KFHD System.img Recovery Tool

Search This thread

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
My kindle is brick for installing process of cm10.1. so i enter the fastboot mode and use this tool .

but after restore su & reboot , amazon logo (yellow colored kindle fire) appear and stopped

how do i fix it? please help me

using the cm10 process means that you have loaded a custom recovery. That means you need to flash the original recovery system back to the device. I believe verygreen explains this in his post on the cm10 build. You could use this tool but you would have to use the downgrade method explained in the op.

Reactions: Poke851Le

Poke851Le

Aug 23, 2012
using the cm10 process means that you have loaded a custom recovery. That means you need to flash the original recovery system back to the device. I believe verygreen explains this in his post on the cm10 build. You could use this tool but you would have to use the downgrade method explained in the op.

Thank you for a kind answer. Your tool made the rooting of my Kindle easy !

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
So this will not work with twrp and the 2nd bootloader installed? You must revert prior? How about just flashing update.zip like the first gen device?

Born2BeMild

Mar 5, 2011

I'm caught in the same issue, and like an idiot, I didn't back up my recovery, is there anyway I can get back to it? can someone else just back up their recovery and I could flash that?

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester

LivingChampion

Jul 1, 2011
Yes you should be able to flash the stock recovery and boot.img's from anyone. Heres a link for those from 8.1.4:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4lZEJI5lYeMckl3aGZlY05VTWs/edit?usp=sharing

Was following the steps to make my device work with TWRP but got the stuck orange logo screen. Does anyone mind giving me the stock.img recovery and boot.img for 8.30? 8.1.4 does not work anymore and I was an idiot for not backing it up. I assumed this would work incase something went wrong but I was wrong.

Born2BeMild

Mar 5, 2011
You can flash the 8.1.4 boot and other images and use this tool to downgrade yourself to it.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

ryanb4614

Jul 9, 2008
Thank you so much! I was searching everywhere for something to fix my kindle!!! This worked 100% Super easy!

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
Does this work on 8.3.0? If so, which one do I use?

Downloads:
KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

htcdesirezgeorge

May 8, 2011
I was wondering the same thing.I used the latest version to restore/root with apex launcher and now I am stuck in a bootloop until I get to the "Your Kindle is having trouble starting" screen where I have the option to restore to fac defaults or reboot. anyone have an idea of how I can fix it? I do NOT have TWRP installed or anything, just fastboot. Should I download the 8.3 files and fastboot flash each of the files needed?

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
I got stuck on a boot loop and I just used the instructions that lizzord30 posted on "http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2217299". The tool depending on the option you choose can do a few different things. Such as Flash the 8.1.4 version to your kindle and then you can start over with the process on "http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175".

If you are stuck on a boot loop, try turning off the device, disconnecting it from the pc, open up cmd from the location you have your fastboot file and your other img/bin files by pressing shift+right click and choose open cmd something, and then you should see " < waiting for device> ):" on the cmd, then connect your device and it should go to fastboot. If you get it in fastboot you can use the First Aid Software to flash the 8.1.4 software to restore your device and start over. Hopefully this should solve your bootloop issue.

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
Once you are able to get the device back to 8.1.4 just follow the instructions on the second link I provided to change the boatloader/flash recovery/Root and you should be fine. It tool me hours last night to do it but I was successful. I wish you luck. :D

yu3196

Jul 16, 2007
Sorry, I'm a noob of KFHD8 and I'd tried to install 2nd bootloader/TWRP on my device. But I failed to put those files need to put in /SDCARD/*.*.

So right now, I just can use fast mode to flash bootloader and recovery .img files.

I'm wondering that can I use this tool to recovery into stock ROM?
My steps
1. Use fastboot flash "kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin"
2. Then use "SR_tool_V2.0" and select option 4
3. And select option 3
4. Finally, select option 6 to exit

But I still stuck in boot "KindleFire" in orange color.
Please any expert can teach me what should I do to save my KFHD8?
Many thanks!

Max

TheManiac

Jul 4, 2012
Sorry, I'm a noob of KFHD8 and I'd tried to install 2nd bootloader/TWRP on my device. But I failed to put those files need to put in /SDCARD/*.*.

So right now, I just can use fast mode to flash bootloader and recovery .img files.

I'm wondering that can I use this tool to recovery into stock ROM?
My steps
1. Use fastboot flash "kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin"
2. Then use "SR_tool_V2.0" and select option 4
3. And select option 3
4. Finally, select option 6 to exit

But I still stuck in boot "KindleFire" in orange color.
Please any expert can teach me what should I do to save my KFHD8?
Many thanks!

Max
I am in the same deliema please somebody help us :(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

F@@dog

May 25, 2012
Dallas TX
THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
2. Run SR Tool
Screwed up my 8.9 after OTA to 8.3.1 now in circular boot ending in do you want to restore to factory default.. which also fails. Is there a new version of KFHD_SRT for the new Amazon update? Tried going to German site to download and go a java extension that does ne nothing!

Thanks

GermanJPL

May 4, 2013
hello Forum,

I need your help to understand the SR tool. I have the zip file downloaded and unzipped. With the sr-tool.bat I start the tool as adminsitrator.

When I select items 1 and Off the Kindle, I get into fastboot mode.

But what I must do then, to replace the system.img?

mfg

J-P

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
    KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
    This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
    A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
    1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
    2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
    KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
    KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
    12-24-12
    System v8.1.4
    12-12-12:
    System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
    Option menu has changed
    New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
    Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
    I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
    Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    Onemeilia:
    would you be able to post an unmodified system image for restore back to stock?
    Is it already there and I'm missing something?

There is no way to make a system.img backup without being rooted. If you use the option with su binary/superuser.apk only, it is as close to stock as you can get. To get to completely stock you would just need to move superuser.apk from system/app folder to data/app folder, then go to system/xbin folder and delete the su files. After this do a factory reset and you'll be back to stock.
    Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.
    I'm caught in the same issue, and like an idiot, I didn't back up my recovery, is there anyway I can get back to it? can someone else just back up their recovery and I could flash that?

Yes you should be able to flash the stock recovery and boot.img's from anyone. Heres a link for those from 8.1.4:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4lZEJI5lYeMckl3aGZlY05VTWs/edit?usp=sharing
    Is this one version 8.1.2 or 8.1.3?
    Need a rootable.

The backup was done right out of the box after root, so it would be as close to factory as possible. It should be 8.1.2, but 8.1.3 is rootable also. I lost root after the update and was still able to root.