please delete

Would you like to have the option of a "Desktop UI" web browser?

• Yes

Votes: 307 97.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 2.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I will be handling port requests through my website. If there is enough demand and the device can support it, I will work with developers to get this ported to your device. Start a thread in your respective device's forum to see if there is enough demand and refer them to this thread and the website for details.

To make things easier you device needs the following:
The ability to run a CyanogenMod 7 ROM
High resolution video out (HDMI preferred for ease of porting)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancake345

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
I've been wanting to try this forever. However I've upgraded to CM7 and they don't have the mouse pointer support, so I guess I'll have to wait to see if/when it's included.:( I want it, but not bad enough to downgrade to CM6. Back to rockin angry birds on the 50" Plasma. Although I'm using HDMwIn.

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I've been wanting to try this forever. However I've upgraded to CM7 and they don't have the mouse pointer support, so I guess I'll have to wait to see if/when it's included.:( I want it, but not bad enough to downgrade to CM6. Back to rockin angry birds on the 50" Plasma. Although I'm using HDMwIn.

I was really happy when I saw mouse pointers in the commit for CM7 but it ended up getting rejected. The rumor was for cosmetic reasons which if true is pretty lame. I also have issue with the stability/bugs of CM7 too but that's a different matter.

The setup really doesn't depend on one app or the other for mirroring.

DonSolo

May 3, 2010
Warren,MI
Wonder why this thread isn't on fire! This is groundbreaking! I'm about to switch romz just to test and see what u come up wit

Sent from the Hood in my Fallout Vault!

Reactions: Lokifish Marz
G

gqstatus0685

Subscribed and bumped to the top.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
I was really happy when I saw mouse pointers in the commit for CM7 but it ended up getting rejected. The rumor was for cosmetic reasons which if true is pretty lame. I also have issue with the stability/bugs of CM7 too but that's a different matter.

The setup really doesn't depend on one app or the other for mirroring.

Yea, I had i asked about it over on the CM7 Thread, and this was the conversation over there, and the response that I had gotten.So hopefully in CM7.1?? :)

Hello all,

First, let me say what an Awesome ROM CM is. I love it and I love CM7 even better.

I was hoping to request that the Mouse Pointer for BT HiD mice that was in CM6 could be brought into CM7?

I would make a huge impact on my use of the ROM and I am sure for others also.

HDMI mirroring and the cursor = perfection.

Anyone know if that is even being worked on ? Now that we have HDMI, 4G, keyboard via BT, it is the last remaining piece of the puzzle to make the EVO a full-fledge laptop replacement when traveling...

I wanted to ask this question again, does anyone have any other information regarding the mouse pointer? I ask because this thread mentions the possibility of it being included in CM7 Final. I was able to get the HID support for the keyboard to work with Bluetooth just like on RC4, however still no mouse pointer that I'm able to locate.

There are a few CM6 features that aren’t part of CM7 yet, but they are in the queue for 7.1 already.

Source: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-7-0-released

Edit: After reading over the submitted change from the before-mentioned thread, I can see why it was not included. The easiest-to-explain issue is the fact that the mouse pointer is static in size and color, regardless of theme or screen resolution.

laydros

Jun 5, 2010
This is great. There aren't a lot of people really into this apparently, but I love the idea. I've played with it quite a bit, but you've fixed a lot of problems by doing it this way. I didn't know there was a way to get accelerated HDMI out on CM6. And for some reason I didn't ever think to change the LCD density when using HDMI out, duh!

The biggest problem to me is the lack of a Ctrl key. I had noticed this back on CM6. Part of what I like so much about this setup is just skipping the mouse and using CLI stuff. But without a ctrl key, things are a pain. I think connect bot maps ctrl to the trackball. I didn't see anything in your keyboard map that indicated trackball select, but maybe there is a way to map something that way.

You mentioned that the keys in red caused problems, is that no matter what they are mapped to? You did map the alt keys, maybe we could map them to ctrl or to trackball press.

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
This is cool enough so that I may keep a NAND backup of CM6 just to be able to do this. I wish I had more time to help test this out and provide feedback. I know how much time you have put into this Loki.......thank you for all your efforts.

Can you elaborate for on what the poll question means? By "Desktop UI", do you mean that the browser itself would be in another format that would allow this to work better?

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Can you elaborate for on what the poll question means? By "Desktop UI", do you mean that the browser itself would be in another format that would allow this to work better?

Imagine if your phone's browser had a "Desktop" skin that was a clone if it's desktop equal. The current issue with browsing the web while mirroring is the the browsers take up way too much of the screen. I've inserted a comparison of mobile browsers vs a "Desktop UI" browser skin example (far right) showing almost all the same buttons at the same time. For a better comparison, download the image and view it full screen your PC. I hope this clears things up.

Browser%20compare.jpg

Reactions: rugedraw

LyndenP

Oct 8, 2010
Boulder
This is interesting.I think I might have to try this. It will be tomorrow but if I give it a go ill report back.

Sent from space

eraserhd

Jul 3, 2010
I'm using a BT mouse and pointer with CM7 nightly 41 right now. Hopefully the newest code, submitted on April 17th will be accepted. It is currently under review.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mouse pointer in CM7 (keeping the facts straight)

Just to keep the facts straight, the original patch was not rejected for cosmetic reasons or because people didn't like it but abandoned by me.

The original patch, written by someone at Always Innovating for their devices, includes the mouse mapping (without this the x,y position of the mouse and the buttons are not mapped [this is not an original part of CM7 or android code but his contribution, the handling built into CM7 is simply recognizing the mouse as a trackball like the Nexus One has] ) and it changed ViewRoot and called back the window manager to move a surface that was only the size of the cursor on any mouse event. Two of the reviewers took issue with the changes to ViewRoot because of a possible performance hit by cross-binding. I did not notice any such impact, but while researching the issue I decided to abandon that submission and I came up with an entirely different way of handling input and drawing the pointer.

The new method I wrote uses the mouse mapper from Always Innovating then calls a MousePointer view from an input handler in PhoneWindowManager. If you have the mouse pointer setting disabled there is no change in the way the phone functions (no overhead other than a check to see if the setting has changed). So far there has only been one checkout of the code (and he didn't seem to check out the settings so I don't imagine it would work), no reviews, so not much interest from devs. Why? I imagine because this is really only useful on phones with hdmi out. I also don't know where CM7 devs discuss these issues, so the thread at the CM7 forum is the only place I posted this info.

As far as cosmetic changes, this should be fairly simple to do, just a matter of adding some additional settings to impact size, color, or shape. Scroll handling is another issue entirely, having to due with the fact that scrolling changes with context. This would require more advanced handling, but it is something to look forward to.
    Evo, this is Houston. We are a go for CyanogenMod7.
    Need feedback
    There is a way to assign scripts to hardware keys. So yes or no guys? If yes, what would you liike to see.
    Very slick write up :)

Thanks for sharing.