[Q] Autoroot attempt failure - phone rebooting

Search This thread

cjhudson101

Aug 25, 2010
Hello all,

Yesterday I spent some time attempting to root my EVO using autoroot.

Halfway through the process the script timed out (cmd window dissapeared) and my phone was left with a red exclamation point. After a few attempts to pick back up where the process left off (running autoroot again) the phone was unable to be seen by USB. At this point I decided to reinstall from the RUU and started over.

When the RUU was finished the phone came up just fine like a brand new EVO, but now the phone will reboot after being up for about 1 minute after sense finishes loading. The phone cannot be seen by USB with charge only and debugging enabled. The phone will charge, but that's about it. No icons on the notification bar for charge only or USB debug.

I've tried reinstalling from zip and exe RUU multiple times, but no change. Phone keeps rebooting 1 minute after everything loads up.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel like something is not getting cleared by the RUU, but I have no idea what to do at this point. Without the ability to use adb I can't figure out a way to make any progress.

Thanks!

--Chris

k2buckley

Sep 24, 2010
Hello all,

Halfway through the process the script timed out (cmd window dissapeared) and my phone was left with a red exclamation point. After a few attempts to pick back up where the process left off (running autoroot again) the phone was unable to be seen by USB. At this point I decided to reinstall from the RUU and started over.

When the RUU was finished the phone came up just fine like a brand new EVO, but now the phone will reboot after being up for about 1 minute after sense finishes loading. The phone cannot be seen by USB with charge only and debugging enabled. The phone will charge, but that's about it. No icons on the notification bar for charge only or USB debug.

I've tried reinstalling from zip and exe RUU multiple times, but no change. Phone keeps rebooting 1 minute after everything loads up.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel like something is not getting cleared by the RUU, but I have no idea what to do at this point. Without the ability to use adb I can't figure out a way to make any progress.

Thanks!

--Chris

So this is happening after completely restoring with RUU and also with a PC36IMG? Just reboots, and usb isn't working? Have you tried different RUU's or a different PC36IMG, just to be sure? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=884060&highlight=hboot-0.97+ruu. Maybe you could try removing and reinstalling your sd card? I believe I've seen before where something being corrupted on the sd card could cause reboots, or issues installing an RUU or PC36IMG. Is your bootloader currently showing ship S on or ship S off? (just in case you need to take it to sprint, you want to be s off) I don't believe I've ever seen a similar situation, where it reboots consistenly after a minute of running right after running an RUU or PC36IMG, so I'm not sure on what the actual problem is or how you'd go about fixing it. Thats what PC36IMG or RUU are for, last resort to save your behind, but that is failing on you...:eek:

Reactions: cjhudson101

cjhudson101

Aug 25, 2010
The md5 for the RUU exe in the link you provided does not match the MD5 for the RUU exe I was using. They are named with the same versions...

I will download the 3.70 RUU exe you linked to and then post with the results. I'm going to attempt the RUU with no SD card inserted to verify that it's not related to my issue.

Thanks for your response!

Last edited:

k2buckley

Sep 24, 2010
The md5 for the RUU exe in the link you provided does not match the MD5 for the RUU exe I was using. They are named with the same versions...

I will download the 3.70 RUU exe you linked to and then post with the results. I'm going to attempt the RUU with no SD card inserted to verify that it's not related to my issue.

Thanks for your response!

You're welcome, I just hope that you're able to resolve the situation. That is kind of an odd one. Hope the new RUU works for you.

cjhudson101

Aug 25, 2010
Booted into recovery.

Ran the RUU exe.

Installation complete.

Green circle with evo (updating).

Reboots a couple times.

Evo white screen.

4G boot animation.

Phone starts up.

White HTC screen...

Waiting...

Skipping google activation for now...

Another white HTC screen.

Sense loading spinny circle...

Lock up and reboot.

White Evo screen again...

It'll keep doing this, but it does remember where you were when it restarts each time...

Anyone else got something for me?

I think it's going back to sprint tomorrow. I have the optional insurance on this phone...

--Chris

k2buckley

Sep 24, 2010
Booted into recovery.

Ran the RUU exe.

Installation complete.

Green circle with evo (updating).

Reboots a couple times.

Evo white screen.

4G boot animation.

Phone starts up.

White HTC screen...

Waiting...

Skipping google activation for now...

Another white HTC screen.

Sense loading spinny circle...

Lock up and reboot.

White Evo screen again...

It'll keep doing this, but it does remember where you were when it restarts each time...

Anyone else got something for me?

I think it's going back to sprint tomorrow. I have the optional insurance on this phone...

--Chris

Damn. Yea, I think I would take it to sprint. Are you s-on now, after running the RUU's? Hopefully someone else has some more info for you, but I think you'll be needing to make a visit to Sprint. Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

Thanks!

--Chris

So this is happening after completely restoring with RUU and also with a PC36IMG? Just reboots, and usb isn't working? Have you tried different RUU's or a different PC36IMG, just to be sure? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=884060&highlight=hboot-0.97+ruu. Maybe you could try removing and reinstalling your sd card? I believe I've seen before where something being corrupted on the sd card could cause reboots, or issues installing an RUU or PC36IMG. Is your bootloader currently showing ship S on or ship S off? (just in case you need to take it to sprint, you want to be s off) I don't believe I've ever seen a similar situation, where it reboots consistenly after a minute of running right after running an RUU or PC36IMG, so I'm not sure on what the actual problem is or how you'd go about fixing it. Thats what PC36IMG or RUU are for, last resort to save your behind, but that is failing on you...:eek: