Is the IK8 the right one for me?

Search This thread

tamonez

Jul 10, 2014
East Bay, CA
My intent is to have a small android device that I can run Pandora on. I currently own a Nexus 7 2013 on T-mobile. I'd like to be able to swap the sim card in that into a smart watch and couple it with a wireless bluetooth adapter so I can use my in-ear monitors and listen to Pandora when I'm at the gym or out jogging.

Am I looking at the right watch for my needs? Comments and recommendations appreciated (for either device). Thank you!

Robson

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
i picked up an ik8 while in hong kong, posted a short review here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711623

though i haven't tried pandora on it as my purpose for the watch is for gps while strapped on the handlebar of my bike. the only thing you might need getting used to is the small keyboard that pops up when you type something. though as i've said in my review, you'll get used to it and the screen is quite responsive. i'm not too sure about using it in rainy weather though.

tamonez

Jul 10, 2014
East Bay, CA
i picked up an ik8 while in hong kong, posted a short review here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711623

though i haven't tried pandora on it as my purpose for the watch is for gps while strapped on the handlebar of my bike. the only thing you might need getting used to is the small keyboard that pops up when you type something. though as i've said in my review, you'll get used to it and the screen is quite responsive. i'm not too sure about using it in rainy weather though.

I saw your post on that other thread. It's one of the main reasons why I considered this watch. I don't think the keyboard would be an issue if I can get logged in as I usually stick to my saved stations. Would you let me know if you decide to install Pandora and how it goes of you do?

Robson

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
I saw your post on that other thread. It's one of the main reasons why I considered this watch. I don't think the keyboard would be an issue if I can get logged in as I usually stick to my saved stations. Would you let me know if you decide to install Pandora and how it goes of you do?

sorry for the late response, been busy at work. confirmed that pandora works with the watch though the interface might be a tad bit small given the screen size. however, if you've saved stations then you should be just fine. as mentioned previously, once you start using the keyboard, you have to be patient with it. i still make the occassional mistake but i rarely use the keyboard as i'm happy with the setup. in the other ik8 thread, drlex recommended using slide pass as an alternative to the built in keyboard. haven't tried it out yet but it seems to work well.

you'll definitely need to use bluetooth to pair a good set of earphones. the watch doesn't have a 3.5 jack and the earphones which come with it aren't really tops. i've already paired the watch with an old itech unit, coupled with my senheiser buds. works well. battery should be enough for you if you're out for a run...though i'm not sure if it'll last if say you're doing a 5-hour marathon. i've used gps on it for like 3 hours riding on my bike and it went down 50%.

one thing to be careful though is using the watch in the gym. the specs do not mention "water resistant" unlike other watches which claim to be (which i don't really believe). you might need to wear something like a wrist band undernearth to protech the watch from sweat. same goes for running outside.

cheers

Last edited:

pacman1891

Jan 8, 2010
It seems IK8 is 2G only in US, that means GPRS/EDGE speed. Streaming music with that connection speed could be a problem.