'll want MMS working. From there how do I get everything working? (I don't want my parents paying a lot for my phone, I wouldn't even have this if it weren't for the challenge)
I'm not aware of any way to get the $45 unlimited plan through Wal-Mart. AFAIK, you can only get it through straighttalkgsm.com. My tutorial is based on this plan although I imagine any ST plan would work.

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
I'm not aware of any way to get the $45 unlimited plan through Wal-Mart. AFAIK, you can only get it through straighttalkgsm.com. My tutorial is based on this plan although I imagine any ST plan would work.

dude I feel like such an idiot... I'm not using straight talk! I want to use the TMOBILE PLAN TTTTHROUGH WALMART.

WilsonRDFL

Sep 14, 2010
Samsung Focus S

Has this method been confirmed for the Samsung Focus S as well? Thanks for all the hard work guys!

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Has this method been confirmed for the Samsung Focus S as well? Thanks for all the hard work guys!
Congratulations! You have just volunteered to be the first guinea pig on the Focus S. Seriously, give it a shot and report back, that's how this whole forum thing works. I don't see anything that would brick your phone or anything like that. It's not like you're writing a new image file or updating the radios.

WilsonRDFL

Sep 14, 2010
Sweet! I'll give it a go and report back. My main concern was whether there was a possibility of bricking it.

Papa Bear332

May 5, 2012
Fatclue,

I want to say "thank you" for all your help with getting MMS to work on the Samsung Focus while using Straight Talk.

I got mine working about a week ago. I had some troubles getting things working right off the bat though. Nothing to do with your instructions, but more with trying to use my laptop to do everything. For some odd reason, I had a hell of a time getting Windows Phone SDK 7.1 to run on my laptop. Not sure why as its a Windows 7 machine, but no matter what I tried, couldn't get it to work.

No worries though....

as I have a great desktop in my rec-room also running Windows 7 and tried everything on it instead. Windows Phone SDK 7.1 loaded just fine, did the jailbreak, loaded the the root tools, sent your .zip to my phone and worked the magic. And I'm happy to report that MMS works now. Have some issues with MMS once in a blue moon, but overall, I'm completely happy with it.

The hardest part for me was finding the damn Application Deployment program as I couldn't find it through the "Start" button. But, a search through Windows Explorer helpe me with that. And once I got that going, the rest was cake following your instructions.

So, from one 50 year old to another, thanks a million.

For the rest of you that I trying this fix.....

stay at it. Fatclue's instructions really work.:D

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Thanks To All

No amount of money can replace the gratitude that all of you have shown. I've received help on these forums many times and I had to reciprocate. This is what makes this community work and it can only grow stronger. Now, if we could only weed out the trolls... :D

jiraiya_s

Jan 6, 2011
New York
Thanks for this tutorial. But I'm having some problems with downloading the attachment. I'm on clean rom(mango 1.3) when pressing the .xlm file (attachment) it says downloading but it opens the file on the browser and when i go to the root tool i see the email attachment file but it's empty. Please can somebody help.

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Thanks for this tutorial. But I'm having some problems with downloading the attachment. I'm on clean rom(mango 1.3) when pressing the .xlm file (attachment) it says downloading but it opens the file on the browser and when i go to the root tool i see the email attachment file but it's empty. Please can somebody help.
You're supposed to let it download and open on the browser. Once it has completely loaded on the browser you can find it in the email attachments folder in volatile. Patience is king when messing with these things.

Reactions: jiraiya_s

jiraiya_s

Jan 6, 2011
New York
Thanks that worked.one more thing I observed. When saving the straight talk in the diagnostic app (*#9908#) it says "loading straight talk pro"... should I wait for a message that it's done loading or just press close and restart the phone.

jiraiya_s

Jan 6, 2011
New York
It works. Thanks again for this post. One problem on my phone is that when I restart the phone the mms will not work. I read on a thread from wpcentral that on custom roms this will not work. The fix is that you save the profile and close the diagnosis app and do not restart the phone and it works perfectly even the Bing search works now on 3g(before it only worked on WiFi). So every time I restart my phone I just go to the diagnosis app save the straight talk profile(without restarting) close the diagnosis app and it works like a charm. Thanks a million times for this thread.:)

broryanschaeffer

May 14, 2012
Not receiving MMS.

I took all the steps in order to get MMS working on my Focus. I'm glad that I can send mms, but for some reason i cant receive MMS. Any suggestions???

broryanschaeffer

May 14, 2012
MMS working now!!

Nevermind i am now receiving MMS!!!! Thanks everyone for your posts! This was one of the deciding factors of using straight talk w/ Samsung Focus!!

Sep 11, 2010
Michigan
Oh goodness gravies...
Thank you so much for this post. It's been a month laboring over my wife's LG Quatum - it was your post that finally put enough pieces together so that I could get MMS to finally work. I had to modify a few steps for the LG, build my own XML, so I plan to write a separate guide -- but thank you, thank you, thank you!

(Attached is the provisional file I built, in case anybody needs it)

Attachments

• __PROV__ST_US_310_410_ENG.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 74

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Oh goodness gravies...
Thank you so much for this post. It's been a month laboring over my wife's LG Quatum - it was your post that finally put enough pieces together so that I could get MMS to finally work. I had to modify a few steps for the LG, build my own XML, so I plan to write a separate guide -- but thank you, thank you, thank you!

(Attached is the provisional file I built, in case anybody needs it)
Man, I gave up on the Quantum. I had one with the Telstra ROM because I need some form of Internet Sharing but I could never get the MMS worked out. I tried installing and renaming the same xml I used for the Focus but I could never get it to work. I noticed that your file has an underscore in front of "PROV". Please don't tell me that's all I was missing. My file did not have that underscore in front. If you reply to me and tell me that is all, I'm going to have the biggest Homer Simpson moment in history. Either way, I'll be watching for your tutorial.

Sep 11, 2010
Michigan
I don't think it was the underscore (though that might be part of it, who knows...) - I originally just renamed your Focus PROV file to match the format of the others on my Quantum (including an underscore) and as-is it didn't work for the Quantum - I had to pull the 310_410_ATT_ENG xml off the device, and copy your values into it when appropriate. There were some differences in flags set that were probably device-specific. There also seems to be some redundant code in the Quantum prov that must be necessary.

I just bought a Dell Venue Pro for myself - when I switch from Sprint to Straight Talk in a few weeks I get to start this whole process over again! From what I read there's a Dell App that will let me set the MMS settings though. Much easier switch than the Samsung and LG devices.

Now that you can just buy Straight Talk SIM's off the website, I can't believe more people don't make this switch. Especially AT&T customers - they already have a working phone, and Straight Talk will give them unlimited 3G for less half the contract price with no caps or throttling. No 4G I guess, but that has never been available on any carrier in my area so I don't mind. Over the course of 1 year I am going to save $500, and that includes the price of buying a new phone and paying an ETF.

Last edited:

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
I don't think it was the underscore (though that might be part of it, who knows...) - I originally just renamed your Focus PROV file to match the format of the others on my Quantum (including an underscore) and as-is it didn't work for the Quantum - I had to pull the 310_410_ATT_ENG xml off the device, and copy your values into it when appropriate. There were some differences in flags set that were probably device-specific. There also seems to be some redundant code in the Quantum prov that must be necessary.

I just bought a Dell Venue Pro for myself - when I switch from Sprint to Straight Talk in a few weeks I get to start this whole process over again! From what I read there's a Dell App that will let me set the MMS settings though. Much easier switch than the Samsung and LG devices.

Now that you can just buy Straight Talk SIM's off the website, I can't believe more people don't make this switch. Especially AT&T customers - they already have a working phone, and Straight Talk will give them unlimited 3G for less half the contract price with no caps or throttling. No 4G I guess, but that has never been available on any carrier in my area so I don't mind. Over the course of 1 year I am going to save $500, and that includes the price of buying a new phone and paying an ETF.
I have a DVP now as well. Getting MMS is such a breeze. Get the EM (##634#) and open the bottom option (MMS Settings). From there you'll just enter the appropriate settings (apn - att.mvno, Name - Straight Talk MMS, apn - att.mvno, MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com, MMS proxy - 66.209.11.33, port - 80). Keep "PAP" checked for both sets of settings and hit "apply". You're done! Don't forget to enter the correct apn in settings>cellular>add apn first and reboot. If you need a guide for USB tethering, I have one in the Dell Venue Pro section here. Good luck!

Reactions: time pilot aka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a reprint of a working solution I posted on WPCentral.com

Okay, I'm going to try to list the steps to get internet sharing and MMS working with Straight Talk, Please bear with me since I've only been playing with WP7 for a couple of weeks, I'm a webOS refugee and I seek asylum within the Windows world. A couple of props need to be handed out first. To Heathcliff74 at XDA for the terrific WP7 Root Tool and to the wonderful folks at the Windowbreak project for the interop unlock that allows us to do these fine things in Mango. Please note that the WindowBreak only works on Samsung devices. If you have an LG Quantum you can unlock by reg edit without having to do any additional downloads, hacking, etc. Last, but not least, the folks at MS for their Windows Phone SDK 7.1 which allows us to side-load XAP's.

1. Get the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 if you don't already have it. It's a large DL so be patient. The prog you will need to run from here is the "Application Deployment" to side-load the XAP's you will be using.
    2. Go to WindowBreak by WindowsPhoneHacker.com ON YOUR DEVICE!! Click on the "windowbreak me" link and follow the instructions. Trust me, it's quick and works perfectly.
    3. By now you should have an unlocked device and internet sharing available to you. If MMS is not a big deal to you, quit now and forever hold your peace. If you need it, continue with the sideshow.
    4. Fire up Zune and make sure you sync.
    5. Now the fun begins, go to the SDK app "Application Deployment and install the WP7 Root Tool from Heathcliff74 from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...4&d=1325517854
    6. If you get an error message that your device is pin-locked, go to your phone's app list and hit "interop unlock" because Zune will re-lock your phone at every sync.
    7. Now that you have WP7 Root Tools installed, you will notice that you have a file explorer tab. This will become your best friend.
    8. Extract the Straight Talk XML from the zip file below and email it to your phone. Tap on the download and save.
    9. In the file explorer find the folder called "Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments and find the XML. Cut and paste to the "provxml" folder in the root directory. If the folder is not there, click on the "+" icon at the bottom and create a provxml folder. There should be some XML's already in there that you would have seen when you were doing the windowbreak earlier. Another user told me that he didn't have the provxml folder so I instructed him to find the folders which have these existing XML's. They have names like "Gumi Test Bed, Suwon 2G Test Bed" and so forth.
    10. Now go to diagnostic (##634#) and enter *#9908# to get to the GPRS settings. This is the same step you had to do during the windowbreak part of this program except now you will select the "StraightTalk" XML you put in at step 9. Save, reboot and Voila! You should have working data and MMS. Send a test message to another phone and reply with another MMS to make sure you're receiving.

Please note that I've recited these steps from my diminished memory of close to 50 years old and I may have forgotten a step. The most important things to consider are that you have to unlock with windowbreak and you have to get that Straight Talk XML in the proper folder. Once you can get step 10 out of the way you're golden. I won't ask for PayPal donations because others have done the leg work, all I've done is consolidate some files and info and put them together. For that, a simple "Thank You" is all I need. God bless you and God bless our troops overseas. :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just wanted to revise by saying that this same procedure has netted me the same results with a Euro-version Omnia 7. Of note to those who have this wonderful piece of hardware, there are some extra settings that need to be played with for the optimal experience. The Omnia 7 is a tri-band phone for its 3G data. I was pissed beyond belief when I first got the phone and noticed a T-Mobile splash screen and only EDGE speeds. Luckily, there is a key in engineering mode that enables "all WCDMA" and Bam!! I have a beautiful 3G+ icon sitting on my header bar.

After you're in the diagnosis app (##634#) punch in *#2263# to get you to "Test Mode" for band preference. Select option "2" and on the next screen select option "6" for "WCDMA ALL" and exit. That's it! I wish it were more complicated than that.
    Just Tryin' To Help

Simple. There is a mountain of posts from people who hadn't figured out how to get MMS and/or internet sharing on their Focus phones. I stumbled upon a solution and decided to share it with all who could use it. I don't personally know anybody who would use this nor am I in it for the money or the glory. It's the least I could do since Heathcliff74 and others are the ones who have made the tools to accomplish this. Some of us don't bother to stream video or music, but I'm sure there are far more of us who send pictures to their friends and family or need to send/receive data on their tablets when away from a hotspot. In the end I did it out of a sense of community, and that's what XDA is, a community. Peace, love and soul.
    The xml should be in Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments as an xml file. From there you cut & paste to the provxml folder in root. Read step 9 carefully and start all over again if you have to. Get up, walk away and have a cup of coffee if you have to. As I mentioned, I'm a noob to this OS as well so don't feel bad. I nearly gave myself kidney stones and lung cancer from all the times I had to walk away for coffee and a smoke. Hang in there, a few more technically savvy people than myself have had difficulty but made it work.
    You're supposed to let it download and open on the browser. Once it has completely loaded on the browser you can find it in the email attachments folder in volatile. Patience is king when messing with these things.

I have a DVP now as well. Getting MMS is such a breeze. Get the EM (##634#) and open the bottom option (MMS Settings). From there you'll just enter the appropriate settings (apn - att.mvno, Name - Straight Talk MMS, apn - att.mvno, MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com, MMS proxy - 66.209.11.33, port - 80). Keep "PAP" checked for both sets of settings and hit "apply". You're done! Don't forget to enter the correct apn in settings>cellular>add apn first and reboot. If you need a guide for USB tethering, I have one in the Dell Venue Pro section here. Good luck!