Why did you choose the compact over the Z1 ?

Search This thread

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Trying to see what factors influenced people here to get a 4.3" screen over a 5".

Portability is a good reason but how do you reconcile that with decreased readability of a smaller screen.

The trend was to move from iphone size screen over to 5 inchers. 5 inches seems optimum. Anything bigger and it becomes unwieldy. Now it seems we're going in the opposite direction.

So given a choice over the Z1 or compact. Why would you go with the compact ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Option58

toxic_garden

Trying to see what factors influenced people here to get a 4.3" screen over a 5".

Portability is a good reason but how do you reconcile that with decreased readability of a smaller screen.
i am really, really glad someone took the step to release a 4,3"-phone with descent hardware-specs. I just want to reach all corners of the screen while holding it in one hand. Can't do this with 5" or larger. Also, i don't need 5" for any reason on my mobile. I got a Nexus 7 for watching movies, playing HiRes-Games and all the other stuff, a large screen is good for. So 4,3" on the mobile is perfect for me because it fits into the pocket and i can use it one-handed.

Reactions: haukew and L.R.G.

_katho_

Jan 24, 2010

The trend was to move from iphone size screen over to 5 inchers. 5 inches seems optimum. Anything bigger and it unwieldy. Now it seems we're going in the opposite direction.

Size.
And as a bonus a better IPS-display.

Zoidy

Jan 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I moved from a Galaxy S3 which I'd had for 2 years. My main worry about getting the Z1c was the smaller screen. And after having the Z1c for a couple of days I'm getting used to it.

I do find the keyboard letters smaller but. I do love this phone. It's far speedier than the S3 and I find the text shaper.

I'm not missing the 4.8" S3 at all.

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: peze2415

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
i am really, really glad someone took the step to release a 4,3"-phone with descent hardware-specs. I just want to reach all corners of the screen while holding it in one hand. Can't do this with 5" or larger.
Underlined bit is a major reason i've heard people mention for not going beyond 5 inchers.

Time was you could not make a screen that big and be able to use it one handed. Things have changed. many people think the Z1 is very close to the size of the note 3 yet only offers a 5 inch screen.

Also, i don't need 5" for any reason on my mobile. I got a Nexus 7 for watching movies, playing HiRes-Games and all the other stuff, a large screen is good for. So 4,3" on the mobile is perfect for me because it fits into the pocket and i can use it one-handed.
What about web browsing though ? granted reading on a 5 incher isn't all that great either. but does going smaller make it worse.

Not talking about ppi or anything just wondering whether the reduced screen estate gets in the way. If you don't do much browsing then its moot. But part of owning a smartphone is being able to do just that. To browse on the move.

Last edited:

toxic_garden

What about web browsing though ? granted reading on a 5 incher isn't all that great either. but does going smaller make it worse.

Not talking about ppi or anything just wondering whether the reduced screen estate gets in the way. If you don't do much browsing then its moot. But part of owning a smartphone is being able to do just that. To browse on the move.
i rarely use the browser. For most things (Wikipedia, Facebook, Amazon, Imgur, xda, etc.) i use the appropriate app. And reading within those apps doesn't make a difference between 4.3" and 5" for me. So: no, i don't browse a lot (by meaning "browsing" in the classical way using the browser), but gather information using the mobile apps. Which works just perfect for me. Especially as i changed the dpi to 280, so there's a bit more room for content. ;)

Reactions: peze2415

styxter

Feb 20, 2013
If i had a chance to choose from z1 to z1c ill get z1c. Battery and screen size. Ratio of battery to screen size is almost perfect. I hope thwy should keep this ratio.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Size. 5"+ is a mini tablet imo and impractical for one handed operation, and for some reason manufacturers seem to have thought this far that everyone wants a big screen which for me just isn't the case, where as the Z1 Compact is perfect for a "mobile" Phone.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Steve_God

May 27, 2009
Manchester
Specs and Size for me.

I've had the HTC One X now for nearly 2 years, and coming close to upgrade time so had been looking around anyway, however, started a new job five months ago and was given an iPhone 5 as my works phone.

Both on the same network, so has been a really good test for me to compare the two OS's back to back. And while the iPhone has loads of really nice features, there are so many things it lacks (and also performs really poorly on, like dealing with anything in a poor signal area), which has made me really prefer Android.

The only one thing that I really like about the iPhone 5 compared to my HTC, is the size... it's made it feel massive, and now I've used both side by side, I really notice how much nicer a smaller phone is to use day to day.

Went to look at all the other 'Mini' phones, and they're all the same spec as my current HTC One X, which considering it's nearly 2 years old, seemed pointless to pay for a 'new' phone, when it's no better than my existing one, only smaller.
Then the Compact was announced, with same high-end specs as all the other flagship phones, and fit the bill perfectly! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: peze2415 and L.R.G.

Telaran

Apr 29, 2012
Olten
www.telaran.org
I bought a Z1c after a "Hands-On" in a shop and I had the same reasons as many others: Size and Spec

Size:
Some people state that the size of an IPhone 4s is perfect, some other prefer a 5". So it's more a point of view and taste.
I've had many "hands-on" with different devices and for my taste/usage everything above 4.6" would be too much.
If possible I still like to use my thumb for scrolling, etc and with Z1c I can reach almost every corner of the screen.

Specs:
I guess I don't have to go in detail? It's just perfect and is a great successor of my Xperia S.

Milltach

Dec 3, 2011
Size. and HQ Sony Camera
So thats what I thought...but after I saw how bad the cam is, probably will get rid of this piece of crap.

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
The only one thing that I really like about the iPhone 5 compared to my HTC, is the size... it's made it feel massive, and now I've used both side by side, I really notice how much nicer a smaller phone is to use day to day.
Yeah, that's a very improtant reason. A phone ought to be portable if it isn't then you're compromising for something else.

I take it you're not much of a web browser either ?

Went to look at all the other 'Mini' phones, and they're all the same spec as my current HTC One X, which considering it's nearly 2 years old, seemed pointless to pay for a 'new' phone, when it's no better than my existing one, only smaller.
Then the Compact was announced, with same high-end specs as all the other flagship phones, and fit the bill perfectly! :)
Sony is teaching everybody else how to make a compact instead of some crippled smaller unit.

Last edited:

toxic_garden

Size. and HQ Sony Camera
So thats what I thought...but after I saw how bad the cam is, probably will get rid of this piece of crap.
wow. That's what i call a rash decision. :D
Perhaps you might wanna take a thought about waiting for the next 2 or 3 ROM-Updates from Sony before "getting rid of this piece of crap"? Time tells us that newly released flagships might get better with new FW-Versions....

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
If i had a chance to choose from z1 to z1c ill get z1c. Battery and screen size. Ratio of battery to screen size is almost perfect. I hope thwy should keep this ratio.
Power to weight ratio.

Z1c endurance is 65 h, whereas the Z1 is 53h. The browsing doubled in time compared to the Z1.

Let's see how real world screen on times compare but i expect they will be better based on gsm arena's benchmarks.

Milltach

Dec 3, 2011
Perhaps you might wanna take a thought about waiting for the next 2 or 3 ROM-Updates from Sony before "getting rid of this piece of crap"?
If it´s really a software issue. I mean my cam is making yellow pictures - this cannot be a random software issue. I have to use my nexus 4 to make photos, that´s crazy, why do I have this new phone?
But for 500€ it´s not ok that sony is selling untested smartphones :eek:

toxic_garden

If it´s really a software issue. I mean my cam is making yellow pictures - this cannot be a random software issue. I have to use my nexus 4 to make photos, that´s crazy, why do I have this new phone?
But for 500€ it´s not ok that sony is selling untested smartphones :eek:
i remember pictures being pretty crappy on my HTC One last year. Some firmware-updates really improved quality a lot. So don't underestimate the mighty power of good firmwares. ;)

Steve_God

May 27, 2009
Manchester
I take it you're not much of a web browser either ?.
I browse the web a lot on my mobile when I'm on the go for quick bits of info, and the size difference between the HTC One X, and the iPhone didn't make a great deal of difference, as you still need to zoom in on most non-mobile optimised pages either way.

Although if I know I'm going to be browsing for a long period of time (20+ mins) I'll always jump on a PC as it's much easier.

Last edited:

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
The reason I went for the compact if the normal was the IPS screen. Much better viewing angles and improved design.

I'm not bothered about screen size at all. But I don't spend all day looking at my phone to be honest. Better in the pocket that a big screen phone also

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i am really, really glad someone took the step to release a 4,3"-phone with descent hardware-specs. I just want to reach all corners of the screen while holding it in one hand. Can't do this with 5" or larger. Also, i don't need 5" for any reason on my mobile. I got a Nexus 7 for watching movies, playing HiRes-Games and all the other stuff, a large screen is good for. So 4,3" on the mobile is perfect for me because it fits into the pocket and i can use it one-handed.
    I'd say this is my highest quality device yet. I have had a lot of flagship devices and a few oddballs in between. Aside from the iPhone, which I feel is on the same level, I have never been so happy with the look and feel of a device as I am the z1c. This is all my personal opinion.

Specs and Size for me.

I've had the HTC One X now for nearly 2 years, and coming close to upgrade time so had been looking around anyway, however, started a new job five months ago and was given an iPhone 5 as my works phone.

Both on the same network, so has been a really good test for me to compare the two OS's back to back. And while the iPhone has loads of really nice features, there are so many things it lacks (and also performs really poorly on, like dealing with anything in a poor signal area), which has made me really prefer Android.

Why did you sell the g2 ?

I can see the exclusive factor the Z1c holds for you but what else was enough to part with the g2 & n4 (which is older now).

I like the water resistant feature. I was always hiding all my devices from my 1 year old son. I actually never use my devices in the same room. I was allowed freetime by my wife to play with my things. Haha. With the z1c or any of the z series I do not have to fear drool and spit and sneezes and bottles thrown at me and my devices. It rains and snows a lot in iowa, USA and Gothenburg, Sweden so I can use it outside without fear of rain or drops in the snow. The clothes styling in Sweden is a bit different than I am used to. I can only find form fitting pants in my size. I have too much junk in my trunk. So pulling a g2 out of my pocket front or rear was a chore. Any movement made the g2 creak and groan. I was starting to develop joint pain in my left hand trying to grip such a large device. When I am laying on my back it was hard to grip the device for long periods of time. The g2 was awesome. But in the long term it was a cumbersome item.

The trend was to move from iphone size screen over to 5 inchers. 5 inches seems optimum. Anything bigger and it becomes unwieldy. Now it seems we're going in the opposite direction.