Photos remain in Camera folder after factory reset

Search This thread

attila123456

Mar 25, 2011
I performed a factory reset from the settings menu on my N4, all seemed fine, after reboot the phone was like new, asking for google account etc. Then, after signing in (not with the same account I had there before), the gallery app shows all of my old photos in the Camera folder. Shouldn't factory reset wipe all user data? Phone is rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

bladebuddy

Dec 31, 2011
Not if you're pictures are stored on you're sd card as that isn't touched on a factory reset.

Phone : Nexus 4 /Rom : cataclysm / Kernel : Stock.

ksavai

Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
I performed a factory reset from the settings menu on my N4, all seemed fine, after reboot the phone was like new, asking for google account etc. Then, after signing in (not with the same account I had there before), the gallery app shows all of my old photos in the Camera folder. Shouldn't factory reset wipe all user data? Phone is rooted.

in recovery, there is option to wipe/format SD card

attila123456

Mar 25, 2011
If all personal data stays on the phone, that defeats the purpose of a factory reset, or am I missing something? I'm aware of the wipe options in recovery but no average (non-tech) user would ever use that... Especially when there's a factory reset option in Settings.

bladebuddy

Dec 31, 2011
If you're factory resetting it wouldn't touch young sd card and your pictures will be in your DCIM or picture folder on you're virtual sd card that's the only place they can be after a factory reset. Unless you've stored them in cloud storage which means there still there or made a new folder.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Download a file manager and navigate to the above mentioned folders and delete them if you don't want them.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

All a factory reset does is remove all SYSTEM data like apps and accounts e.t.c doesn't touch you're personal data you have saved over time as that's stored separately on the phones internal sd card the exact same as a removable ad card with the difference being you cannot remove it. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Hang on are these photos only showing after you have signed into Google +.

Neet

Jun 2, 2009

Do you by any chance have enabled auto backup in google+?
And then the pics show after you have signed into your Google account and initiated the sync?

attila123456

Mar 25, 2011
After reset the phone was started with a different (new) google account, so it's not a sync thing.
Based on replies in this thread, factory reset doesn't wipe personal data from the internal storage.

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
After reset the phone was started with a different (new) google account, so it's not a sync thing.
Based on replies in this thread, factory reset doesn't wipe personal data from the internal storage.

Just a correction. You are using stock recovery or custom? If it's the latter, then that's it. Custom recovery like cwm/twrp won't wipe your sdcard (a.k.a your internal sd card). But if you are using stock recovery, factory reset will wipe all of it including your sdcard partition. So if you are using stock recovery and still the data is there..well that's weird. ;)

attila123456

Mar 25, 2011
Hm. I did have twrp... So when I do a reset via the settings menu, it uses recovery to perform the actual reset? And then because I had twrp, the data partition wasn't wiped?

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hm. I did have twrp... So when I do a reset via the settings menu, it uses recovery to perform the actual reset? And then because I had twrp, the data partition wasn't wiped?

Yeah because both twrp and cwm are set like that. Try factory reset using stock recovery and you'll see nothing left on your phone. Just like how you first bought it from store.

Reactions: attila123456

Neet

Jun 2, 2009

You can actually do complete wipe from custom recovery... You just have to manually select individual portions including sdcard...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah because both twrp and cwm are set like that. Try factory reset using stock recovery and you'll see nothing left on your phone. Just like how you first bought it from store.