M8, Grrrrrrr !!!!!!

Search This thread

j0hn0n1

Dec 5, 2010
Gr. Manchester
While the M8 is a nice device, I hate it. This device has caused me no end of problems..

Every time I try to flash anything, it kills it, boot loops, stuck at HTC logo, etc... I've never had so much trouble with any device, even changing simple settings seems to do the same.

Changing the dpi - Stuck at HTC Logo...
Installed Xposed (Not using ART) - Stuck at HTC Logo...
Restore Nandroid Backup - Stuck at..... blah blah blah... :rolleyes:

So I'm trying to get back to stock and then maybe start again. If I try to flash my stock recovery backup, it then won't boot into recovery it just goes back to HBoot, I've tried downloading Stock Recoveries, but I'm not sure if it's the right one. I've tried zipping the recovery into the 0P6BIMG.zip and flashing it through HBoot, but this doesn't work. My version-main is missing so, I can't check it with the one in the android-info.txt. I think it's something to do with Firewater S-Off.

I'm stuck, anybody else having similar problems... :confused:

Thanks ...John...

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT44MWM08826
(bootloader) imei: ***************
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: ORANG001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.019s

snwman

Dec 31, 2011
I see that you're S-OFF, but is your bootloader still unlocked? There's a method of unlocking/locking the hboot without HTCDev if you're S-OFF. You could try running a RUU exe then unlocking your bootloader again. S-OFF will stay through the RUU.

I can't see it being firewater problem cause there is so many users including myself with no problems. But I had unlocked my boot loader before I s off'd with firewater

Reactions: j0hn0n1

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
M8,

668022d1396114771-sa-dienstdolch-tiger-5074616.jpg

Reactions: Heisenberg420

j0hn0n1

Dec 5, 2010
Gr. Manchester
Yeah, My bootloader is still unlocked. I had used HTC Dev before using firewater too.. I think the problem was there before I'd S-Off'd, so I don't think Firewater caused that, but I had read that some people had missing a version-main after using it...

I had thought about flashing an RUU, as this has usually been the answer in the past, but I could only find them for the Verizon and T-Mobile US versions. As far as I'm aware they haven't released one for the international version..

I was thinking about converting to the GPE edition. Hopefully replacing the HBoot and recovery in the process, but would I still need to know the version-main..

:fingers-crossed:

Thanks ...John...

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Yeah, My bootloader is still unlocked. I had used HTC Dev before using firewater too.. I think the problem was there before I'd S-Off'd, so I don't think Firewater caused that, but I had read that some people had missing a version-main after using it...

I had thought about flashing an RUU, as this has usually been the answer in the past, but I could only find them for the Verizon and T-Mobile US versions. As far as I'm aware they haven't released one for the international version..

I was thinking about converting to the GPE edition. Hopefully replacing the HBoot and recovery in the process, but would I still need to know the version-main..

Thanks ...John...

By the looks of things you only did S-OFF, rooted perhaps, custom recovery(Hence missing main-version) but you haven't converted to any other device and/or went with SuperCID? Did you do an OTA update to the newest 2.xx.xxx.x firmware? If not then perhaps you're device is still on the 1.54.61.5 version.

You can grab a nandroid backup + stock recovery from the COLLECTION of Stock backup's thread. ORANG001 is in there. Assuming of course you either did an OTA(When you bought the phone back in the early days) or bought it before the 2.xx.xxx.x update, chances are that your version number that you're looking for is 1.54.61.5 so that settles that issue then.

Reactions: j0hn0n1

j0hn0n1

Dec 5, 2010
Gr. Manchester
Yeah, I unlocked the boot loader with HTC Dev, then S'Off'd, rooted it and then installed a custom recovery almost straight after getting the phone. I then flashed ViperROM so I definitely didn't do any OTA's.
I didn't bother with SuperCID at the time because I didn't need it, I was just flashing ROMs, mostly. Then I stated noticing that almost every ROM that I'd flash would just hang at the HTC logo.

I managed to to restore the stock rom from my backups, but the recovery wouldn't take, although this is just a backup of the custom recovery that I first flashed. I had tried the orang001 backup from the collection of stock backups, and that wouldn't work either, and the same with the custom recoveries from the same page..

If I flash Philz recovery though, this works every time... TWRP I had some trouble with, but got it working eventually.. I just can't seem to get a stock recovery to work, no matter what..

Thanks ...John...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see that you're S-OFF, but is your bootloader still unlocked? There's a method of unlocking/locking the hboot without HTCDev if you're S-OFF. You could try running a RUU exe then unlocking your bootloader again. S-OFF will stay through the RUU.

I can't see it being firewater problem cause there is so many users including myself with no problems. But I had unlocked my boot loader before I s off'd with firewater
    Missing version-main is a TWRP 2.7 problem.

Thanks ...John...

By the looks of things you only did S-OFF, rooted perhaps, custom recovery(Hence missing main-version) but you haven't converted to any other device and/or went with SuperCID? Did you do an OTA update to the newest 2.xx.xxx.x firmware? If not then perhaps you're device is still on the 1.54.61.5 version.

You can grab a nandroid backup + stock recovery from the COLLECTION of Stock backup's thread. ORANG001 is in there. Assuming of course you either did an OTA(When you bought the phone back in the early days) or bought it before the 2.xx.xxx.x update, chances are that your version number that you're looking for is 1.54.61.5 so that settles that issue then.