[Bounty] Help get Drew Garen a Flyer !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mhkabir98

Jan 28, 2012
Kolkata
www.instructables.com
I suggest that Drew open a thread about his AOSP build in the development section and post all his updates there.

BTW @drew: how come your are a dev, and yet new to XDA?!

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA Premium HD app

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
Progress report posted yesterday on Drew's web site was a little disheartening. Good luck with your efforts

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using xda premium

Reactions: hoatienii

Chaosz-X

Jan 25, 2011
Just wondering: how could by development stuff almost have bricked a tablet? If it was an issue that got fixed by a nandroid, it was just a ROM that refused to boot. That's definitely not a brick. Aside from that, the only thing that could seem like a brick with the stuff I had was a bug in the update script that killed the cache partition, and was only fixable by sending a 'fastboot erase cache'.

No other freaky stuff going on there..

And I assume you had the right base addresses and right HBOOTs for the stuff you were trying?

ChimeraPhone

Jun 30, 2009
drewgaren,
Do you anticipate any issues with enabling 3G voice capability on your ICS build for the Flyer? I bought a 3G Flyer recently with the goal of having one device to use for all my mobile communications, but the LeeDroid HC version I've installed is not capable of bluetooth calling as well as exhibiting odd screen timeout issues after a call. These issues have been standing for months now so hope is fading that they will ever be fixed

(no, I do not want to go back to Gingerbread but I may end up biting that bullet in the meantime)
(and no I did not know LeeDroid's HC ROM had these issue before my buying decision because there was no "known issues" posting about it. I had to read through a large portion of the 230+ page thread afterwards to find out what was going on)

jsimonson0

Oct 31, 2011
Bavaro, La Alta Gracia, RD
drewgaren,
Do you anticipate any issues with enabling 3G voice capability on your ICS build for the Flyer? I bought a 3G Flyer recently with the goal of having one device to use for all my mobile communications,

ICS was always intended to be a phone and tablet OS (unified platform), whereas HC was tablet-only by design. The ICS phone and 3g shouldn't require the gymnastics Lee had to go through to get GSM calling to work, unless those require specific hardware drivers (which would be available via the stock GB ROM). HC had the phone innards disabled at the OS level.

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
unless those require specific hardware drivers (which would be available via the stock GB ROM)
any specific reasons why you assume that we can just take drivers off a 2.3 rom for use with 4.x? if its all that easy, i would have gotten Bluetooth,hardware working long time ago on the 4.x rom of htc, which is native to htc hardware. but yet, some differences.

life is not that easy as you might assume here.
and compiling new drivers require hardware device driver development skills, which is not what is normal to develop, when proprietary drivers are in use. or you have to start from scratch.

best example is camera solution with 2.x/3.x was not a hw specific built device driver in a hw folder like previously. now it is, and where do you get that driver built unless you make a wrapper to use the old one, which again require more experience in driver programming.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Closed source drivers are always the issue. IMO if companies are done with a product they should just release them.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA

drewgaren

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2010
Detroit
Replies

I am not new to XDA i just normally do not post any thing in the threads. I am posting in the threads now because of my work for the Flyer. I don't post because of the fact I have to keep checking up on the threads and it takes a lot of work. I will be checking up on the Flyer thread though.

Yes when I received my Flyer I semi bricked by attempting to install someone elses rom and test some features. Didn't work. So no I have S-OFF Honeycomb on just fine and dandy working great.

Lets talk ICS progress:

I have a beta up and running, I'm going to be testing it because I just got it running last night. I will put it my site if all goes well.

In the mean time I working on another build. Screen shots will also be post at my site later.

manlord

Sep 20, 2011
Quebec City
This is just an idea not really a request.

An awesome feature in a AOSP Rom for the Flyer would be to have a trigger and be able to switch from phone to tablet view.

Wonder if its possible.

Gumby63

Dec 7, 2010
Atlanta
This is just an idea not really a request.

An awesome feature in a AOSP Rom for the Flyer would be to have a trigger and be able to switch from phone to tablet view.

Wonder if its possible.

Well for some phones all it takes to switch to tablet mode is a dpi change. So maybe it will work backwards for our tablet.

jsimonson0

Oct 31, 2011
Bavaro, La Alta Gracia, RD
any specific reasons why you assume that we can just take drivers off a 2.3 rom for use with 4.x? if its all that easy, i would have gotten Bluetooth,hardware working long time ago on the 4.x rom of htc, which is native to htc hardware. but yet, some differences.

life is not that easy as you might assume here.
and compiling new drivers require hardware device driver development skills, which is not what is normal to develop, when proprietary drivers are in use. or you have to start from scratch.

best example is camera solution with 2.x/3.x was not a hw specific built device driver in a hw folder like previously. now it is, and where do you get that driver built unless you make a wrapper to use the old one, which again require more experience in driver programming.

Didn't know the drivers had been rewritten from scratch for HC and ICS; I presumed there was some degree of software downward compatibility that exists on almost every other computing platform.

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
He tweeted

“@drewgaren: Flyer ics works but buggy. Recompiling new build to test and if possible will upload. No internet currently on vacation”

Reactions: hoatienii

drewgaren

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2010
Detroit
Guys I'm trying to read post and get back to you but I'm on vacation right now and have no internet I'm using the xda app on my phone but it won't let me scroll through the pages to view comments so I'll have to get back to you later. I do have some screens and I'll get them up as soon as possible. I also just started recompiling a new build to attempt to rid more bugs. I will also be trying to make up a new custom kernel based off of choasxk source and leedroids and see if that helps the build. Right now ics feels laggy. Whether as it shouldn't I'll be working on it though since I have everything downloaded already. I'll be home by next week and you guys will have much more in store to look for word to and definitely downloads

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I'm headed home today so I'll be able to get more work done on ics and a new kernel. Sorry I can't reply back for some reason I can't view previous pages on the xda app and using the browser is a pain.

I have made a ton of progress though. I have a compiled version of ics up and running with honeycomb soff there is no need to send a command for the touch screen to work like chaosx's original kernel build. I have no force reboots. The most important issue that I currently face is getting the screen working properly. This seems to be because the graphics aren't updated for ics but I'm working on a work arounds currently that will better fix the problem. I am also working on a wifi fix. Sound and data, back camera seem to work fine and pretty much everything else. The front camera does not work though I have not tested it with the full ics lib files necessary. I will try. I have the most up to date kernel from HTC and will be building a new kernel from that to see if it helps in anyway with graphics and wifi. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to get you guys a full proper build. I had it running on my flyer but it needs to be perfect and a few more pieces need to fit into the puzzle to get it there. I know I have been lacking on my github but when I'm done I'll get everything for you guys so you can build as well.

About a sense version: a sense version will very well come out when I get prop files.

Download eta: these builds can't be rushed I want to say sooner then later. I will have the builds at my site so pay attention there. The reason I haven't released any yet is that I will not be held responsible for what errors you make while installing it or what's happens to your flyer. I will get a test build up shortly that will not be the final product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    Update and Upcoming Beta Test Download

No I'm not continiuing Chaos's work except working off of their Kernel. For my first beta that I will be uploading soon I compiled base on Ice Cold Sandwich 7.4 and my own device modifications, build, patch and compiling modifications, kernel modifications and other neccessary modifications.

I am also currently building a new kernel based off of LordClockan's kernel which is in testing and I am also testing another kernel that I am working on based on Leedroid's kernel.

The current beta that I will be releasing on my site in the next few days will not be the final build, but is a just a proof of concept that I am making a huge progress. I am currently working on a CM9 build and AOSP build that I should have done within the next week.

What works in the current beta:
    Data
    Camera
    Video Recorder
    Audio
    Storage
    NTrig Pen (Though there is not really a use for it)
    most other things...

What doesn't work:
    Graphic errors (screen may at times look like it's having a siezure)
    Wifi (does not work yet, kernel error, needs fixing...)
    Front Camera (haven't put the files in yet)

It will be coming soon. I worked my whole vacation to get a pretty good version ready. This will not be a daily driver by any means but with my new kernels in testing and my new builds in progress it should turn out great.

Also I appreciate any donations as I don't really have a job right now and I have to pay the bills some how.

You guys are great, check my site soon for a download.

Screens are attached.
    Updates!

Just got my Flyer from UPS! I opened it up and was sad to see that has 0% charge so I'm charging it up right now so I can begin some hardcore work tonight.

So far I have made progress, I have fixed many compiling issues and everything should boot up fine. I will be compiling build today and then testing out the Flyer for bugs later tonight if all goes well.

Wish me luck. I'll report everything later on my website as well.

Any downloads I have that are ready will be posted eventually on my site and all progress will be updated on the site later tonight or tomorrow.

I won't have any downloads up until I have at least a partially working build up. I have not tested anything yet.
    Replies

I am not new to XDA i just normally do not post any thing in the threads. I am posting in the threads now because of my work for the Flyer. I don't post because of the fact I have to keep checking up on the threads and it takes a lot of work. I will be checking up on the Flyer thread though.

Yes when I received my Flyer I semi bricked by attempting to install someone elses rom and test some features. Didn't work. So no I have S-OFF Honeycomb on just fine and dandy working great.

Lets talk ICS progress:

I have a beta up and running, I'm going to be testing it because I just got it running last night. I will put it my site if all goes well.

In the mean time I working on another build. Screen shots will also be post at my site later.
    Oké guys.

Let's say we close this thread till we actually see something right ;)

Cheers
    Whiskey
    Forum Moderator