Should I upgrade to Dash 3G?

Search This thread

audiofx

Sep 26, 2008
I've had my Dash 1 for about a year now and happy with it. I upgraded it to the 6.1 rom.

I'm not sure if I should upgrade to the new Dash 3G. I use my phone mostly for IRC, texting, and corp email. I try to web browse with IE/Skyfire but most of the time, the phone will run out of memory due to the heavy email client that I need to use (Good Messaging).

I do not see any thing that the Dash 3G will offer me that I don't already have. Stable web browsing would be nice though. GPS a plus since I tend to rely on Google Maps.

Is the Dash 3G the must have upgrade for us Dash 1 users? Since I bought my Dash 1 at full price, I still qualify for the 2 year contract for $169 at T-Mobile (I hate contracts!).

I was considering posting this in the Maple forum, but it would probably get more views here.

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
D3G has alot more RAM and a higher clock speed, plus the keyboard looks easier to type on. If your happy with your Dash you can just hang on to it until the price goes down on the D3G in a few months. With higher end phones being offered on AT&T for cheaper w/contract, I can see them lowering the price sooner than expected.

From what Ive seen it definantly is an upgrade for Dash users, and cooked ROMs are already in the works. I cant wait to get my hands on one, especially since im in a T-mo 3g area.

josh909

Jun 20, 2009
I am a currently on T-Mobile and was just about to switch to AT&T, mainly because I couldn't use 3g with my Tilt. I really wanted 3g speeds since you can do 'internet sharing' in windows mobile, then tether it to my laptop via bluetooth. This would open a whole new world for me...I've only had my tilt a few months now...and I'm itching bad for 3g.

I'm not sure on t-mobile's stance on tethering, although when I was on the phone with one of their escalation techs for 'non t-mobile phones' in the past, they were pretty cool with giving me info on tethering, and even refering me to xda-developers. I'm sure their default Dash 3g will probably be missing the applications for that option though.

I'm still trying to decide if I should get the new MyTouch vs. Dash 3g...I've read about google blocking an app that allowed Andriod tethering, does anyone know if its still available/possible?

cswroe

Jun 11, 2007
Northwest Indiana
www.wbkl.com
I have had my 3G for about a week. It is a great phone. I miss my Excalibur, it has been the best phone I have ever owned and the support and ROM's here are absolutely awesome.

• Do you have 3G service where you live, work, and/or travel often?
  • Are you running applications that exceed current memory?
  • Are there applications that you do not run because of speed and/or memory limitations?

I will say that I absolutely hated to shelf the Excalibur but I do enjoy the speed of the device and the data network. Tethering is the same as the previous model. The battery life is great, and the trackball took getting used to but has become indespensable. The first couple days I really debated keeping it, but am glad I did....at least for now.

jdshifflett

Apr 8, 2009
salem, oregon
i think if you're in a 3g area and can hold back on getting better cooked roms and want to deal with a blackberry wannabe retard trackball then you should go for it. i ordered one just off the principle that the silver piece on my dash started peeling off and i needed something that wasnt fallling apart but.. i love the dash. although the buttons on the 3g are amazing. no joggr though... :( who says you can't swap your sim every once in a while. i hear you have to get a different data plan for the 3g service though.. not sure yet but i'm sure someone does

takeastand

Oct 31, 2007
I'm looking on Ebay at the Dash 3G and I'm not seeing any that's unlocked. Does anyone know if anyone has unlocked a Dash 3G yet? I need to use in on AT&T.

audiofx

Sep 26, 2008
I really can't see any benefits to going to the Dash 3g.

- No 3G service in my area
- Same screen, same resolution as Dash 1

GPS would be nice, but I'm planning on getting the next iPod Touch which is rumored to have it. Can't use iPhone because I need corp email.

The Dash 3G would give me better web browsing and probably longer battery life. For $169 with no contract I would probably pick one up. I hate signing the 2 year contract in case I want to switch phones. The Dash 3G might really show it's age in 2 years.

But I am a fan of the Dash. I cannot stand stylus/touch screen on the other Windows Mobile phones.

AKMark

Jan 19, 2009
Portland, Oregon
3G Tether

My friendly T-Mobile rep told me that T-Mo will not support tethering any 3G phone because they don't want to sacrifice the bandwidth.

My solution (until last week) was to use my G1 and swap my sim to my Tilt when I needed to tether. That stopped last week when my G1 suddenly started to refuse any data connection with a notice that I needed to change to a G1 compatible data plan.

More discussion with the T-Mo folks has gotten them to offer to replace my G1 with any other phone, and I think I may go to the D3G and then keep my Tilt charged for tethering until there is a D3G rom that will support it.

Thoughts?

cswroe

Jun 11, 2007
Northwest Indiana
www.wbkl.com
My friendly T-Mobile rep told me that T-Mo will not support tethering any 3G phone because they don't want to sacrifice the bandwidth.

My solution (until last week) was to use my G1 and swap my sim to my Tilt when I needed to tether. That stopped last week when my G1 suddenly started to refuse any data connection with a notice that I needed to change to a G1 compatible data plan.

More discussion with the T-Mo folks has gotten them to offer to replace my G1 with any other phone, and I think I may go to the D3G and then keep my Tilt charged for tethering until there is a D3G rom that will support it.

Thoughts?

I tether my 3g dash often (like now) without issue. They may be trying to stop those that are not paying for the 3g plan from utilizing a 3g phone/data by putting the sim in a 3g device. Just a guess, but I have not had an issue.

Greg530

May 2, 2007
I had the Snap for a day. Then returned it. Mainly because the Menu keys were bad quality (getting stuck, etc... see my detailed thread in the Maple forum).
Other issue was the keyboard layout. Yes, the keys are huge but they are too crammed and you can't feel the gaps between them and it's harder to touch type. I also prefer the grid alignment of the Excalibur.
Trackball was useful although web browsing still seemed sluggish.

Battery life seemed nice (limited experience), GPS is definitely welcome.
Overall, I expected to be blown away by the speed improvement (faster CPU) but wasn't. Yes, it's better but not THAT much.

Had a brief love affair with a sweet Samsung C6625 but left it on the shelf (because I love this forum!).

I will probably upgrade some day, but this keyboard bug has to be fixed first (I'm not the only one)

Greg

audiofx

Sep 26, 2008
I went to the T-Mobile store and played with one. It was definately nice but not game-changing. Like I said, I already have Win 6.1 on the Excalibur.

I would grab it for $169 straight up without the contract. But not with a 2 year contract.

digital81

Jul 15, 2009
Syracuse, NY
www.sthost.com
I upgraded from the old Dash to the new Dash 3G. I can say that I am not disappointed at all.

Bigger keyboard, longer battery life, faster cpu, definitely worth it.

I use my phone to keep in touch with my customers via email as I am always on the go(this is where the bigger keys help). I listen to Sirius with the SiriusWM5 app all day(benefit of the bigger battery). Also, doing both on my old Dash seemed to be laggy, switching between email and my media player, causing audio to skip, or having to wait a few seconds just to see who sent me an email. New model I can do this with no lag, skips, or delays(this is where the faster processor in the new 3G has helped out).

chemao

Oct 17, 2008
Boston, MA
HTC DASH 3G hardware review

I HOPE THIS REVIEW IS HELPFUL TO PEOPLE. I TRIED TO BE AS OBJECTIVE AND THOROUGH AS POSSIBLE. -Justin Chandler

Before agreeing to a contract and upping to the Dash 3G, I decided to buy one outright to test its functionality. I would be "upgrading" from the old dash (been using it since 06 and crappy WM5) with the XDA-Developers.com WM6.1 ROM.

Hardware review:
The new dash's design is attractive, both visually and functionally. It is all black with a very sleek and professional look. It definitely looks nicer than the old one visually. The buttons take a little time to get used to because they do seem flatter, but the larger size of them helps a lot. People with larger fingers will appreciate this, I'm sure. Also, they are very well lit and much easier to see in the dark than the old Dash1's buttons.

Though it may not actually be flatter than Dash1, it feels flatter for some reason and gives the perception of being more technologically advanced when you hold it. The rubber back on the Dash in general was well-received by many including myself, although the new rubber on the Dash3G seems a little too smooth and has a tendency to slip around in your hand more than Dash1, especially when doing single-handed typing.

The new dash [probably related to the added height], it seems a little off balance in my hands. I'm 5'8" so those with larger hands may not experience this as much.

I liked the old rubber backing because I could put the phone in a little dash box below the radio in my car and it would grip happily and never move. The new one slips and slides around like a dog on a newly-waxed floor.

What can you say about the screen? It's the same screen as the old dash in most ways, though it does seem brighter with richer colors. Again there's not much to say, but it is nicer for sure.

The control area of the dash, has been changed a lot, with different button positioning and the inclusion of a trackball. I admit I have hit the home and back keys on accident many times, trying to make selections, though you could train your hands out of that I'm sure. Many of you are likely pleased to see a trackball included, though don't be to quick here. It is nice having a mouse pointer in web pages, though no amount of tweaking with the settings was able to overcome the fact that it scrolls too many pixels at a time, often making it difficult to select a link [while browsing]. The solution is to scroll up or down the web page a little then go back down to the link so you can click on it. Also, diagonal scrolling just isn't really there. You will get the impression that the trackball only operates in 4 directions with any reliability. Perhaps someone will come up with a tweaking utility that can help overcome this. Clicking with the trackball is also a bit of a task, as the pressure spring below it is a bit too stiff so without fingernails, you may find yourself scrolling off of the point you want to click on before the click actually happens. The power button has been relocated to coincide with the red hangup key now, which is mildly convenient in some ways, but I always used the old power button [on Dash1] for a single press to bring up the menu allowing you to hit various settings, or change the profile in a pinch. I miss this menu but may find it hidden somewhere, as I've only been using the new Dash for about a week. (I HAVE looked, but can't find it, yet).

In addition to the camera and messaging buttons on the bottom right, they have a shortcut key. The email button is nice, but the sliding panel interface already made it very easy to get to messaging for me, so I never used it. The shortcut key is also very nice, though the selection list for what you can assign to it was left lacking. They should allow you to link it to any program, instead of the static list.

The updated camera is much improved. It takes reasonably high resolution photos and video, despite some phones offering even higher resolution than 2.0 megapixels. Those taking high resolution for the purpose of printing out will be using their REAL cameras, anyway. I'm definitely disappointed that they didn't add a flash to the camera, but that's likely due to a lack of real estate, because this phone is in general pretty compact and thin. Adjusting the brightness setting didn't seem to help much, either. Bring your real camera when you have a function, or you'll be disappointed with the images -- but for those impromptu snaps, it gets the job done - and well.

I found that The processor is faster, and helps things along quite a bit. I used OMAP clock at 240MHz on my old dash, and this one easily surpasses it in typical operational speed. Also, when viewing video clips, they are much smoother and skip less, though it still doesn't play streamed video clips nearly as smoothly as the much older iPhone. Expect mildly choppy video streams from Youtube or the like. I did allow full download before playing, so it was not related to connection speed. Opening PDF images and Office documents is definitely much improved and it takes less time to open and scroll through them. I'd say a win here for speed - but they still need to either optimize media content abilities or beef up the processor even more. I have to say I was definitely disappointed, as I was really looking forward to watching smoother streaming content online.

The sound quality is definitely improved, especially when using speaker phone. I still think it's weird that there is a downward-firing speaker but that's just a quirky thing I suppose. Volume was not only more clear, but louder as well. I had to turn my old Dash1 to the highest to hear clearly, and on the Dash3G I set it at about 80% volume level in most cases. They made larger openings in the case for the speakers which may be cosmetic but I believe they are also functional.

The battery cover is a single snap-on unit now, instead of the old slide-off design. While it does give a nice impression of being more refined, those that regularly swap batteries/memory cards or have to remove/replace due to Windows Mobile lock-ups will get annoyed and it will surely wear out much faster because it uses little tabs to snap into place.

GPS functionality is added to the new Dash3G! Awesome, I've been longing for this for quite some time, often jealous of my friends' iPhones and G1s that included this ability. I have a portable GPS, but I don't always drive my own car, especially in Boston, where the commuter bus and train are so convenient. Kudos to HTC for adding this ability to our beloved Dash!

Volume control also gets a thumbs up, as they have gotten rid of that crappy touch-sensitive "jogger" strip from the old phone and replaced it with buttons on the left side. First, moving it to the left side was a good idea because for the majority of people, it places the buttons conveniently for right-handed use of the fingertips. Second, those random changes of your volume while in a call with a single touch of your ear lobe is eliminated.

I am a bit upset, and you may be, too. The new DASH 3G does NOT include a belt clip. Instead, you get a simple leather pouch that is more appropriate for women with purses. This is a business phone, and the huge majority of users are undoubtedly going to be professional men, due to it's more masculine design and also it's business-oriented functionality.

Overall, I'd say it's a win in the hardware category for the new Dash 3G.

(to be continued below)

Last edited:

chemao

Oct 17, 2008
Boston, MA
HTC DASH 3G software review

(continued from above)

Software review:
HORRIBLE! As stated, on the old Dash1, I have been using the XDA-Developers ROM image for quite some time, and LOVE all the features and functionality available. There are a lot of gripes [and a few good things] with the T-Mobile ROM but overall it's a FAIL!

NO IMAGE EDITING! (WTF!?) That's right! You can't crop, resize, or rotate your images any more, a function that has been available since 2006 and WM5!! A 2nd level T-Mobile support rep was even baffled on this one, as we spent more than 30 minutes poking and prodding around to find where it could be done. I used to have a nice cropped image of my sexy girlfriend on the home screen. Now I just have her face. That means that 1. You can't edit a photo before sending to someone and 2. Taking a picture and then applying as your wallpaper requires a PC with Activesync so you can a) copy the image to the PC, b) edit it to 320x240 size, etc c) copy back to phone, and then d) set your wallpaper. RIDICULOUS!

NO MORE ICS (Internet Connection Sharing/tethering to PC) They have chosen not to include the ability to tether your phone to a PC, so you can't take advantage of the 3G data rate and browse on your laptop, with datacable, bluetooth or whatever. This is a big deal for me, as I am often on the road and make regular use of ICS to get things done on my laptop.

Telenav requires a monthly fee of $10 just to use GPS, hell no! This is a big disappointment. Call me cheap, but I don't feel I should have to pay monthly just to use GPS navigation, especially considering the GPS service is free (don't count your taxes). It's just a program that interprets the maps and calculates a route. Charging a small fee to register the program is reasonable, but a monthly recurring charge? That's preposterous. They did have the decency to include Google Maps, however, which redeems this issue thankfully. It works pretty well and despite my pissy attitude towards the Telenav nonsense, I'm happy to say that you can now use GPS on your dash!

They now group text and multimedia messaging together. This can be a blessing and a curse. It's nice because you don't have to manage multiple locations when cleaning up your sent/inbox/deleted items. It's troublesome because if you want to clean out your regular text messages guess what? You will end up deleting all the media messages at the same time, which at least in my case, I keep the media messages and just clean out my text messages regularly.

No inclusion of an Internet-based backup. I thought it was awesome that Verizon included the ability to backup and restore your contact list to the Internet, and also view that list through your online account. T-Mobile still doesn't include this ability, which is pretty sad in my opinion. You can use Microsoft's free MyPhone application to do this, but only if you're not connected to an Exchange server. I am using MyPhone, but can't backup my contact list online because I'm connected to an Exchange server. They should allow you to at least backup your SIM contacts, because many [including myself] use the phone for business and personal.

T-Mobile added an application that allows you to manage your account straight from the start menu. I found this be be very cool, and many will definitely enjoy it's usefulness, especially those that aren't on an unlimited plan and have to keep an eye on their usage and charges.

The problems with the T-Mobile release of WM6.1 are sufficient that I will be returning the Dash3G and sticking with my old one. The lack of [and simply removed] functionality is definitely not worth the extra speed. I really need the extra speed boost, especially for the many attachments I get as an IT Manager, but I can't get over all the shortcomings. I will keep the phone until this coming weekend, which will be just inside of my 14 day painless return period (you can return within 30 days, but they make you jump through legal hoops and become an ass hole to do it).

Finally, I would like to add that it is my firm wishes that XDA-Developers can come up with a Dash3G version of the wonderful Dash1 ROM image they made famous, and with which made undoubtedly thousands completely addicted to the Dash (not to mention saving them tons of money because of all the great features and applications included). PLEASE, if it's not trouble to convert the old ROM to be used with the new hardware DO IT! You'll have my complete gratitude.

I hope this is useful to some. Thanks from Justin Chandler.

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
NO IMAGE EDITING! (WTF!?) That's right! You can't crop, resize, or rotate your images any more, a function that has been available since 2006 and WM5!! A 2nd level T-Mobile support rep was even baffled on this one, as we spent more than 30 minutes poking and prodding around to find where it could be done. I used to have a nice cropped image of my sexy girlfriend on the home screen. Now I just have her face. That means that 1. You can't edit a photo before sending to someone and 2. Taking a picture and then applying as your wallpaper requires a PC with Activesync so you can a) copy the image to the PC, b) edit it to 320x240 size, etc c) copy back to phone, and then d) set your wallpaper. RIDICULOUS!

Actually, you CAN edit on the Dash 3G--but it's really not obvious and I don't recall seeing this in the manual. Use the Sliding Panels Media home screen layout, then go to the My Pictures panel and press the trackball. You get the old Pictures and Videos app, which allows editing!

jdshifflett

Apr 8, 2009
salem, oregon
I think there is already a D3g ROM out here on xda in the maple forum.

Ookba has released a HTC Maple rom, and it's stable working almost as well as his current dash rom. but other than that there isn't too too much stuff over on the forums yet. Ive been meaning to go check things out but once I got my dash 3g its sat in the fricking box waiting till the time is right..