[Q] How To Root HTC One Google Edition?

Search This thread

Nxxx

Dec 20, 2011
Hi everyone I'm an experienced rooter and am having trouble finding a method to root the Google Play Edition HTC One. Can anyone link me to a method or let me know how to do it?

mickey4mice

Oct 18, 2011
Hi everyone I'm an experienced rooter and am having trouble finding a method to root the Google Play Edition HTC One. Can anyone link me to a method or let me know how to do it?

I've mine unlocked with "fastboot oem unlock", but I'm not able to root the phone. In fact, I think I've lost my stock recovery, I didn't check it before unlock, so I'm not even sure if the recovery had been missing before the phone was unlocked. When I try to boot into recovery now, all I get is an android robot on its belly with a red warning triangle on it. I also can't boot/flash custom recovery either, adb seems the phone just fine, but it tries to push the recovery, the phone just freeze up.

Someone else on android central forum also has his stock recovery missing right out of the box, getting the same belly-up robot as mine, very strange.

mdandashly

Dec 6, 2012
I've mine unlocked with "fastboot oem unlock", but I'm not able to root the phone. In fact, I think I've lost my stock recovery, I didn't check it before unlock, so I'm not even sure if the recovery had been missing before the phone was unlocked. When I try to boot into recovery now, all I get is an android robot on its belly with a red warning triangle on it. I also can't boot/flash custom recovery either, adb seems the phone just fine, but it tries to push the recovery, the phone just freeze up.

Someone else on android central forum also has his stock recovery missing right out of the box, getting the same belly-up robot as mine, very strange.

I unlocked bootoader on mine using fastboot oem unlock. I just flashed twrp image and then installed SuperSU.

I wanted to unroot and that gave me trouble. Used recovery and factory images I found laying around the forums. Still don't know if I did it right.

mickey4mice

Oct 18, 2011
I unlocked bootoader on mine using fastboot oem unlock. I just flashed twrp image and then installed SuperSU.

I wanted to unroot and that gave me trouble. Used recovery and factory images I found laying around the forums. Still don't know if I did it right.

can you post the link to stock recovery you found? I couldn't flash the stock recovery image I found on the forum, says "different signature".

mdandashly

Dec 6, 2012

mickey4mice

Oct 18, 2011

Also, did you get "FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))" when unlock? Mine unlocked just fine but I don't if that error msg at the end of the process effected anything else.

mdandashly

Dec 6, 2012
Also, did you get "FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))" when unlock? Mine unlocked just fine but I don't if that error msg at the end of the process effected anything else.

Yeah it may have said failed. But everything seems to have worked. I'm just trying to get back to stock bc I may need to RMA.

mickey4mice

Oct 18, 2011
You do know the Android on it's back is the stock recovery?...

Yeah, but mine is the belly-up android without any menu or means to get into recovery menu. Maybe I missed something?

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Yeah, but mine is the belly-up android without any menu or means to get into recovery menu. Maybe I missed something?

Arrrhhh...never mind. I finally brought up the recovery menu by pressing the power+vol up/down buttons REALLY REALLY HARD! I tried this combo for 3 days without success, I think the vol up button is finally loosening up, weird I don't have any problem using it on the phone, just in the recovery mode.

mickey4mice

Oct 18, 2011
Stock recovery really doesn't have anything you can do In it

Yes, but all I need is gain root and keep stock for OTA, don't want to flash back and forth every time an update comes in.

Sideloading CWM "fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.1-m7.img" isn't working for me, keep stuck on downloading...nothing happens.

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Yes, but all I need is gain root and keep stock for OTA, don't want to flash back andrth every time an update comes in.

Sideloading CWM "fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.1-m7.img" isn't working for me, keep stuck on downloading...nothing happens.

A bit confused on what command you're trying...do you want to flash cwm? Then " fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

mickey4mice

Oct 18, 2011
A bit confused on what command you're trying...do you want to flash cwm? Then " fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

I don't want to permanently flash a custom recovery like CWM, only want to sideload it to flash SuperSU and gain root. The command I use is "fastboot boot recovery.img" where recovery.img being the name of CWM. Don't know why it's not working though.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Yeah, but mine is the belly-up android without any menu or means to get into recovery menu. Maybe I missed something?.

Yes, that's the stock recovery. You then have to press power + volume up (in the case of the Nexus 4, for example). You have to manually flash CWM as you would for the normal One

e.g. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

You apparently can no longer 'boot' into CWM - you have to flash it