Compatibility with Android Market apps

Search This thread

hwong96

Oct 3, 2011
Chicago
Thanks. As I mentioned in the OP, I am rooted. I was using ES File Explorer, but it only had read access (is there a way to change this?).

Unfortunately I do not have any other android device to download with, and I would want to be able to update the apps without constantly sideloading.

Thanks for the reply.
Open ES file explorer. Click on menu. Click settings. Scroll down to root settings. Enable root explorer and Mount file system. Change home directory to /. Hit back arrow. Click on the star. Then select HOME. You will see /system.

lehite

Dec 12, 2011
Again, I have no issue with paying for it. But if google's market doesn't allow me to get it, even though I know it will work on the NT (see Angry Birds, even though that is actually a free app), how am I supposed to get it? There are loads of apps that cost money I would like to get.

Google needs to have a box that you can check after the warning that comes up saying it isn't compatible, and you acknowledge it and want to buy it anyways.

This would be awesome. Like you, I have no qualm with paying for an app (as opposed to pirating, etc), but that option is non-existent with the compatibility fiasco.

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Just to confirm I downloaded a paid app on my Asus Eeepad and installed it on my rooted Nook tablet using Titanium backup pro, the app works just fine but it does NOT show up in market for updates and if you get to the app via a direct link it just says it is not compatible with my device.

So it looks like we're a bit stuffed at the moment :(

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
Open ES file explorer. Click on menu. Click settings. Scroll down to root settings. Enable root explorer and Mount file system. Change home directory to /. Hit back arrow. Click on the star. Then select HOME. You will see /system.

Did all that, but when I click on the magnifying glass it says "Cannot search in system directory".

hwong96

Oct 3, 2011
Chicago
Did all that, but when I click on the magnifying glass it says "Cannot search in system directory".
I get the same message. It is an oversight on EsStrongs part or they omitted the search function. They did say the root settings are experimental. You may want to provide feedback to EsStrongs to have them include the search function in their next release if you really need it.

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
I'm trying to download a free app called "skyweek" from the android market. If it says it's incompatible, is there a way to spoof build.prop to make a one time download? Or do i have to beg someone with a different platform to download for me?

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Has anyone discovered a working fingerprint yet? I'm getting fed up of restricted market making me have to find apk for everything :(

cetindk

Nov 27, 2011
Istanbul
Again, I have no issue with paying for it. But if google's market doesn't allow me to get it, even though I know it will work on the NT (see Angry Birds, even though that is actually a free app), how am I supposed to get it? There are loads of apps that cost money I would like to get.

Google needs to have a box that you can check after the warning that comes up saying it isn't compatible, and you acknowledge it and want to buy it anyways.

This is the greatest idea of all time dude! Seriously Google needs to make this, we must get this idea to their attention.

datdaigia

Apr 3, 2012
I recently rooted my NT by this method. It's working great and I love it, but the Android Market shows a lot of apps as incompatible (for example, Pocket Frogs, Facebook for Android, etc).

Does anyone know a way to bypass these restrictions. I think it may have something to do with pixel density requirements?

I've Same question and on my market can't see many apps ex: facebook, viber.... Im try using search on market but cant see. On free apps, limited 40apps and can't show more.

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium

Last edited:

swc2001

Dec 9, 2010
I ran into this problem with MANY different apps such as "Modern Combat 3" Bejeweled and many others. So what I did was Use Root Explorer and modify the build.prop

Where it said "Nook Tablet" I just Renamed it "XOOM" saved the file and then rebooted.

Viola All my apps worked perfectly and the Google Play store let me download them. I have had no trobles at all afterwards either. If theres a Caveat to to this I havent found it yet.

I am running CM7 Alpha Final.

I think that Developers of Apps did this on Purpose because Barnes & Noble shut them out from their exclusive B&N App store. So the Developers punished the Nook by not letting the Nook use them. Because Honestley they all run just fine.

Last edited:

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I ran into this problem with MANY different apps such as "Modern Combat 3" Bejeweled and many others. So what I did was Use Root Explorer and modify the build.prop

Where it said "Nook Tablet" I just Renamed it "XOOM" saved the file and then rebooted.

Viola All my apps worked perfectly and the Google Play store let me download them. I have had no trobles at all afterwards either. If theres a Caveat to to this I havent found it yet.

I think that Developers of Apps did this on Purpose because Barnes & Noble shut them out from their exclusive B&N App store. So the Developers punished the Nook by not letting the Nook use them. Because Honestley they all run just fine.

I was able to download Gameloft's files after doing this too
Just tried and the game closed after "checking licenses"

Last edited:

natkat

Feb 9, 2012
step by step?

I think this may be the answer to my question of not being able to download Google Play videos to my NT. I am a noobie, would you kindly give a step by step on how to find/modify the build.prop? Sorry for my ignorance, thank you for your help!
:p

morfius01

May 22, 2012
Sorry, i'm here for the first time and may write this in wrong tread, but...

I rooted my 8 gb Tablet. Everything works fine except one thing: when i installed apps from sd card with es file manager, they installed. But when i try to run app, there is an error "The application <name of app> has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." What may be wrong?

ckevinwelch

Feb 17, 2011
Sorry, i'm here for the first time and may write this in wrong tread, but...

I rooted my 8 gb Tablet. Everything works fine except one thing: when i installed apps from sd card with es file manager, they installed. But when i try to run app, there is an error "The application <name of app> has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." What may be wrong?

Are you saying you moved apps to the SD card? If so, the Stock B&N version of Android doesn't play well with that. You'll have to leave them internal or use a AOSP-based ROM.

If that's not what you're talking about, then what app are you referring to?

CuriousTux

Dec 1, 2010
Has anyone running CM9 0.04 changed the name or build for better compatibility and if you did what did you change.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes, as mentioned in various places in this thread. I have access to the android market on the device as well.
    You must grand the file explorer root permissions.
    For ES File Explorer: open, press options -> settings, scroll down to "Root settings" and check the box for "Root Explorer".
    Maybe you should also change your Home Directory to "/" for easier navigation
    Unfortunately I do not have any other android device to download with, and I would want to be able to update the apps without constantly sideloading.
    Keep in mind, I've found that once you sideload an app, it then becomes available for updates on the Market the same as any other.

It seems the compatibility check only happens initially. Once you sideload, it's as though the market sees an app as: "Well, it's running on your device, so here's the update..."

There's a caveat: it's still possible that running an update will break a previous version that runs on the NT. I think that happened for some with the Facebook app update.

So far, I've had the market update several otherwise incompatible apps that I sideloaded with no ill effects.
    Yes, as mentioned in various places in this thread. I have access to the android market on the device as well.

Sorry. Just skimmed over the post. Download Root Explorer from the market. Navigate to the system folder. You'll notice a R/O gray box at the top of the folder. Click it. It because R/W. You can now change files.

Also, Facebook can be found in the NT Apps thread under "must have apps." You can also find a lot of apps here in the Android Apps forum. Once you install it, the Android Market will offer updates for it.

I usually google any apps I can't find on the market. You'd be surprised how many apps people store in sites like megaupload.

Pocket Frogs