[Q] View the root system files on NST?

Search This thread

rdoherty47

Jul 15, 2014
I've rooted my NST using NookManager 0.5.0 and also installed the same version of NTGAppsAttack. I am extremely new to all of this.

Basically, before installing the AppsAttack (I think it was this install that triggered my problem), I was able to view the entire root directory of my Nook, (/system, etc) but now all I can view is /sdcard. Even when I remove the SD card, I still can't go up another level. How do I get back to be able to view all the root directories on my nook?

Thank you and sorry in advance if this is a stupid question - my searches proved fruitless :(

Edit: Also, while I'm on here (and this could be a related problem), when I plug my NST into my laptop via USB, I can't see the Nook. The NST is charging successfully, but I want to be able to see my NST's file structure.

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
If all you've done is root with NM and install the Google apps I don't know how you could have been able to see the entire root file structure when connected via USB (is that what you meant?).

The drivers installed when you connect your NST to your computer don't provide for this kind of file view, only for storage, both internal and external (i.e., the two sdcards). You would typically have to install an app (like Root Browser or Root Explorer) in order to examine the system structure.

So.....?

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
I've rooted my NST using NookManager 0.5.0 and also installed the same version of NTGAppsAttack. I am extremely new to all of this.

Basically, before installing the AppsAttack (I think it was this install that triggered my problem), I was able to view the entire root directory of my Nook, (/system, etc) but now all I can view is /sdcard. Even when I remove the SD card, I still can't go up another level. How do I get back to be able to view all the root directories on my nook?

Thank you and sorry in advance if this is a stupid question - my searches proved fruitless :(

Edit: Also, while I'm on here (and this could be a related problem), when I plug my NST into my laptop via USB, I can't see the Nook. The NST is charging successfully, but I want to be able to see my NST's file structure.

Edit: Also, while I'm on here (and this could be a related problem), when I plug my NST into my laptop via USB, I can't see the Nook. The NST is charging successfully, but I want to be able to see my NST's file structure.[/QUOTE]

You don't mention how you're trying to access the root directory. If you're using ReLaunch that was installed with NookManager, to change the launchers behavior from the home screen click on the gear in the upper right corner, this enters you into the settings menu, click on advanced settings, general settings, make sure that the don't leave start directory item is unchecked, go back and under file manager settings check show hidden files and uncheck hide known extensions. Back out again and in the main advanced settings menu scroll down and click on the save settings and restart item. You should be able to view anything on internal and external storage. As for Windows , unfortunately without 3rd party software it will only display the first partition on any external device.
OB

Last edited:

rdoherty47

Jul 15, 2014
As for Windows , unfortunately without 3rd party software it will only display the first partition on any external device.

nmyshkin said:
If all you've done is root with NM and install the Google apps I don't know how you could have been able to see the entire root file structure when connected via USB (is that what you meant?).

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I can't view ANY file system, nothing, when I connect my Nook to my laptop (Windows).

As for viewing my root file system on the Nook, it is via ReLaunch and when I reset the settings I was able to view it.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
The Nook usually has two UMS (USB Mass Storage) volumes showing.
They will show up in Windows on the task bar as two drive letters (I: & J: or whatever).
Whether those drive letters have anything backing them is another question.

I disabled that junk on my Nooks a long time ago.
Some of the problems are that it restricts you to FAT volumes and delegating volumes is a bad idea anyway.

To "see" files you need a file explorer app or UMS or just use ADB.