GPS Issues

Search This thread

akastixx

Nov 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Has anyone else said any trouble with the GPS? It seems that I have to restart my phone in order for it to work a lot of times. It will not pick up any satellites (GPS Status, for example, will show 0 out of 0,) and then once I restart the phone, it will work like normal. What can I do to make this work right without restarting? I have yet to root the phone. I am on the Sprint version.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Has anyone else said any trouble with the GPS? It seems that I have to restart my phone in order for it to work a lot of times. It will not pick up any satellites (GPS Status, for example, will show 0 out of 0,) and then once I restart the phone, it will work like normal. What can I do to make this work right without restarting? I have yet to root the phone. I am on the Sprint version.

You could probably try safemode / factory reset and see how the phone works.

I would suggest to go to Sprint and exchange the phone if it persists.

akastixx

Nov 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4

I finally made it to a tech store. I hate dealing with Sprint Customer Service. Before I went there, I did a hard reset, waited it out a week, used it without my case for a few days, did GPSCLRX, used GPS Status, all the combinations of location and sprint/qualcomm "optimizations" and still had the issue.

When I took it to the store, the guy was trying to do everything in his power to give the phone back. He was checking stuff that had no bearing on anything, like adding the gps button to quicksettings, and adding my city to the world clock list. "Well it's working now, so you should be good." Of course it's working. I told you five times that GPS is ok when the phone is restarted, but gets 0/0 sats a few hours later. "It's the magnet on the case" I tried it for a couple of days without the case, next. "What is that program you showed me with the satellites, it's probably intefering." Take it off. Hard reset the phone again, just don't erase my SD card (with that level of incompetence, I should have brought it to them freshly reset without the card.) After a few more guesses, he finally gave it to the repair person. I had brought my other phone so they could activate it so I could take care of other business and come back, but the guy kept on doing other stuff. I was ready to go full retard on him, but the repair person came out, took me outside with the phone, told me he concluded that even the gps radio at that point in time was not behaving correctly, and that his htc one max had the same issue before he traded it in for a note 3. I get to pick up a new max on Wednesday. Hopefully this one will be ok.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Cool, can't you guys contact htc service directly? But I would love a new proper phone instead of repaired one, which might develop other problems later.

Sent from my HTC One max using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

akastixx

Nov 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Cool, can't you guys contact htc service directly? But I would love a new proper phone instead of repaired one, which might develop other problems later.

Sent from my HTC One max using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

HTC usually only does that if you buy it directly from them. As long as the phone is in the same or better condition than what I brought in (with the problems fixed, and rootable,) I'm good.

connexus

Aug 3, 2013
Boise, ID
Another twist

I have the Verizon flavor HTC One Max. Since day one, I have not been able to get decent GPS signal. Verizon has replaced my phone twice in less than a month. First one replaced the first day because the 3G radio didn't work. Second replaced because the GPS took forever to connect regardless of location or conditions. The third phone has the same GPS issue as the first two. No matter where I am, no matter how clear the skies with direct line of site, the phone cannot find a satellite to lock on. After a lot of research, I used the GPS Status app and used the Manage A-GPS State in tools to reset and then download GPS assistance data from the Internet. Nice try, but it did not make any difference. So on to the second set - I uninstalled Google Maps updates and then disabled it. (My phone is stock so I cannot uninstall it.) Suddenly, I CAN get GPS signal. In a couple minutes of turning on GPS, my phone finds satellites and knows where it is in the world. So for me, Google Maps had a conflict with HTC One Max's GPS ability. I don't know why, but this resolved the issue for me. Now if I could only have both Google Maps AND GPS. Suggestions welcome!

Update: Removing Google Maps worked for about 4 days, then I could no longer get GPS signal anywhere, anytime. Not sure what to do next. HTC is willing to attempt a repair, but they won't give me a loaner while they work on my phone. Not sure what I am going to do, but suggestions or advice are certainly welcome.

Update 2: April 7th I got the Android 4.4.2 update, and now the GPS works like it should. I can use Google maps with no problem - it also got an update that evening, which may or may not have helped resolve the issue/conflict. But now the phone GPS works and I no longer have a problem.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could probably try safemode / factory reset and see how the phone works.

I would suggest to go to Sprint and exchange the phone if it persists.

Also you want to calibrate your Compass. Or you will spin around and around if it does work after a reset. I tried using maps prior and the locks were roaming because of the missed calibration.
    The new phone gets a nice GPS lock in my apartment. That hardly happened with any phone. If only it would pick up the LTE better, but I have to fault Sprint and my apartment, not HTC on that one.