[Q] Restore stock kernal (MDK) and keep root?

Search This thread

ww15

Jan 7, 2014
I have an S4 on VZW (build MDK) that I rooted and installed CWM on. I believe I used the procedure here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798).

I want to restore the phone back to stock but still keep root and CWM. Can I just flash the stock VRUAMDK kernel with Odin? Will I lose root and/or the custom recovery? I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on whether or not I will lose root by just flashing the MDK kernal on an already rooted device.

If so, how do I proceed? Would I need to start over by flashing the VRUAMD2 prerelease kernel > root > flash VRUAMDK > then custom recovery?

Thanks.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I have an S4 on VZW (build MDK) that I rooted and installed CWM on. I believe I used the procedure here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798).

I want to restore the phone back to stock but still keep root and CWM. Can I just flash the stock VRUAMDK kernel with Odin? Will I lose root and/or the custom recovery? I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on whether or not I will lose root by just flashing the MDK kernal on an already rooted device.

If so, how do I proceed? Would I need to start over by flashing the VRUAMD2 prerelease kernel > root > flash VRUAMDK > then custom recovery?

Thanks.

Yes, you can flash the stock MDK. You'll lose root but can re-root using Loki (MD2 prerelease - > MDK).

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Thanks k1, but pardon my ignorance or misreading your response, but don't I use loki to get CWM back, and use the motochopper method to get root back?

Sorry, you're right. I've never had a MDK phone (mine started with ME7) so haven't ever actually used Loki or Motochopper.

ww15

Jan 7, 2014
so i ended up doing a factory reset then re-rooting...didnt lose the CWM recovery tho

thought id post my results in case it helps someone else out

Reactions: FordNate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so i ended up doing a factory reset then re-rooting...didnt lose the CWM recovery tho

thought id post my results in case it helps someone else out