Google Edition ROMs vs AOSP?

Search This thread

Cero92

Oct 31, 2008
Neive
www.francescocrema.it
Hello, on XDA there are lots of custom ROMs, some are based on HTC One GE system, some on AOSP. I though that it's the same, but i see kernels are not compatible so i'd like to ask what are the differences. Thanks

vv91xv

Dec 27, 2012
Hello, on XDA there are lots of custom ROMs, some are based on HTC One GE system, some on AOSP. I though that it's the same, but i see kernels are not compatible so i'd like to ask what are the differences. Thanks

This AOSP = Cyanogenmod. GEL = Include Beats audio, STOCK ROM FROM GOOGLE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Cero92

Cero92

Oct 31, 2008
Neive
www.francescocrema.it

I'm asking because I noticed a huge battery drain with CyanogenMod, that I don't have on Sense ROMs. It's probably caused by kernel, right? Any advice?

Thanks for the informations, so GE is a real Nexus-like system white AOSP pure Android, in fact that's different

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Thread title seems like an invitation to a religious war.

But I'll plunge in anyway.

Two things:

1)Battery drain can be due to so many things, I wouldn't assume kernel. More likely an app or a setting. Install a good battery stats app and learn how to interpret the results.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire ROM won't even help. Flash back to a Sense ROM and see if you still have bad battery life. If so it could be firmware/radios etc.

2)

Google, for better or for worse, controls every aspect of a Nexus or GPE ROM. They have vast resources. They have talent, discipline, and access to low level hardware drivers etc. These ROMs come loaded with the whole arsenal of Google apps and are intended to showcase an optimized Google "experience"

AOSP ROMs , even Cyanogen, are produced by amateurs that do not have the same resources. They do amazing work, but necessarily they are going to take much longer to get up to speed after major changes to Android. Also, Google apps are not even included, technically. And cyanogen in particular has created their own control panels, apps, over-the-air update schemesand other proprietary systems that have nothing to do with Google.

If you are looking for purity, the question is "pure what"? Pure Google? Go with GPE.

Pure Freedom from Google? A pure, non-corporate, best-effort attempt at compiling a functioning ROM using the AOSP programming environment? Go with CM.

Google controls AOSP, admittedly, but they have no control over what projects others produce using it.

Your call.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Cero92

Cero92

Oct 31, 2008
Neive
www.francescocrema.it

Two things:

1)Battery drain can be due to so many things, I wouldn't assume kernel. More likely an app or a setting. Install a good battery stats app and learn how to interpret the results.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire ROM won't even help. Flash back to a Sense ROM and see if you still have bad battery life. If so it could be firmware/radios etc.

2)

Google, for better or for worse, controls every aspect of a Nexus or GPE ROM. They have vast resources. They have talent, discipline, and access to low level hardware drivers etc. These ROMs come loaded with the whole arsenal of Google apps and are intended to showcase an optimized Google "experience"

AOSP ROMs , even Cyanogen, are produced by amateurs that do not have the same resources. They do amazing work, but necessarily they are going to take much longer to get up to speed after major changes to Android. Also, Google apps are not even included, technically. And cyanogen in particular has created their own control panels, apps, over-the-air update schemesand other proprietary systems that have nothing to do with Google.

If you are looking for purity, the question is "pure what"? Pure Google? Go with GPE.

Pure Freedom from Google? A pure, non-corporate, best-effort attempt at compiling a functioning ROM using the AOSP programming environment? Go with CM.

Google controls AOSP, admittedly, but they have no control over what projects others produce using it.

Your call.

It's not, maybe I chose the wrong words :\

However, thanks a lot for the clarification!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Two things:

2)

Your call.