Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Few n00bish questions...some are somewhat general:

1. Is there a special GAPPS for this since it's 4.2.2?
2. If one chooses NOT to flash a gapps is there a way to just install the Play Store (that's all I really need)
3. Will everything be FUBAR on the SD card if it's not formatted to FAT32? (I would love to leave it the standard TW format if possible.)
4. Anything special have to be done if I want to restore a nandroid of my stock rooted LJC?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my noob questions.

cuezaireekaa

Apr 26, 2010
glacier bay
www.last.fm
have had my note for two days now, and stood on stock. while i was warming up to the new TW nicely and all those cool s-pen features and all, i had to flash something.. so this is my first flash.
wow. just wow. thanks for some 4.2.2 with all these crazy ass options! ive not seen a few of them yet coming from e4gt.
anyone know if mhl will work with this, or is it like the epic touch, where a lot of aosp roms didnt have mhl workng correctly?

Reactions: MiguelHogue

VeNuMuS

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles
Re: [ROM][AOSP][LINARO] CarbonRom 1.1 JB 4.2.2 [l900] » Feb 15

Few n00bish questions...some are somewhat general:

1. Is there a special GAPPS for this since it's 4.2.2?
2. If one chooses NOT to flash a gapps is there a way to just install the Play Store (that's all I really need)
3. Will everything be FUBAR on the SD card if it's not formatted to FAT32? (I would love to leave it the standard TW format if possible.)
4. Anything special have to be done if I want to restore a nandroid of my stock rooted LJC?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my noob questions.

1.No special gapps required.
2. The gapps also includes vital system files required to run Google apps such as the playstore.
3. Has to be fat 32.
4. If you want to restore back to LJC you need the restore back SD after downgrade zip located on the second post of the CM10.1 Thread.
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

have had my note for two days now, and stood on stock. while i was warming up to the new TW nicely and all those cool s-pen features and all, i had to flash something.. so this is my first flash.
wow. just wow. thanks for some 4.2.2 with all these crazy ass options! ive not seen a few of them yet coming from e4gt.
anyone know if mhl will work with this, or is it like the epic touch, where a lot of aosp roms didnt have mhl workng correctly?

According to cm 10 devs mhl may never work for us :(

cuezaireekaa

Apr 26, 2010
glacier bay
www.last.fm
1.No special gapps required.
2. The gapps also includes vital system files required to run Google apps such as the playstore.
3. Has to be fat 32.
4. If you want to restore back to LJC you need the restore back SD after downgrade zip located on the second post of the CM10.1 Thread.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

According to cm 10 devs mhl may never work for us :(

out of thanks right now so ill get you on tapa..
cool to see you in here avatar! thanks for the heads up! i didnt format my sd to fat32 bc im sure it was, and this rom booted and runs fine so i guess it is. but i didnt know about flashing that downgrade zip if i want stock back. thanks a lot for telling us. i see there is still a bit i need to research. im still a little confused about the flashing of firmware and modems also when flashing the other roms like LK8, etc. ill get it figured out. trying not to rush into anything. this phone seems harder to brick than our last also. :good:

glad there is some good company on this phone and MAD Development.

Reactions: VeNuMuS

VeNuMuS

Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles

cool to see you in here avatar! thanks for the heads up! i didnt format my sd to fat32 bc im sure it was, and this rom booted and runs fine so i guess it is. but i didnt know about flashing that downgrade zip if i want stock back. thanks a lot for telling us. i see there is still a bit i need to research. im still a little confused about the flashing of firmware and modems also when flashing the other roms like LK8, etc. ill get it figured out. trying not to rush into anything. this phone seems harder to brick than our last also. :good:

Waaaay too many roms to flash. But yeah no brick bug on this badboy.

Reactions: cuezaireekaa

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

So you didn't format the sd card and the room still ran properly? You were able to access the content on the sd card?

Are we able to Mount the internal/external sd cards to a PC?

cuezaireekaa

Apr 26, 2010
glacier bay
www.last.fm
So you didn't format the sd card and the room still ran properly? You were able to access the content on the sd card?

Are we able to Mount the internal/external sd cards to a PC?

ok, i spoke too soon. this is what i did..
i flashed this rom directly from stock. didnt restore all my apps or anything, just tested out the rom a bit. made a nand of this. then wiped and flashed a TW modded ROM. flashed the fix avatar mentioned after flashing that rom and it wouldnt boot. i tried twice, so i wanted to come back to this rom and set it up.
well.. when i booted into this rom, i used solid explorer and it seems that there is an emulated/ legacy folder under storage. im not seeing anything i used to have from my internal but there are new folders that this rom made. but its still 3/4 full. my stuff is somewhere.
im wondering if flashing that restore zip made it like this of if i just need to format the sd.
a question for avatar or anyone else that may know is, did i need to flash something else when coming back to this rom, or do i just have to format the internal sd everytime i switch from tw to aosp? and is it internal or external that we format? or both?

to the poster above me, i was able to see both storages on the pc but when i opened up the internal, it only had a couple folders that i assume this rom made. my other internal stuff is missing. so idk. :confused:

Reactions: SantinoInc

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

i flashed this rom directly from stock. didnt restore all my apps or anything, just tested out the rom a bit. made a nand of this. then wiped and flashed a TW modded ROM. flashed the fix avatar mentioned after flashing that rom and it wouldnt boot. i tried twice, so i wanted to come back to this rom and set it up.
well.. when i booted into this rom, i used solid explorer and it seems that there is an emulated/ legacy folder under storage. im not seeing anything i used to have from my internal but there are new folders that this rom made. but its still 3/4 full. my stuff is somewhere.
im wondering if flashing that restore zip made it like this of if i just need to format the sd.
a question for avatar or anyone else that may know is, did i need to flash something else when coming back to this rom, or do i just have to format the internal sd everytime i switch from tw to aosp? and is it internal or external that we format? or both?

to the poster above me, i was able to see both storages on the pc but when i opened up the internal, it only had a couple folders that i assume this rom made. my other internal stuff is missing. so idk. :confused:

Sounds like a major headache. . I think I will pass on AOSP for a while. Thanks for the info

Reactions: Agent Soap

VeNuMuS

Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles

You needed to wipe the AOSP rom completely by wiping system. Then restore a nandroid of the previous rom you where on then apply the restore SD zip. I do this everytime and it works .

cuezaireekaa

Apr 26, 2010
glacier bay
www.last.fm
Sounds like a major headache. . I think I will pass on AOSP for a while. Thanks for the info

im not gonna let it scare me. a headache? sure. but i dont give up easily. i understand that you may not be a power user and i understand that maybe you dont want to mess and mess and mess with things complicated, but i love getting my hands dirty.but this is the best way to learn. this rom was totaly worth it and i only messed with it for an hour. ill figure this out for us :)

right meow i just need to figure out how to access all my internal storage stuff after flashing this, of if ill just have to back it all up on my pc and then put it back into the new (partition?) after flashing this. that is a way but seems like a hassle every time. idk yet. :fingers-crossed:

simple man

Dec 25, 2010
Missouri

This ROM is running so good, everything works well and fast. No complaints/problems here. I do look forward to the in call bluetooth audio sounding better on AOSP ROMs for our device.
Thanks to all involved. :D

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
im not gonna let it scare me. a headache? sure. but i dont give up easily. i understand that you may not be a power user and i understand that maybe you dont want to mess and mess and mess with things complicated, but i love getting my hands dirty.but this is the best way to learn. this rom was totaly worth it and i only messed with it for an hour. ill figure this out for us :)

right meow i just need to figure out how to access all my internal storage stuff after flashing this, of if ill just have to back it all up on my pc and then put it back into the new (partition?) after flashing this. that is a way but seems like a hassle every time. idk yet. :fingers-crossed:

It's really not that I don't want to get my hands dirty (I don't particulary :laugh:) but it depends what the end result will be. Right now I'm on stock odexed LJC and it's set up perfectly and everything is working. Problem is I have this super strong need to flash something and this ROM looks like the best of the AOSP lot. I'm going to take the plunge. At least Avatar gave some insight on how to properly revert back to a nandroid of a TW rom so if I decide I don't like this rom for any reason I can just flash back to what I'm on.

Wish me luck!

Bawls

Dec 23, 2009
Up-to-date and runnin' fantastic!

Also: Settings > Language & Input > "Show icon when using stylus" THE CIRCLE IS BACK :victory:

btbamzao

Apr 12, 2011
Houston, TX

Rom has been truly flawless thus far. Thanks!

bjrmd

Feb 13, 2006
Great job
But is anyone else having no response to headset button clicking
Thanks

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Still having a pretty major memory leak. After rubbing for a day if I clear everything out of memory I will only have 200mb or so free

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features
    Simply stated, we can't really list features here. There are too many and they change too frequently, and we now support a truly insane number of devices. Chances are, if you like a feature, we have it already. Seriously.

Screenshots

screen1s.jpg
    screen2s.jpg
    screen3s.jpg

screen4s.jpg
    screen5s.jpg
    screen6s.jpg

screen7s.jpg
    screen8s.jpg
    screen9s.jpg

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our goo.im page.

Both nightly and release builds are available. Please note that nightlies are for development purposes. This means that they may not work properly, may not flash, may not build for days at a time, and will probably eat your cat. If you flash these, know what you're doing, have backups, and don't complain when something happens. It's on you!

http://carbon-rom.com

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Change Log

You can also find a changelog in Settings->Carbon->About Carbon

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our goo.im page linked above. It's new, but expanding fast. Just like us!

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Join our G+ Community: http://community.carbon-rom.com This is where we spend the bulk of our time and the best way to reach us and other community members. We update and frequent this community far more than XDA, simply due to time constraints and the convenience of G+.

5) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Andros11

BigShotRob

Bionic Beast

dg4prez

Kejar31

mattmanwrx

morfic

nocoast

pixeldotz

slick_rick

winner00

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

There is a reason why GPS and MMS work for some and not others. There has to be a concrete reason. I personally wish that instead of churning out nightly after nightly the devs investigate why so many people are having these two issues.

Oh wait, I forgot, the majority of users don't have these issues.

Anyway, Rooster I'm curious as to how your MMS started working out of the blue. Try to figure out what it is you did that triggered MMS to work. There has to be an actual reason... it wasn't magic.
    Honestly, I'm kinda get tired of you complaining in every single AOSP ROM thread about GPS/MMS not working when it does work fine for the vast majority of users. Yes I understand why you're upset/frustrated but remember XDA is a site for developers first. They are not here to cater everyone and every single user complaint. It also does not help your cause that I have not seen a single logcat from you. Either help solve the issue or stop complaining. Sorry, not sorry. Just my 2 cents.

Adding l900 to jb3 manifest tonight. You guys should have a 4.3 build tomorrow.

Updated 4.2.2 builds posted just now. We had some linaro build issues yesterday and some stuff got built with the google compiler. Today's build is full linaro and contains the new Carbon kernel by morfic and kejar.
    4.4 test build http://d-h.st/pOK Use your 4.4 gapps of choice. Same device specific bugs in sbrissens CM11 or my own PA 4.4 builds are present here also. On initial flash, setup wizard will try and activate your mobile data. Ignore and skip through, your data is actually fine. Enjoy! A new thread will come soon enough :)