Rooted Kindle Fire HD with working GAPPS and Play Store

Search This thread

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Any idea if the gapps pack will work here if manually installing the apk?

Version 20120429 from http://goo.im/gapps ?

Yes and No. Depends on what you install but from what I noticed when trying to get talk to function, there is too much code missing in the amazon build. Such as talk apk itself will function but there are issues. There is no video and there is no voice. There appears to be something not keeping the app awake even though you are still technically signed in and can still receive messages. I've tried to put libvideochat_ini.so and libvideochat_stablize.so into the proper folders. Now the video will initiate, but there is no sound. Also you can only make an out going video ONCE and can not receive an incoming video. This was as far as I got before I got frustrated and went to the N7 (I use talk a lot to communicate so I needed something stable). I'm no dev but from my conclusion, there is too much missing. A full rom will be needed in order for all of this to function correctly.

Another example is that the VoiceSearch.apk is already installed on the KFHD, except it's missing other components to make it function that is normally built into a full version of android.

If you feel up to it, by all means continue the research. I have a thread about talk and sync settings in the general section. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I installed googleframeworks, moved vending.apk to /system/app, set the permissions to rw-r-r, then clicked on it and installed it. Afterward, I exited es explorer and clicked on the newly created market app, but it just flashes a white loading screen.

I take it you are using the googleframeworks provided in this thread? I know it won't work with the 4.0.3 version.

You can try to install gmail to activate your google account and see if the market will open.

Last edited:

CarlosDMB

Oct 19, 2012
fnways william

You need to change the system from read/only to read/write. Have you tried to do that? In root explorer there is a tap box at the top of the screen that does that.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

Hello,

Ive been reading a lot for the past days. Im new to the android /kindle community so this has been a painfull process. Anyhow, I managed to root (I believe) my HFHD and I got to show the superuser app. Installed root explorer trough a .apk file since I cant download any app from the amazon store due to not being located in the US, managed to give root explorer superuser acces (its showing the happy face :p) but when I open it and try to change permissions to system (long holding the folder until menu appears) but when I click on permissions it gives me the same error already listed here. "System permissions cannot be changed because the file system is read-only"
Tried pinching the mount R/W gray box at the upper left corner and its doing nothing, it stays stating "mounted as r/o".

Any insights about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CarlosDMB

Oct 19, 2012
Might want to redo the SU permissions for root explorer just to make sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Went in to the super user app and selected root explorer then the trash can icon. Opened root explorer and it gave me the message that its been granted super user acces but still nothing happens when I click on r/w.

Hopefully this does not become annoying to the rest of the readers.

Thanks,

Edit: In order to fix it I re-rooted the devices once again and un-installed and re-installed Superuser.apk. Its now letting me mount R/W.

Last edited:

ajm1980

Oct 23, 2012
Ok, ive downloaded googleservicesframework from the link provided, and I cant seem to find the actual installation file, it seems just xml files and such, am I missing something? How do i get this installed?

I am a noob.

timbonator

Oct 23, 2012
The first post needs to be updated to include the googleloginservice.apk install. I would keep getting the flashing white screen until this was included in the system/apps folder.

naddel81

Oct 24, 2012
Confirmed this still works on 7.2.1.

After you KFHD updates, you'll need to re-root, then re-install the market using the method outlined in this thread.

So when I just rooted my kindle fire, how to get a file explorer on it to do the rest (google play store) which is explained in this thread? first I need a superuser file explorer, right? how to get that?

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
You can download ES File explorer from amazon appstore. It's free and will do everything you need. You just need make sure to go into the settings of ES and turn on the root directory option and mount system folder to r/w option. Or Google rootexplorer.apk and download it on the device. After you download go to the download.apk in your app drawer. Just click on the download and it should give the option to install.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

naddel81

Oct 24, 2012
You can download ES File explorer from amazon appstore. It's free and will do everything you need. You just need make sure to go into the settings of ES and turn on the root directory option and mount system folder to r/w option. Or Google rootexplorer.apk and download it on the device. After you download go to the download.apk in your app drawer. Just click on the download and it should give the option to install.

thank you so much! I think I can go on from here!

by the way: is there a possibility to keep my root and protect it from auto-updates by amazon?

Last edited:

CarlosDMB

Oct 19, 2012
On topic: After rooting again the device all is working fine after last update. (7.2.1)

Off topic:
thank you so much! I think I can go on from here!

by the way: is there a possibility to keep my root and protect it from auto-updates by amazon?

I would like as well to find a reliable method to do this. Ive been reading about it since last update and only thing I find is about 1st gen Kindles runing on versiones < 6.x. Im trying Droidwall but not sure if itll do the trick. Would like someone with more expirience to give me a hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toxification

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I gave this a shot and it worked perfectly.

1. Root your Kindle Fire HD
    2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    3. Download Vending.apk
    4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
    5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
    6. Install Vending.apk
    7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
    8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
    9. Enjoy!

GoogleServicesFramework.apk - mediafire.com/?zaumfwhraxcifqf
    Vending.apk - mediafire.com/?31bn3e258jjpj8d
    Play.apk - mediafire.com/?wwcqrlfwt8o1gnv
    Does Amazon Instant video still work after rooting? A bunch of people keep asking this.

Yeah works fine after root.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Yeah works fine after root.

I figured out how to get Google Play Movies to work as well. Place in system/app folder. set permissions to rw r r. reboot. install from file explorer launcher. If it doesn't work, reinstall again. Youtube signs in now as well using the same method!!!

YEAH BABY!
    try rebooting the fire.

okay, so what worked for me was reinstalling the framework services and rebooting right after, now i am signed in thanks!! :D
    So I gave this a shot and it worked perfectly.

1. Root your Kindle Fire HD
    2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    3. Download Vending.apk
    4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
    5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
    6. Install Vending.apk
    7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
    8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
    9. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that we have no way of restoring the system folder yet, so if anything goes wrong with this process, you may end up bricking your tablet. Just a warning. :D
    how about attaching said apks?

or at least which ones?

i'm going to guess it's the latest gapps for ICS though?

GoogleServicesFramework.apk - mediafire.com/?zaumfwhraxcifqf
    Vending.apk - mediafire.com/?31bn3e258jjpj8d
    Play.apk - mediafire.com/?wwcqrlfwt8o1gnv