Anyone switch from the Nexus 5 to the G3

Search This thread

dspcap

Sep 1, 2010
What stands out to you regarding the M8?
The build quality of the phone, how it feels in your hand, how smooth it is flowing through screens and apps, battery life, screen resolution, sound quality of the speakers and sound quality through my Bose noise canceling headphones. The only thing I preferred on the G3 was the camera.

Specs may say the G3 is better in more ways (including screen resolution), but using both for a while, the M8 just feels better overall. Now that being said, all the guys selling the phones in the Tmobile store owned M8's and all of them wanted to upgrade to the G3. :)

The only thing I miss about my N5 is Android L and google dialer. I put the google dialer on the M8, but it's just not the same.

LeoRex

Nov 30, 2012
Leominster MA
I'd have to say that the G3 solved my only real issues with the Nexus 5:

Battery - the 5's battery is just on the small side, and I used some custom kernel functions, like dt2w that didn't help matters. I've noticed a significant improvement with the much larger G3.

Camera... The nexus 5 takes good pics and video, but I always fought with how quickly and accurately it focused. I have quite a few shots that are useless and a number of blurry videos. The G3 is a focusing demon due to the laser autofocus... Its no joke. That alone makes the camera vastly superior.

Yes, the Nexus is smoother and more fluid, but the G3 isn't all that far off (at least mine isn't) and more than makes up for it with the other functions that it excels at.

I worried that I'd get a healthy dose of buyer's remorse after switching, but a month later, I have zero regrets and no desire to switch back... The G3 is an awesome device.

dspcap

Sep 1, 2010
I'd have to say that the G3 solved my only real issues with the Nexus 5:

Battery - the 5's battery is just on the small side, and I used some custom kernel functions, like dt2w that didn't help matters. I've noticed a significant improvement with the much larger G3.

Camera... The nexus 5 takes good pics and video, but I always fought with how quickly and accurately it focused. I have quite a few shots that are useless and a number of blurry videos. The G3 is a focusing demon due to the laser autofocus... Its no joke. That alone makes the camera vastly superior.

Yes, the Nexus is smoother and more fluid, but the G3 isn't all that far off (at least mine isn't) and more than makes up for it with the other functions that it excels at.

I worried that I'd get a healthy dose of buyer's remorse after switching, but a month later, I have zero regrets and no desire to switch back... The G3 is an awesome device.
I thought the N5's camera was horrible, never took a decent picture :)

dspcap

Sep 1, 2010
That was one of those falsehoods that became true because with enough people said it. It took plenty of nice shots... The autofocus just drove me nuts at times. Not always, just enough to be a pain.
Um no, I personally always felt it took bad pictures. I went to Alaska, Disney, and many other amazing places....the pictures it took were horrible.

I don't appreciate what you are insinuating.

Mike_77

Nov 26, 2010
That was one of those falsehoods that became true because with enough people said it. It took plenty of nice shots... The autofocus just drove me nuts at times. Not always, just enough to be a pain.

Actually the camera is the main factor that made me upgrade from the Nexus 5 to a G3. I was tired of depositing checks with my banking app just to have the deposit declined due to image quality. My wife's S4 always worked, and my G3 has worked every time I've tried it.. to me it's just proof the N5 camera is not up to standards.

LeoRex

Nov 30, 2012
Leominster MA
Um no, I personally always felt it took bad pictures. I went to Alaska, Disney, and many other amazing places....the pictures it took were horrible.

I don't appreciate what you are insinuating.
So we disagree, that's fine. But I'm not alone.. There are many people that get quality shots. It's not the best camera in the world and it has its share of issues. But it is just not a bad as it's made out to be. What exactly was I insinuating?

Reactions: qbanlinxx

dspcap

Sep 1, 2010
Actually the camera is the main factor that made me upgrade from the Nexus 5 to a G3. I was tired of depositing checks with my banking app just to have the deposit declined due to image quality. My wife's S4 always worked, and my G3 has worked every time I've tried it.. to me it's just proof the N5 camera is not up to standards.
That is so funny, I had to use my wife's iPhone to take pictures of our checks because of the same issue with the N5. I started a thread on this and found dozens of people with the same issue.

dspcap

Sep 1, 2010
So we disagree, that's fine. But I'm not alone.. There are many people that get quality shots. It's not the best camera in the world and it has its share of issues. But it is just not a bad as it's made out to be. What exactly was I insinuating?
You are basically saying that I "believed" that the camera was bad because enough people were saying it. That I couldn't make up my own mind and I was just saying what everyone else was. Very insulting sir.

Your statement: "That was one of those falsehoods that became true because with enough people said it. It took plenty of nice shots."

LeoRex

Nov 30, 2012
Leominster MA
You are basically saying that I "believed" that the camera was bad because enough people were saying it.

I wasn't referring to you.

I was saying that a lot of people say the Nexus 5's camera was bad solely because they read that it was bad and just perpetuate it without ever picking the phone up.

You had a bad experience, but just because you had one doesn't mean others have the same issues. Like I said, when I didn't have to deal with focusing problems (which wasn't all the time), I got some really nice shots. So I'll certainly disagree that it has a bad camera, it just has done issues keeping it from being a very good one.

That being said, the G3's camera is substantially better and high on my list of reasons why I'm glad I switched.

justibasa

Feb 6, 2011
Elk Ridge, UT
"What kind of issues were you having? Besides the speaker, I got lucky to not have any issues or complaint."

The speaker and microphone stopped working on both n5's that I had. Got tired of it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

gotzaDroid

Sep 13, 2012
Having both the N5 and G3,anyone who says that the G3 is just as fast and smooth as the N5,doesn't have the slightest idea what there talking about. I'm not talking about benchmarks, I'm talking about side by side real world testing.....

You're right, stock for stock. But once I rooted my G3, removed all the carrierIQ, LG logging stuff and swapped kernels, this is just as fast if not faster than my N5 running CM11 and elementalX kernel in my other hand.

qbanlinxx

Mar 30, 2011
Orlando
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
You're right, stock for stock. But once I rooted my G3, removed all the carrierIQ, LG logging stuff and swapped kernels, this is just as fast if not faster than my N5 running CM11 and elementalX kernel in my other hand.

I've done all the same to my G3,running Sky dragon rom, and my n5 running Rastakat with Elementalx, underclocked to 1.7 is smoother in every aspect. My g3 even lags in Gsam when I'm checking it for wake locks..

gotzaDroid

Sep 13, 2012
I've done all the same to my G3,running Sky dragon rom, and my n5 running Rastakat with Elementalx, underclocked to 1.7 is smoother in every aspect. My g3 even lags in Gsam when I'm checking it for wake locks..

Don't know what to tell ya then, either I have a better working G3 than you or a worse operating N5 than you. ?

I have no lag anywhere on this phone, everything is fast and smooth. That's not to say I had lag on the N5, well, the notification pull down was laggy, but that may have been the themed settings.

Either way, I am much more happy with this G3 than my N5 (it'll still stick around as a backup).

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
GSAM caused all sorts of issues on my G3. Kill it.

Sent from my amazing LGG3!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think a lot of us have. This is my first non-Nexus device in a long time and I have absolutely no regrets about the switch. As far as the feel of the phone, it really feels like a bigger & more high end version of the Nexus 5 to me. I'm actually enjoying the features in the LG ROM on this phone as well. Some de-bloating was required but after that this phone is just as fast as my Nexus 5 was. And the camera... there really just is no comparison between the two phones in terms of the camera. It's an enormous improvement. The knock on/off features are really cool as well.

If you like your Nexus 5 but want a bigger screen, significantly better camera, and better battery life then you will absolutely love this phone. I promise.
    I think a lot of us have. This is my first non-Nexus device in a long time and I have absolutely no regrets about the switch. As far as the feel of the phone, it really feels like a bigger & more high end version of the Nexus 5 to me. I'm actually enjoying the features in the LG ROM on this phone as well. Some de-bloating was required but after that this phone is just as fast as my Nexus 5 was. And the camera... there really just is no comparison between the two phones in terms of the camera. It's an enormous improvement. The knock on/off features are really cool as well.

If you like your Nexus 5 but want a bigger screen, significantly better camera, and better battery life then you will absolutely love this phone. I promise.

I second that, I'm finding very little reason to switch to another ROM although I might want to try another kernel when those do come out.

The built in apps like the LG keyboard, LG quickmemo and LG health are also pretty decent.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    I went from the N4, to the G2, to the G3.
    I am less and less into customization, but I do like flashing ROMs. I am enjoying Android L right now, but I figure in a few months, that will be available for the G3 via ROM or rolled out. Are you thinking there won't be much development for this phone?

If i had to place a bet, i don't think development is going to be that great on this device, usually a device has a strong buzz even before its released about what developers are upgrading to it and so on. I also don't think there was strong development on the G2, and i'm sure its not helping that the G3 is coming on the heels of the M8 and S5 which a lot of the those developers probably upgraded from the M7 and S4. Also with android L to play with on the N5 I don't like the chances of having various Roms on the G3, you might want to stick with the N5 for a while.
    I went from N5 to G3 two weeks ago.

Biggest gain for me: T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling
    Biggest gripe: lack of Qi charging out of the box

Considering readily available Qi charging backs are just around the corner, and T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling is still a pipe dream on the N5, I'm happy with the choice.