[ISO] xPerfect virtual appliance - Android SDK r10 / NDK r5b - dev

Search This thread

MrHassell

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne
innertech.com.au
xPerfect provides a full Android development environment in the form of a virtual machine and is free for anyone to download and use as required for building and developing Android sources, kernels, drivers, diff patches or anything else.

Built using Virtual Box and Ubuntu 10.10 x64. Latest sources and builds for Froyo and beyond require this 64bit environment and as a result I've made available this as a virtual machine for the xda community or anyone interested in Android development to use as they wish :)

This is a work in progress and is in initial release 0.1. I'm uploading this as a public torrent due to the size being 8.6GB - TAR.GZ - I'd like to invite everyone (with adequate bandwidth) to share your thoughts, idea's and suggestions for inclusion or addition and in any way to improve or perhaps remove!

HOT FIX UPDATE 0.01
xPerfect patch 0.01

fixes: sets udev filesystem - adb vendor id to sony ericsson ( 0fce )
fixes: updated ARM environment variables.
fixes: cleans apttitude and schedtool.
fixes: recheck package dependancies.
fixes: fixes libc build error in make.
fixes: missing docs directory CM7 make
fixes: returns all permissions to xperia
fixes: updates Cyanogen - repo sync.
Option to repo sync if the latest cyanogen sources are required.
Include latest Google Apps for Gingerbread
Option to fix /etc/hosts block adverts and spam - someonewhocares.org

This shell script is executed in a terminal within xPerfect. You may adapt this script to suit any Linux operating system, however it is specifically designed for the user account 'xperia' and is written with the currently distributed architecture of xPerfect without being modified.

Download xPerfect service release hotfix 0.01

Instructions: Download to xPerfect and unzip the shell script. Launch a terminal and issue the following commands;

1: Extract to ~/Documents (anywhere you like)
xperia@xperia-devBox:~/Documents$ unzip xPerfect.update.env.01.sh.zip
2: Make executable
xperia@xperia-devBox:~/Documents$ chmod 755 xPerfect.update.env.01.sh
3: Execute script as root
xperia@xperia-devBox:~/Documents$ sudo ./xPerfect.update.env.01.sh

NOTICE: This targets the xPerfect Kitchen and Sony Ericsson devices.

THANKS Ubuntu Linux, Oracle / Sun Microsystems, Eclipse, Motorola, Sony Ericson,
Android open source project (AOSP), QtADB, XDA Developer forums,
Cyanogen Mod, Zdzihu, Jerpelea, Bin4ry, Goroh_Kun, marylandcookie
ChangeLog Initial release
NEWS Build andconfiguration complete. Provides a stable environment
for android application and firmware (rom) development.
INSTALL Latest Virtual Box - http://www.virtualbox.org/

EDIT: 23-03-2011
Added myUbuntu as it is a sensational utility developed by Joseph Maillardet. myUbuntu can easily assist with tuning your installation, adding codecs, themes, fonts, and instantly providing a crisp interface better suited to programming and developers needs :)

INTERFACE UPDATE: http://www.perso.iut-nimes.fr/jmaillardet/myUbuntu/

About myUbuntu:
"myUbuntu is a script of post-installation with who you can record text files that describe all the modification you want to apply to a Ubuntu distribution freshly installed. After the text files written, execute the script on all target system and select between the options you have created the interesting elements for each one. Since the 10.04 release, myUbuntu have been totally re-written in ruby."

Copyright and licensing - Apache Open source licence respective licences contained within image MUST remain intact.

BUGS Known issues and instructions here at the original thread

PROVIDES:

Ubuntu 10.10 x64
Sun Java 6 JDK Hotspot JVM
Android SDK r10 Linux
Android NDK r5b Linux
Qt ADB - Phone explorer
Motoroloa - MotoDevStudio (eclipse ide)
Environment variables exported
Required libs & packages pre-installed and compiled

BACKGROUND:

Too much time spent messing with environments, rebuilding this and that, time and again..
It became clear a virtual machine for compiling Android sources and building applications
might be useful for anyone with the same motivations and interests. Unable to find a live-cd
or 'kitchen' for cooking roms, I decided to build my own and release it to share with other
developers and hope to find comments and suggestions for future improvments and to serve as
a way to find the perfect development environment, ready to work with and save time that is
better used creating methods, cutting code and flaming in forums (joke Mr Clown.. chill! :)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download and install Virtual Box, extract the package to a folder and import as desired.
Due to the size of the disc image this is the essential files and environment only. Many of
the 'add-ons' such as AVD devices, samples and other files have been excluded to maintain as
small download size as possible. Easily add the required files back in by directly downloading
or using the aptitude package manager: apt-get

1: Start Virtualbox
2: Inside the Virtualbox Menu click: File > Import Appliance (Ctrl+I)
3: Click the “Choose” button.
4: Locate and select the OVF file from where you extracted the files.
5: Click Open.
6: Verify your xPerfect settings are correct.
7: Make any changes to the device such as memory etc..
8: Verify the disk size.
9: Click Import

Disc space has been restricted to minimum for downloading. To increase disc size you can use
the following command within Linux after importing the virtual appliance.

cd ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks
VBoxManage clonehd xPerfect.vdi yourName.vdi

For Windows users running Virtual Box the same syntax would be done with the MS-DOS command

Start > Run > type CMD (enter)

cd c:\program files\

In the format or application syntax of;
<application> <command> <source> <target>

Sun VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface
(C) 2005-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Usage:

VBoxManage clonehd <uuid>|<filename> <outputfile>
[--format VDI|VMDK|VHD|RAW|<other>]
[--variant Standard,Fixed,Split2G,Stream,ESX]
[--type normal|writethrough|immutable]
[--remember] [--existing]

This command duplicates the appliance and creates a new UUID for the appliance, removing a
issue with id duplication and virtual drives sharing the same properties, already registered in Virtual Box.

When creating the new Virtual machine / appliance, allocate any desired disc space such as
40GB - 60GB or any number you feel comfortable with, just ensure you have enough disc space!

VBox 4.0+ supports resizing of VDIs.
This appliance was made with Virtual Box 3.1.6

VMWARE:

Anyone running VMware should download the VMware Open Virtualization Format (OVF) Tool.

http://www.vmware.com/downloads/download.do?downloadGroup=OVF-TOOL-1-0

WHY VIRTUAL BOX?

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 / AMD64 / Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise and
free home use. It's a feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers and
is the only professional solution freely available as Open Source Software under the terms
of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

Thank you to everyone who made this possible and for any questions, credits, requests, suggestions or you just feel like saying thank's! contact me private message :)

Update: 100% complete and uploading to public trackers now. Thanks to Qt ADB for authority to include the phone browser, Cyanogen for latest Gingerbread branch and everyone who has contributed to the numerous packages included.

attachment.php

Thank you to rendeiro2005 who pointed out a few other "kitchen" alternatives available, which will help with development and may be better suited to your individual needs and requirements.

MoDaCo Online Kitchen

dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen

Goon droid Online Kitchen

sztupy Android Compiler VM

Video showing most of the steps taken in the creation of this virtual machine / virtual appliance

Torrent seeded -two peers - Demonoid public tracker:

http://goo.gl/w0yqg

Attachments

• xPerfect.inst2.jpg
    xPerfect.inst2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,203
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 15,817
  • xPerfect.torrent.zip
    88.1 KB · Views: 636
  • xPerfect.update.env.01.sh.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:

MrHassell

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne
innertech.com.au
64Bit Exclusive

Already the question has been asking about building this for 32bit platforms;

Can you some how post a 32 bit version as well

Froyo+ requires a 64bit environment for build. 32bit is not supported when building Android sources past 2.1 so although it is possible, it's not directly supported or possible without modifying lot's of lib's etc.. so it will be 64bit only as per the requirements for building AOSP Sources beyond Éclair. :)

If anyone has created or worked on fixing make to work with 32bit PM me and we can include this if you wish!

svtfmook

Aug 14, 2007

Froyo+ requires a 64bit environment for build. 32bit is not supported when building Android sources past 2.1 so although it is possible, it's not directly supported or possible without modifying lot's of lib's etc.. so it will be 64bit only as per the requirements for building AOSP Sources beyond Éclair. :)

If anyone has created or worked on fixing make to work with 32bit PM me and we can include this if you wish!
easy solution, if your cpu supports 64bit (which is hard to imagine that anyone would still be running a machine that does not support 64bit), set up a dual boot. normal 32bit OS on one end, this on the other.

xtrmshadow

Oct 26, 2010
Castellon , Spain
easy solution, if your cpu supports 64bit (which is hard to imagine that anyone would still be running a machine that does not support 64bit), set up a dual boot. normal 32bit OS on one end, this on the other.

99.9% of the CPU's of today have 64bit support,but lets not forget,to use 64bit you need at least 1.5Gb of RAM (Recommended 2+ or even 3+),
And maybe 45% of today's computers have 1.5+ Gb of RAM.
Most of us here have 4Gb+ thats for sure but there are people who dont so,thats gonna be a bit complicated.

Respect

PoTi_96

Aug 3, 2010
Wels
And maybe 45% of today's computers have 1.5+ Gb of RAM.
Most of us here have 4Gb+ thats for sure but there are people who dont so,thats gonna be a bit complicated.

Respect

Rlly? Woow
Yea i have also got 4Gb+ (8)
I think those 32bit ppl will change fast ^^
~~~~~~~
Gr8 work dude, this will be great!

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune

if i remember correctly VirtualBox/VMware support 64bit OS even if host OS is 32bit.. just that the processor should have 64bit support...

yup virtualbox supports it: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

for those who are not sure if they have 32-bit or 64-bit processor... atleast for windows there is a great tool: CPU-Z... just check for EM64T under supported 'Instructions'

jase81

Jul 2, 2010
that`s what i thought but...i mean, why this if we had kitchen?
what the advantage? pros/cons?
or the objective of these is to create/push source like any other app on ubuntu?

as far as i know you can only build android on linux or by VirtualBox/VMware , i'm just learning on how to set it all up so i'd ask MrHassell what the pros and cons are lol :D

Crowds

Jun 9, 2008
Azeitão
nivelcosmeticos.com
OnePlus 3
as far as i know you can only build android on linux or by VirtualBox/VMware , i'm just learning on how to set it all up so i'd ask MrHassell what the pros and cons are lol :D

i know that. that´s what i do...
the question remains. there`s already a kitchen, so...what`s the diference between them? act like linux (with repo?). that would be something...

marcoplo

Nov 4, 2010
can someone upload whole thing in torrent in piratebay or torrentz.eu :D:D:D

espacially staff like Sun Java 6 - Eclipse IDE - ADB GUI - latest Android SDK - Cyanogen 7

get linux form official website

please

will be faster and more fluent stream!

thank ;)

Reactions: MrHassell

MrHassell

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne
innertech.com.au
Ubuntu 64bit - Required for Android 2.2+

im already runnin ubantu dose that mean theres no need for virtual box yeh?

This is an appliance and requires a Virtualization provider. If you already have VMware installed to a 64bit edition of Linux then, no you don't need this but you can have it if you like all the same.

Open a Linux terminal and issue this command to see if your kernel is 64bit first;

Code:
uname -a

This will return either i386 or i686. The 386 flag is 32bit, next check the CPU.

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Here you are looking for the 'ln' flags which support 64bit. That taken care of in *nix the next step is to install VirtualBox - latest 4.04 version or upgrade.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0

Last edited:

MrHassell

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne
innertech.com.au
SEED!

actually both i386 & i686 are 32-bit...

if u get x86_64 then it is 64-bit...

{please correct me if i am wrong}

Thanks for the pickup Doom :) - good thing about VirtualBox is even if your host O/S is 32bit - you can run 64bit appliances like this..

PLEASE SEED! Nobody is going to get anything with 20 people just hit and run and leave 1 peers.

Not threatening or anything but guy's if you can't seed at least 100% of what you download, I'm pulling the torrent as I have other things to do with my hardware and network than share it with snatch and grab bandits.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    xPerfect provides a full Android development environment in the form of a virtual machine and is free for anyone to download and use as required for building and developing Android sources, kernels, drivers, diff patches or anything else.

Built using Virtual Box and Ubuntu 10.10 x64. Latest sources and builds for Froyo and beyond require this 64bit environment and as a result I've made available this as a virtual machine for the xda community or anyone interested in Android development to use as they wish :)

This is a work in progress and is in initial release 0.1. I'm uploading this as a public torrent due to the size being 8.6GB - TAR.GZ - I'd like to invite everyone (with adequate bandwidth) to share your thoughts, idea's and suggestions for inclusion or addition and in any way to improve or perhaps remove!

HOT FIX UPDATE 0.01
    xPerfect patch 0.01

fixes: sets udev filesystem - adb vendor id to sony ericsson ( 0fce )
    fixes: updated ARM environment variables.
    fixes: cleans apttitude and schedtool.
    fixes: recheck package dependancies.
    fixes: fixes libc build error in make.
    fixes: missing docs directory CM7 make
    fixes: returns all permissions to xperia
    fixes: updates Cyanogen - repo sync.
    Option to repo sync if the latest cyanogen sources are required.
    Include latest Google Apps for Gingerbread
    Option to fix /etc/hosts block adverts and spam - someonewhocares.org

This shell script is executed in a terminal within xPerfect. You may adapt this script to suit any Linux operating system, however it is specifically designed for the user account 'xperia' and is written with the currently distributed architecture of xPerfect without being modified.

Download xPerfect service release hotfix 0.01

Instructions: Download to xPerfect and unzip the shell script. Launch a terminal and issue the following commands;

1: Extract to ~/Documents (anywhere you like)
    xperia@xperia-devBox:~/Documents$ unzip xPerfect.update.env.01.sh.zip
    2: Make executable
    xperia@xperia-devBox:~/Documents$ chmod 755 xPerfect.update.env.01.sh
    3: Execute script as root
    xperia@xperia-devBox:~/Documents$ sudo ./xPerfect.update.env.01.sh

NOTICE: This targets the xPerfect Kitchen and Sony Ericsson devices.

THANKS Ubuntu Linux, Oracle / Sun Microsystems, Eclipse, Motorola, Sony Ericson,
    Android open source project (AOSP), QtADB, XDA Developer forums,
    Cyanogen Mod, Zdzihu, Jerpelea, Bin4ry, Goroh_Kun, marylandcookie
    ChangeLog Initial release
    NEWS Build andconfiguration complete. Provides a stable environment
    for android application and firmware (rom) development.
    INSTALL Latest Virtual Box - http://www.virtualbox.org/

EDIT: 23-03-2011
    Added myUbuntu as it is a sensational utility developed by Joseph Maillardet. myUbuntu can easily assist with tuning your installation, adding codecs, themes, fonts, and instantly providing a crisp interface better suited to programming and developers needs :)

INTERFACE UPDATE: http://www.perso.iut-nimes.fr/jmaillardet/myUbuntu/

About myUbuntu:
    "myUbuntu is a script of post-installation with who you can record text files that describe all the modification you want to apply to a Ubuntu distribution freshly installed. After the text files written, execute the script on all target system and select between the options you have created the interesting elements for each one. Since the 10.04 release, myUbuntu have been totally re-written in ruby."

Copyright and licensing - Apache Open source licence respective licences contained within image MUST remain intact.

BUGS Known issues and instructions here at the original thread

PROVIDES:

Ubuntu 10.10 x64
    Sun Java 6 JDK Hotspot JVM
    Android SDK r10 Linux
    Android NDK r5b Linux
    Qt ADB - Phone explorer
    Motoroloa - MotoDevStudio (eclipse ide)
    Environment variables exported
    Required libs & packages pre-installed and compiled

BACKGROUND:

Too much time spent messing with environments, rebuilding this and that, time and again..
    It became clear a virtual machine for compiling Android sources and building applications
    might be useful for anyone with the same motivations and interests. Unable to find a live-cd
    or 'kitchen' for cooking roms, I decided to build my own and release it to share with other
    developers and hope to find comments and suggestions for future improvments and to serve as
    a way to find the perfect development environment, ready to work with and save time that is
    better used creating methods, cutting code and flaming in forums (joke Mr Clown.. chill! :)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download and install Virtual Box, extract the package to a folder and import as desired.
    Due to the size of the disc image this is the essential files and environment only. Many of
    the 'add-ons' such as AVD devices, samples and other files have been excluded to maintain as
    small download size as possible. Easily add the required files back in by directly downloading
    or using the aptitude package manager: apt-get

1: Start Virtualbox
    2: Inside the Virtualbox Menu click: File > Import Appliance (Ctrl+I)
    3: Click the “Choose” button.
    4: Locate and select the OVF file from where you extracted the files.
    5: Click Open.
    6: Verify your xPerfect settings are correct.
    7: Make any changes to the device such as memory etc..
    8: Verify the disk size.
    9: Click Import

Disc space has been restricted to minimum for downloading. To increase disc size you can use
    the following command within Linux after importing the virtual appliance.

cd ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks
    VBoxManage clonehd xPerfect.vdi yourName.vdi

For Windows users running Virtual Box the same syntax would be done with the MS-DOS command

Start > Run > type CMD (enter)

cd c:\program files\

In the format or application syntax of;
    <application> <command> <source> <target>

Sun VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface
    (C) 2005-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    All rights reserved.

Usage:

VBoxManage clonehd <uuid>|<filename> <outputfile>
    [--format VDI|VMDK|VHD|RAW|<other>]
    [--variant Standard,Fixed,Split2G,Stream,ESX]
    [--type normal|writethrough|immutable]
    [--remember] [--existing]

This command duplicates the appliance and creates a new UUID for the appliance, removing a
    issue with id duplication and virtual drives sharing the same properties, already registered in Virtual Box.

When creating the new Virtual machine / appliance, allocate any desired disc space such as
    40GB - 60GB or any number you feel comfortable with, just ensure you have enough disc space!

VBox 4.0+ supports resizing of VDIs.
    This appliance was made with Virtual Box 3.1.6

VMWARE:

Anyone running VMware should download the VMware Open Virtualization Format (OVF) Tool.

http://www.vmware.com/downloads/download.do?downloadGroup=OVF-TOOL-1-0

WHY VIRTUAL BOX?

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 / AMD64 / Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise and
    free home use. It's a feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers and
    is the only professional solution freely available as Open Source Software under the terms
    of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

Thank you to everyone who made this possible and for any questions, credits, requests, suggestions or you just feel like saying thank's! contact me private message :)

Update: 100% complete and uploading to public trackers now. Thanks to Qt ADB for authority to include the phone browser, Cyanogen for latest Gingerbread branch and everyone who has contributed to the numerous packages included.

attachment.php

Thank you to rendeiro2005 who pointed out a few other "kitchen" alternatives available, which will help with development and may be better suited to your individual needs and requirements.

MoDaCo Online Kitchen

dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen

Goon droid Online Kitchen

sztupy Android Compiler VM

Video showing most of the steps taken in the creation of this virtual machine / virtual appliance

Torrent seeded -two peers - Demonoid public tracker:

password / additional steps

Have you installed it into virtualbox yet ? What's the password for xperia?

password = pass@word123

There is a README file inside the torrent. Once you have installed virtual box and unpacked the device, to get USB to pass through you will need to download the Oracle Virtual Box Extensions from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html

With the extnsions installed, attach your device and note the device name it will be something like SEMC HSUSB device xxxx

Next create a filter in the VM manager, click on xPerfect and chose settings > usb - enable USB controller > enable USB 2.0 and on the right hand menu there is a little usb cable with a green +, click this and add your SEMC HSUSB device.

There is another check required on your host machine, where you are running Virtual Box, to enable pass through USB and to view your Android inside the VM.

Virtual Box creates a users group for permissions and not always adds your user account into this group, you need to add the account to the 'vboxusers' group.

Find out if your current user account is in the vboxusers group with this command in Linux;

Code:
    grep vboxusers /etc/group

Code:
    sudo useradd -G vboxusers {your account user name}

example for the account named richard; sudo useradd -G vboxusers richard
    or
    Code:
    sudo usermod -aG vboxusers richard

There is also a detailed walk through of this over here
    Ive made a repack of this torrent...

Login/Password : xperia/xperia (with autologin)
    Use 2 Virtual Box disks (vdi) :
    - one for ubuntu (4GB extensible to 16GB)
    - one for android stuff (9GB extensible to 48GB)
    - removed swap to reduce release size, you can add a swap virtual disk... format it as swap with gparted, add swap in /etc/fstab and finally "swapon -a"
    - removed some useless apps (sound,chat) and kernels
    - added ssh server

Size : only 6.66GB :) (Public bt torrent, no registration needed)

http://epsylon3.free.fr/files/DevXperiaVBoxRepack.torrent

Code:
    root@xperia-devBox:~/bin# df
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1             16514472   3637952  12037732  24% /
    /dev/sdb1             49540912   9996904  37027480  22% /zfs
    can someone upload whole thing in torrent in piratebay or torrentz.eu :D:D:D

espacially staff like Sun Java 6 - Eclipse IDE - ADB GUI - latest Android SDK - Cyanogen 7

get linux form official website

please

will be faster and more fluent stream!

thank ;)