Nexus 5 or Xperia Z

Search This thread

vhl71

Oct 31, 2012
Hi
I've an opportunity to trade my Xperia Z for a Nexus 5. What do you guys think?
The only reason I'm even considering this is due to the fast updates of android from google. My carrier here in canada is way too slow.. We were on 4.1 all these days ..just released 4.3 today..

What are the pros and cons?

I really like the look of my Xperia Z though..

Tommy-Geenexus

Apr 30, 2013
I live on a Stone Hill.
Hi
I've an opportunity to trade my Xperia Z for a Nexus 5. What do you guys think?
The only reason I'm even considering this is due to the fast updates of android from google. My carrier here in canada is way too slow.. We were on 4.1 all these days ..just released 4.3 today..

What are the pros and cons?

I really like the look of my Xperia Z though..

yes you should do this !

the n5 is great. However i personally will get the moto x as a seco dary device as i don't need that much power but rather a compact solid phone.

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
The Nexus 5 has a faster CPU/GPU indeed, but the Xperia Z has better cameras, an SD card slot, an FM radio and better build quality / premium materials. It also depends on how much you like the Sony experience, with exclusive Sony features (Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2, WALKMAN, PlayStation Mobile, DUALSHOCK 3 support, Clear Phase and xLOUD audio, Smart Social Camera, My Xperia, etc.) and a more polished user interface.

christianfgs

Feb 1, 2011
I believe the Nexus has is and has always been a developer oriented device. While the Xperia Z is more consumer-media oriented.
Each has its pros and cons, but generally, they both are great devices and its just a matter of what ecosystem(Google - Sony) you prefer.

kingrion88

Oct 28, 2013
Personally, I'd say go for Nexus 5. As mentioned earlier by other people nexus 5 is faster, the only thing nexus lost is on camera and build quality. X.Z is more towards premium side. Sony UI and so on is really my cup of tea. :good:

However, the reason why I propose you to go for nexus 5 is because of DEVELOPMENT. Not only it is faster there, there are tons of elite developer there. I'm not saying that XZ does not have elite developer, (we have alnikki, doomlord, niaboc and many many more). But, if you have noticed, development in XZ has noticeably gone slower and I believe at some time it will just die. In fact, the number of developer keep reducing over time. Just compare and you'll notice. Unless you are not into development, then go for Xperia Z. Otherwise Nexus 5 would be a better choice.

p/s: I own a nexus 4 (and assumed the development in N5 is the same), so I know the development progress in comparison to xperia Z very well.

Last edited:

jpacho89

Nov 3, 2012
Bilbao
Xperia Z without doubt.
Even the Nexus having a little bit better SoC, the building materials and quality of the Xperia Z are more important in my opinion.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: vhl71
G

GuestK00328

You're in luck... I own both a Xperia Z and a Nexus 5.

Performance
Firstly, the N5 is significantly faster. That thing is flipping quick.
The XZ isn't slow, but it isn't near the N5 in speed.

Sound
The sound quality on my XZ is bad. I'm not sure if mine is faulty, or it's just because of the waterproofing on the speaker.
The N5 speaker isn't brilliant, but it is better.
For headphone performance, the XZ is noticeably better, even without ClearAudio+ activated

The music playing application is the main issue with music on the N5. I hate Google music (Sure, I could simply use a different app, but still), it is frustrating to use and just plain annoying. Walkman, to me is the best music player by far, perhaps just my opinion, but you may value it anyway.

Screen
This is where it gets tricky.
I'm sure you've heard complaints about Sony's TFT displays, saying their viewing angles are bad, I however, very much like the XZ display.
To me, the display of the XZ is very realistic. The colours look real, the text looks sharp.
But the display of the N5 is also very nice. Better viewing angles (if you're into looking at your phone at weird angles.)
The colours don't look as real, but nowhere near as fake as that of Samsung. The screen is colourful, and definitely very good.

The ROMs of these two phones suit the screens very well. Sony's rom is largely black & white, with greyish gradients. The wallpapers are landscapes that really go well with the screen.
The N5 has an interface that is made up of 'synthetic' backgrounds - abstract, computer-made images that are colourful. The screen suits it very well.

I've tried swapping the wallpapers, and they don't work as well on each others screens.

Interface
Much like the screen, this is personal preference. I like the small app feature of the XZ, very useful.
I love the XZ interface in general, whenever I try to use AOSP, I just come back to the XZ.
The AOSP interface is good, but to me it just isn't as good.

Camera
I don't use the camera much, so I don't have much of an opinion. I just know that they are both good.

Build Quality
Don't assume that the N5 build quality is bad. I was actually very surprised by its build quality.
It feels solid, of an appropriate weight. Very impressive.
The N5 is shaped in a way that fits your hand better than the XZ - it feels smaller than what it actually is, which I like.
The build quality of the XZ is brilliant. Certainly something to boast about. Hell, the thing is water resistant. How many phones have that?

ziich

Mar 1, 2013
Jacksonville
if I were you i would go for the n5. it has good build quality and better battery life than the z, it has a ridiculously accurate screen and is better in low light photography.
go and read anandtech's review on it and see if it is really for you

botN3t

Apr 13, 2011
Mel-AU
well i just went back from nexus 5 to Xperia Z, lack of micro sd slot killed it for me... i need the space...

n5 has its +'s but realised soon without microSD space runs out fast .... well at least for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xperia Z without doubt.
    Even the Nexus having a little bit better SoC, the building materials and quality of the Xperia Z are more important in my opinion.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app