[Q] Woah! CWM problems

Search This thread

theshafe

Feb 4, 2010
So, last night i tried to flash GtabComb to my 1.1 Gtab. After 3 unsuccessful installs (which I now believe are attributed to the system partition size of only 200 rather than 250 [help here would also be apprciated]) i downloaded the latest Rom Manager and updated ClockWork Mod. After the initial scare that my SD card had been totally formatted, i found that for some reason, this new CWM likes to use the second SD card... You know, the one with no backups or anything saved to it. For now, I am running a random ROM (Vegan Gingerbread) until i find out how to switch the SD card read by CMW. So any help guys? It's probably something really simple I'm over looking.. Help is appreciated greatly. Thanks

Edit: On a side note, I finally got GtabComb to load on my tablet! Seems I only needed a little bit of patience...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
So, last night i tried to flash GtabComb to my 1.1 Gtab. After 3 unsuccessful installs (which I now believe are attributed to the system partition size of only 200 rather than 250 [help here would also be apprciated]) i downloaded the latest Rom Manager and updated ClockWork Mod. After the initial scare that my SD card had been totally formatted, i found that for some reason, this new CWM likes to use the second SD card... You know, the one with no backups or anything saved to it. For now, I am running a random ROM (Vegan Gingerbread) until i find out how to switch the SD card read by CMW. So any help guys? It's probably something really simple I'm over looking.. Help is appreciated greatly. Thanks

The best way to install CWM is through NVflash. Rom manager is really designed for phones not this tablet. NVflash is simple and easy to use as long as you have a desktop or laptop using either windows or Linux. Here is the link to guide you through those steps. Helped me out when I was in a jam.

http://viewsonic-gtablet-for-dummies...om/nvflash.htm

theshafe

Feb 4, 2010
Thanks for the advice! NVFlashing is a tad of a problem for me, however. I've actually commented on that particualr NVFlashing tutorial earlier today explaining how my computer won't recognize my tablet while it's in APX mode. I seem to have the worst luck with this kid of thing..:rolleyes:
Would there another way to change which card is being read?

Last edited:

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
Do not use Rom Manager on the Gtablet it will mess things up. You can go to this link and download a .zip installable version of CWM for your bootloader. There are versions for installing from either the internal or external sdcard. If you are not installing from the external sdcard, it is best to remove it.

You could also check out this thread, and this one for more info.

theshafe

Feb 4, 2010
It sure does mess things up! And that CWM.zip would be great had I not had another (worse) version already installed.. woe is me. I'll give those threads a read tomorrow and hope something turns up. Thanks for the links!

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
Do not use Rom Manager on the Gtablet it will mess things up. You can go to this link and download a .zip installable version of CWM for your bootloader. There are versions for installing from either the internal or external sdcard. If you are not installing from the external sdcard, it is best to remove it.

You could also check out this thread, and this one for more info.

That would be the way to go but if you can't access the current CWM you cannot get it to install anything. The only other alternative would be to figure out why the computer won't recognize the tablet in APX mode. What OS are you trying it with?

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
Try this:

Download this .zip file and extract it to your Gtablet's sdcard.

Using a root file manager (ES, Root Explorer, etc.) mount /system as read-write (rw) and move the downloaded files in each folder to their proper locations (copy the system/etc/recovery folder into /system/etc and the files in system/bin into /system/bin) and make sure all the permissions are correct. The recovery images should be -rw-r--r--, the scripts inside of /bin should be -rwxr-xr-x and flash_image should be -rw-r--r--.

Open a terminal emulator and type 'su' (without quotes) and allow SuperUser when it asks. Your shell prompt should go from a '$' to a '#'. Now type 'cwmrecovery.sh' (without quotes) and enter. That should install cwm-08 for you, just exit when it finishes and try to reboot into recovery. You can use the 'fixrecovery.sh' script to flash the stock 1.1 recovery if you ever need to.

See the last thread I linked to in my last post for more info on this. Good luck!

Reactions: theshafe

theshafe

Feb 4, 2010
Try this:

See the last thread I linked to in my last post for more info on this. Good luck!
Just extracted to the external SD that was being read from and updated from there with the new CWM and bam! .08 is on and working like a charm. Many thanks!

Another alternative would be to figure out why the computer won't recognize the tablet in APX mode. What OS are you trying it with?
I would love to know why it doesn't. I was previously using a froyo tap'n'tap, but now I am running 3.0.1. Would OS make a difference? I always assumed it was my tablet/PC's/luck

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
I would love to know why it doesn't. I was previously using a froyo tap'n'tap, but now I am running 3.0.1. Would OS make a difference? I always assumed it was my tablet/PC's/luck[/QUOTE]

The OS on the tablet doesn't matter since the APX mode is the tablets download mode. The OS on you computer is what might be the issue, or could even be just a bad USB port or even drivers being used. If the computer keeps promptings that software needs to be installed. Guied the it to install them from the extracted NVflash file and install the ones that are in the pack.

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
I would love to know why it doesn't. I was previously using a froyo tap'n'tap, but now I am running 3.0.1. Would OS make a difference? I always assumed it was my tablet/PC's/luck

As the post above said, the OS on your PC is probably your problem. Which OS are you using? WinXP, Win7? I can't for the life of me get Windows7 to recognize my ICS Gtablet but o'well!

If you are comfortable with using or trying Linux, you could try installing Knoppix on a USB drive and run that. I think Knoppix has everything set up for MTP & ADB already and is 'live' so no real configuration is needed to get it running (except for your wifi of course). Just use the Linux version included in most NvFlash packages. If you have a fairly powerful computer, you could also try running Linux in a VM, but Knoppix doesn't run in a VM very well.

My favorite is Arch Linux (not in a VM). Although you have to build and configure the system yourself from the ground up. Since I started using Linux I have really enjoyed it. It is much faster than Windows, more secure and gives me less problems than the Win PCs I deal with. Check out this site if you are interested in Linux.

Last edited:

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
As the post above said, the OS on your PC is probably your problem. Which OS are you using? WinXP, Win7? I can't for the life of me get Windows7 to recognize my ICS Gtablet but o'well!

If you are comfortable with using or trying Linux, you could try installing Knoppix on a USB drive and run that. I think Knoppix has everything set up for MTP & ADB already and is 'live' so no real configuration is needed to get it running (except for your wifi of course). Just use the Linux version included in most NvFlash packages. If you have a fairly powerful computer, you could also try running Linux in a VM, but Knoppix doesn't run in a VM very well.

My favorite is Arch Linux (not in a VM). Although you have to build and configure the system yourself from the ground up. Since I started using Linux I have really enjoyed it. It is much faster than Windows, more secure and gives me less problems than the Win PCs I deal with. Check out this site if you are interested in Linux.

To top on this excellent information. If you decided to try a Linux disto I would recommend a version of Ubuntu, doesn't really matter which one they are all really user friendly and depending on you pc setup depends on which version of it you can use. I have 11.05 installed on a 2nd partition for doing my Droid stuff on a computer that is around 9 years old, runs smooth. Windows xp is the other alternative which I have used several times NVflashing stuff, but adb seems to run better through Linux in my opinion.

theshafe

Feb 4, 2010
Ah, mind went blank there. Right now, all I have is a windows 7 laptop (my XP desktop and older Vista laptop are probably long gone) Ive attempted to flash before with the vista laptop to no avail. In both instances, I connect the tablet in APX and it was not even recognized as a connected device. I'm hesitant to run Linux, even from a flash drive. If I get the chance to soon, I may very well end up doing it, as it appears the ONLY option.. Thanks for your help guys. If you could think of anyway for Windows 7 to recognize my tablet, please let me know. You guys are a great help. Thanks again!

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
If you haven't already tried this maybe it will work for you.

- Put the tablet into APX mode, then plug in the USB. Windows7 will drag on then fail installing the drivers, as usual.

- Go to Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Device Manager and find the '!' (unknown device)

- Right click and choose Properties, then Uninstall Driver (if it is an option)

- Next, click on Update Driver, then choose Browse My Computer ...

- Navigate to the NVFlash folder (the one you extracted from the nvflash .zip you downloaded)

- Open the folder inside called 'usbpcdriver' or similar, and select the .inf file (NvidiaUsb.inf) and choose to install it. Once it installs, it should recognize the tablet as a MTP device. If not turn off the tablet, unplug the USB, restart Windows and plug it back in when it is finished rebooting and start the tablet in APX mode again. If it still doesn't recognize it try the whole process over agian.

I can understand being hesitant toward running Linux but running from a flash drive or in a VM is pretty safe, as in if you mess up the OS you can always start over without damaging Windows. Done it many times! Try running Ubuntu in a virtual machine such as Virtual Box, it is almost as user friendly as windows and you can have the VM capture USB devices such as the Gtablet which Ubuntu should recognize. Probably won't run very fast on a laptop but if you have at least a dual core with 2 GB of ram it should be pretty smooth.

Not trying to push Linux on you or anything, just some suggestions. From what I hear most of the Gtab devs use Windows7 and it seems to work great for them!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try this:

Using a root file manager (ES, Root Explorer, etc.) mount /system as read-write (rw) and move the downloaded files in each folder to their proper locations (copy the system/etc/recovery folder into /system/etc and the files in system/bin into /system/bin) and make sure all the permissions are correct. The recovery images should be -rw-r--r--, the scripts inside of /bin should be -rwxr-xr-x and flash_image should be -rw-r--r--.

Open a terminal emulator and type 'su' (without quotes) and allow SuperUser when it asks. Your shell prompt should go from a '$' to a '#'. Now type 'cwmrecovery.sh' (without quotes) and enter. That should install cwm-08 for you, just exit when it finishes and try to reboot into recovery. You can use the 'fixrecovery.sh' script to flash the stock 1.1 recovery if you ever need to.