Ubuntu OS

Search This thread

apatal

Feb 27, 2012
Manila
Just checking in/getting in line. Saw a demo at Engadget and the OS looks really promising. Hope a dev can optimize it for the NS. :)

poetxo

Feb 13, 2011
Waiting

I just hope they can get it working for the NS4G. I might waiver an upgrade for that one.

mutantlx

Jan 1, 2012
+1 on that might be nice for a an alternative to play with for a while.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

jophil2412

Jan 11, 2012
Bad Sassendorf
I hope that they will get it to work, but i think we might have good chances to see a rom since you can use the Android drivers (thats what i've read). So lets hope :)

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
I think there's a good chance NS will get ubuntu, but my question is how will it run? Most likely I'll have my N4 well before we ever see an ubuntu rom for NS4G, especially. I think sprint is going to put canonical through the ringer when it comes to getting binaries integrated, and it may never happen, because sprint doesn't want us flashing our cdma device. They are perfectly happy having us stay at ota firmware for the life of the device, whether it's activated or not. Google has a hard enough time getting sprint to release timely updates, and android DOMINATES the smartphone market. Ubuntu is really going to be a crapshot with cdma, methinks :(

Honestly, my opinion is to get a GSM nexus device if you want ubuntu for phone and you don't already own one....otherwise you may never see a build. Not one that actually utilizes the binaries to get a functioning phone and mobile data, at least :(

I think I should add that I would love to run ubuntu on any/every device I can get my hands on. I'm admittedly and openly an android fanboy...I know it....but ubuntu for phone could just bea the firmware os that makes me ditch android!! The thought of all my devices, including my PC all being able to sync every single app and piece of data is enough to make this uber-nerd's knees buckle. I recently switched to ubuntu full time. I don't even have a windows 7 partition on my pc anymore, and I haven't used windows 7 for more than 5 minutes on someone else's desktop in the ~4 months since I switched. It's been the best few months of my computer-related life!! I'm actually learning how to use a computer, rather than letting the computer use me lol

Last edited:
Reactions: apatal

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
I think I should mention the following, since it relates to whether Nexus S will get ubuntu or not.....

What we need:
ubuntuphonerequirements.png

What we have:
nexussspecs.png

It requires an arm cortex-9 cpu.....nexus s runs arm cortex-8. looks like once again, Nexus S will be getting the shaft. Get used to it, though.....it's not going to get any better for us. Nexus S is a dead device.....people don't give a rat's ass about us anymore, it seems :( It's amazing to me that the N1 got such a long life of support. They got every single android version up until ICS launched.....but as soon as Nexus S falls two generations behind it gets dropped like a bad habit. You know what NS got??? About 15 GB updates, one ICS, and it barely even made it to JB by the skin of its teeth. Google didn't even comment on whether we'd be getting it or not until the last second because they didn't want to give it to us at all.

It just seems to me like all any manufacturer cares about anymore is making people buy new devices. No companies give the slightest crap about what the customer wants anymore, and it's just sad. There's absolutely no reason NS4G couldn't have at least gotten 4.2 just to keep it up to par with the gsm NS, at least.

Reactions: NexusZomby

fedpisano

I do not want to be a retrograde, but I think the smartphone market is faster than our money. The phones go on and you have not even finished paying for your new mobile phone that is already the most powerful. We are the victims of war competition with people who do not care about the customers. Android then lately is worse off. Mobile phones are more powerful then use that usually makes an average consumer. To run the most used applications do not need 2 gb of ram and quadcore processors. This is not to say that I do not attract smartphones like the Nexus 4 ...

I could be wrong, but I think Ubuntu os will run on Nexus s as it spins in a good Android 4.2.1 and thanks to XDA developers and Cyanogenmod.

BenHeng

Jan 17, 2012
Cannonical website do say that it's develloped for dual-core devices.... our phone having outdated (compared to minimal specs) single core processors, I fear we'll never have a trully good experience...

Jhyrachy

if you remember well, someone ported ICS on nexus 1.
it was not fast or smooth, but they done it.

I'll hope that someone could make the same "miracle" with ubuntu.
Maybe it will bot be a daily-use ROM, but, at least, we could try it.

4I-I

Jul 7, 2011
Stuttgart
Cannonical website do say that it's develloped for dual-core devices.... our phone having outdated (compared to minimal specs) single core processors, I fear we'll never have a trully good experience...

Dual core is just for the "good" devices single core arm 9 is the lowest specs a phone should have! But maybe someone will get it working on our arm 8!

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
It just seems to me like all any manufacturer cares about anymore is making people buy new devices. No companies give the slightest crap about what the customer wants anymore, and it's just sad. There's absolutely no reason NS4G couldn't have at least gotten 4.2 just to keep it up to par with the gsm NS, at least.

There comes a point in time when a manufacture has to move on. Nexus S with 4.2 is slow as hell and laggy and trips over its own feet most of the time. 4.1.2 was pretty much the same story. Most were surprised it even got Jellybean in the first place as we were calling this phone slow and outdated on ICS. It's two years old.. In technology that equals about 20 years. I'm nearing the end of my two year contract on this phone and can't wait to move my phone plan off it. I honestly never use it except for a phone anymore as my Nexus 7 is my work horse. The only way to enjoy this handset is get something light like RasBean and don't load it up with persistant apps.. CM 10.1 is complete joke on it and I honestly think they're wasting their resources developing for this phone still. Just my opinion.

It's a legendary device and labored on far longer in active development than it should have.

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
There comes a point in time when a manufacture has to move on. Nexus S with 4.2 is slow as hell and laggy and trips over its own feet most of the time. 4.1.2 was pretty much the same story. Most were surprised it even got Jellybean in the first place as we were calling this phone slow and outdated on ICS. It's two years old.. In technology that equals about 20 years. I'm nearing the end of my two year contract on this phone and can't wait to move my phone plan off it. I honestly never use it except for a phone anymore as my Nexus 7 is my work horse. The only way to enjoy this handset is get something light like RasBean and don't load it up with persistant apps.. CM 10.1 is complete joke on it and I honestly think they're wasting their resources developing for this phone still. Just my opinion.

It's a legendary device and labored on far longer in active development than it should have.

then you need to check your settings, tweaks, kernel, etc. I'm getting amazing performance from 4.2!! ICS was a little slow, but 4.1 jb fixed all of that. I had some problems with vanilla, untouched aosp but when I started tweaking it and got a good solid kernel installed, everything was as it should be. If it can be done with roms, kernels and tweaks available to me on this website, it should be able to be done by the aosp team.....i'm just saying.... ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Porting guides will available tomorrow:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

I will be working on a port for the Nexus S so stay tuned, you guys won't be left in the dark.

Tom
    I know its coming, I will just sit here and wait for ubuntu roms for this phone.
    I will be working on a port for the Nexus S so stay tuned, you guys won't be left in the dark.

Tom

I'm working on a port too. For now I'm able to boot into the GUI, but it's laggy ( I can't get powervr modules to load, even with the relative service ), RIL works (you can make calls but there's no sound) but the camera doesn't work at all.
    It's not a good start, but it's a start :D
    I'm working on a port too. For now I'm able to boot into the GUI, but it's laggy ( I can't get powervr modules to load, even with the relative service ), RIL works (you can make calls but there's no sound) but the camera doesn't work at all.
    It's not a good start, but it's a start :D

I recently bought a nexus s just to work on a port for ubuntu phone. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but due to the midwest snow storm it was not. I'll be working on this as soon as it get here and would love to work with anyone else that plans to as well.

Should get the phone today hopefully. :good:

then you need to check your settings, tweaks, kernel, etc. I'm getting amazing performance from 4.2!! ICS was a little slow, but 4.1 jb fixed all of that. I had some problems with vanilla, untouched aosp but when I started tweaking it and got a good solid kernel installed, everything was as it should be. If it can be done with roms, kernels and tweaks available to me on this website, it should be able to be done by the aosp team.....i'm just saying.... ;)