Free Mobile Hotspot

Search This thread

psilocybins

Apr 5, 2014
I just bought the HTC One M8 from Verizon and I would like to get a free mobile hotspot working. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Can I avoid rooting the phone? If not I am willing to root it. Thanks guys.

skaforey

Nov 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
I just bought the HTC One M8 from Verizon and I would like to get a free mobile hotspot working. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Can I avoid rooting the phone? If not I am willing to root it. Thanks guys.

As far as I know, since /system is not writable, the only way to hotspot is to s-off (which requires temp root) and modify the necessary system files (or just flash a rom).

Napoleones

May 3, 2014
If you are still grandfathered into the Unlimited data plan on Verizon then you have probably been on the hunt for a way to get free wifi tethering up and running on your new M8! For this to work you will need to be mostly stock with little to no deviation from the stock tether apk. You will need to be S-Off and you will need to have a custom recovery installed. Then you can simply install the zip in recovery. Once the file is flashed you will be ready to go.

Must be S-Off http://firewater-soff.com/
Flash with CWM CWM VZW M8

dm5530

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Nevermind. Apparently verizon offers free mobile hotspot with every data plan. Thanks anyway!

Pretty sure that's not true. See What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ), CNET article from 2012.

Per the agreement with the FCC, Vzw is not supposed to block our use of tethering apps if we are not on unlimited plans. They do NOT have to make their app free to us to use. Those that are on unlimited (i.e., grandfathered) plans are in a different group and can pay Vzw to add tethering to their plan.

Now what can be done if you're rooted is a different discussion... ;)

psilocybins

Apr 5, 2014
Pretty sure that's not true. See What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ), CNET article from 2012.

Per the agreement with the FCC, Vzw is not supposed to block our use of tethering apps if we are not on unlimited plans. They do NOT have to make their app free to us to use. Those that are on unlimited (i.e., grandfathered) plans are in a different group and can pay Vzw to add tethering to their plan.

Now what can be done if you're rooted is a different discussion... ;)

That article is 2 years old. Use your head.

Type this into google: verizon mobile hotspot fee

read the paragraph that comes up.

sorcerer86

Dec 13, 2010

What's that got to do w the price of oranges???
Unlimited data plans have to pay for hotspots from Verizon. New tiered data plans come with free hotspot.

If you just temp root with weaksauce u can get wifi tether router from playstore and its working for free tether without having to s-off.

Last edited:

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Houston
I think I deleted the native tethering app when I decided to free my phone from all Verizon apps.

So, what works?

Sent from your mom's smartphone

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a

I am a grandfathered unlimited data user. Yes Verizon charges us $30/mo for 2GB of tethering.... Unless you root and use a hacked native hotspot, root app from play store or an aosp ROM. Going to upgrade to the m8 as soon as my wife's upgrade happens (loophole to keep unlimited).

Sent from my Rezound

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
[QRCODE]Dunno if it's possible, but FoxFi works on many devices, and you can buy the full version for ~$8 and never get throttled by the app while in use. [/QRCODE]