Color changes with stock kernel?

Search This thread

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
Wondering if any of the color apps (Faux/Franco) will work with a rooted ROM using stock kernel? Noticed that on the N4 that stock 4.4.4 is amazing (lost 4% in 12 hours!), compared to my N5 using elementalx at 28% over same period.
I just hate stock colors and hoped to still be able to change them?

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
yes, but you need a custom kernel that supports color change/gamma. with just stock, no. its code thats added to a kernel that gives you the feature, not rom related at all.

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought.
I might just try going back to pure stock to see if the N5 can come close to the deep sleep of the N4 running 4.4.4 stock. Then decide if deeper colors are worth average battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Thanks. That's kinda what I thought.
I might just try going back to pure stock to see if the N5 can come close to the deep sleep of the N4 running 4.4.4 stock. Then decide if deeper colors are worth average battery life.

why would colors affect battery life? unless you are talking about the kernel that you were using in general. anyways, battery life most is dependent on how you personally use your device, how you set it up, what apps you use, and very much your data/phone signal quality. the kernel will play just a little when it comes to battery, unless the kernel itself is just plain bad, with bad code. deep sleep could be kernel related, but it could be related to the services you are running as well. google play services has an issue lately with constantly checking for your location. this constant checking constantly wakes your device. maybe this is the issue with your non deep sleep? i know i had it, until i disabled certain services.

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
why would colors affect battery life? unless you are talking about the kernel that you were using in general. anyways, battery life most is dependent on how you personally use your device, how you set it up, what apps you use, and very much your data/phone signal quality. the kernel will play just a little when it comes to battery, unless the kernel itself is just plain bad, with bad code. deep sleep could be kernel related, but it could be related to the services you are running as well. google play services has an issue lately with constantly checking for your location. this constant checking constantly wakes your device. maybe this is the issue with your non deep sleep? i know i had it, until i disabled certain services.

Colors wouldn't change battery life, I was wondering if the stock kernel could use the color apps.
But to your point, it must be something in the ROM (KangaKat) or one of the apps I'm using rather than the kernel. I think it must be an app although I can't tech l track it down as it's just a bunch of system processes that are eating the juice and nothing pointing to an app in particular. Thanks though.