FIX and INVESTIGATION: Android OS (battery drain) problem on Gingerbread

Search This thread

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
CASE CLOSED!!! Please read bottom part or flash stock GB 2.3.4!

I have posted this already on another thread (almost word for word) but I just really want you guys know and not panic about this problem and avoid going through difficult fixes like deleting system apps, recalibrating battery or even resetting your phone.

Since JVK was released, many observed that Android OS sometimes get hungry and devours battery. For some reason it is triggered to go berserk. Others say that the main culprit is the Auto update app. But other apps like Google Maps, Latitude and even just in a place where there is very low network signal or Wifi reception could also trigger this problem.

Now, I have a very simple solution: Turn off device, remove battery for a minute, put it back then turn it ON. Yes it is just that simple, REBOOT YOUR DEVICE.

Yeah after you turn on your device Android OS is still on the top of the list with high percentage but I believe it is just as it is because it previously consumed a lot of battery. All you have to do is observe again for an hour if your battery is dropping again, look into the graph and see if it is still steeping to the bottom. If it is dropping like Mt Everest, do the procedure above again.

If not, you will observe that after a couple of hours Android OS's percentage is getting low. Problem is fixed, (temporarily though).

Why go through deleting apps, recalibrate battery etc when you could just turn off your device for a minute?

I have experienced it a lot of times already (one of the first users who upgraded to JVK) but it doesn't bother me anymore. Turning off then on your device is very simple ain't it?

I highly advise that you do not touch anything on the sensitive part of your phone as there is no known single root of this problem. Just like I told you, many situations or apps could trigger Android OS to go berserk. Until there is no definite solution to this problem, I suggest you do the above procedure and save yourself from going through the pain of removing system apps, battery calibration or even hard reset.

By the way my battery usually lasts 3-4 days unless I made Android OS angry again. :D

INVESTIGATION

INVESTIGATION CLOSED!!! The culprit is caught. But the fix is not so simple. Only Samsung and genius devs (apparently the fix requires closed source modification) could fix this. If the problem occurs on your device, just do the temporary fix above. Please do not try to mess with your device for now.It is now fixed in XXJVP 2.3.4!

Click HERE and read the bottom part for more details.
All this is due to Tatsuya who pointed us to the right direction. A big thanks to him for helping us in this investigation. CASE CLOSED
:)

Ok thanks for the credits. ;)
This previous link I gave explains how you can use watchdog to alert you when this bug triggers, so you know when to reboot your phone to stop this leakage (if you really want to stay on gingerbread until a fix is made by Samsung).

Guys if you want to help out please please please dial this *#*#4636#*#* and check "Usage Statistics" and let us know the top 3 items on the list! (highly suggested by {Angel}).

Below are some of the possible culprits currently pointed out by some users (I will update the list based from your feedback):
1. Software Update service
2. Google Maps
3. Latitude
4. Low network signal
5. Very low WIFI reception
6. Auto updates in Market

If this helps, a simple thanks is enough :)

Last edited:

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
This is a post coming from Angel:

Those of you with high drain, you can also check battery history through *#*#4636#*#* and see what you have under other usage 'running' and see if your phone as not been sleeping lately. I get this occasionaly with froyo and I suspect many people do also. A reboot fixes it for me, after that my battery usage is superb, but it's annoying as hell.

And this is my post somewhere:

Yes just like I said in the first post, this is just a temporary fix. But I think users should just do this rather than touch anything on their phone unless they really know the source of the problem.

That is why I suggested that they report what could be the possible triggers, like apps or situations, that make Android OS to awake and gobble up the battery. If we could just pinpoint those triggers maybe we can now figure out the root of the problem. Your fix of removing a system app, the auto update app, is not even the single source of the problem. We just do not know if that app is an essential app or not. Sooner or later you will have that problem again.

I am not saying we should just sit and wait. All I am saying is if you are a plain user and you do not know the exact root of the problem, then just do what I suggested. But if you are a dev and is exploring the root of the problem, then do as you like and we will be most thankful if you find out the answer.

People are mislead about what works and what is not. I just want to help. ;)

Last edited:

luci.pacurar

Nov 11, 2010
Timisoara
Rebooting works, and it seems to be working until you start some apps again. I have the same apps installed as I had on JPY, but JVB drains my battery dead in half a day.

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
Rebooting works, and it seems to be working until you start some apps again. I have the same apps installed as I had on JPY, but JVB drains my battery dead in half a day.

Could you pinpoint some apps? I will update the OP to keep track of possible culprits so that others will avoid triggering this problem. Thanks!

vimvq1987

Mar 2, 2011
I once saw that the battery drain from 95% to 9% after one night, and the android os used most of it. I rebooted my phone, and the problem has gone away, since. Happy with Gingerbread!

Last edited:

luci.pacurar

Nov 11, 2010
Timisoara
Active Widgets: WeatherBug Elite, 3G Watchdog, BatStat and Calendar.
Apps: All from above plus Twitter, Titanium Backup, Facebook, Twitter, Tapatalk, Camera360 Ultimate, Root Explorer, Foursquare.

Mostly I use the Twitter client and the browser. Location services are disabled.

Reactions: jbdroid

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
It is hard to figure out from the above apps or which is the most probable suspect. Just incase the problem recurs on your phone, dial this: *#*#4636#*#*, Go to Usage statistics and Battery Information and please report back (include also information on the Battery Use in Settings).

I hope we can help others avoid having this problem until there is a fixed solution.

Thanks!

optima2004

Feb 24, 2009
Did what you suggested and pulled the battery at 30% waited 5 minutes and put it back in.... 1hr later it was at 35% (WTF!) and 30min later it was at 38% (WTF!)

im assuming its recalibrating?

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
Not necessarily. Maybe the battery meter is anticipating the fast consumption rate of Android OS that is why when it got fixed, the meter is able to readjust the readings based from the current consumption rate of your phone. Good to know it helped :)

Triton1986

Sep 22, 2008
Maybe use the 'forbidden' task killer? Works for me... Maybe im imagening it but works.

Btw my battery goes quickly down after getting below 25%. My battery not calibrated? Should i.calibrate it? I have this program to do it but am afraid that calibration goes wrong. (example what if my battery is 95% and will calibrate to 100. What if.i charge my battery higher than this.. Will it show 104%? Or will android stop working for it cannot be displayed in the notificationbar.

Using cm7.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
You do not have to recalibrate. Cm7 has a known issue about battery. I think you cannot charge past 94 or 95 percent and battery usage is a bit terrible. Please refer to cm7 thread for possible fixes, (the last time I checked their thread, they say it is probably kernel related).

nkotin44

Feb 26, 2011
evreux
Hi,
About battery drain in gb, once fixed the wifi sleep policy issue ( by setting it to "never") u shouldn't have batt drain, but i've installed green power ( juice defender do the work too i think) to get some wifi management possibility back and it improuved my batt life.
But never the less, my battery won't last more than one day of hard usage ( being hanged on xda all day long, for instance ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
Yes just like I said in the first post, this is just a temporary fix. But I think users should just do this rather than touch anything on their phone unless they really know the source of the problem.

That is why I suggested that they report what could be the possible triggers, like apps or situations, that make Android OS to awake and gobble up the battery. If we could just pinpoint those triggers maybe we can now figure out the root of the problem. Your fix of removing a system app, the auto update app, is not even the single source of the problem. We just do not know if that app is an essential app or not. Sooner or later you will have that problem again.

I am not saying we should just sit and wait. All I am saying is if you are a plain user and you do not know the exact root of the problem, then just do what I suggested. But if you are a dev and is exploring the root of the problem, then do as you like and we will be most thankful if you find out the answer.

People are mislead about what works and what is not. I just want to help ;)

Reactions: duongla

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
Guys, on Gingerbread I've had battery drain two times:

1. Had about 14% drain in 3 hours all of a sudden, without doing anything at all. Just started going down for some reason.

2. This morning, saw about 40% drain in 7 hours..

And, both time I solved it by Clearing Memory from the Task Manager.. Went back to normal 2-3% drain per 6-7 hours after that..

So this might also be a solution. Go to Task Manager, RAM tab, and Clear Memory..

shayp

Feb 4, 2011
i'm on ginger also and my battery acts weird. 2 days ago i charged my phone over night while it was closed. the battery holds for 15 hours with massive use.
last night i did it again, but today it went from 98% to 80% in about an hour !
this is really weird.

Last edited:

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
Guys, on Gingerbread I've had battery drain two times:

1. Had about 14% drain in 3 hours all of a sudden, without doing anything at all. Just started going down for some reason.

2. This morning, saw about 40% drain in 7 hours..

And, both time I solved it by Clearing Memory from the Task Manager.. Went back to normal 2-3% drain per 6-7 hours after that..

So this might also be a solution. Go to Task Manager, RAM tab, and Clear Memory..

Did you manage to check first what is running on your device by looking into Battery Usage settings? I think you have a case of rogue application running in the background.

If you have not rebooted yet could you please attach a screenshot of the battery usage list and graph? In that way we might possibly identify the app running prior to the clearing of memory. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CASE CLOSED!!! Please read bottom part or flash stock GB 2.3.4!

I have posted this already on another thread (almost word for word) but I just really want you guys know and not panic about this problem and avoid going through difficult fixes like deleting system apps, recalibrating battery or even resetting your phone.

Since JVK was released, many observed that Android OS sometimes get hungry and devours battery. For some reason it is triggered to go berserk. Others say that the main culprit is the Auto update app. But other apps like Google Maps, Latitude and even just in a place where there is very low network signal or Wifi reception could also trigger this problem.

Now, I have a very simple solution: Turn off device, remove battery for a minute, put it back then turn it ON. Yes it is just that simple, REBOOT YOUR DEVICE.

Yeah after you turn on your device Android OS is still on the top of the list with high percentage but I believe it is just as it is because it previously consumed a lot of battery. All you have to do is observe again for an hour if your battery is dropping again, look into the graph and see if it is still steeping to the bottom. If it is dropping like Mt Everest, do the procedure above again.

If not, you will observe that after a couple of hours Android OS's percentage is getting low. Problem is fixed, (temporarily though).

Why go through deleting apps, recalibrate battery etc when you could just turn off your device for a minute?

I have experienced it a lot of times already (one of the first users who upgraded to JVK) but it doesn't bother me anymore. Turning off then on your device is very simple ain't it?

I highly advise that you do not touch anything on the sensitive part of your phone as there is no known single root of this problem. Just like I told you, many situations or apps could trigger Android OS to go berserk. Until there is no definite solution to this problem, I suggest you do the above procedure and save yourself from going through the pain of removing system apps, battery calibration or even hard reset.

By the way my battery usually lasts 3-4 days unless I made Android OS angry again. :D

INVESTIGATION

INVESTIGATION CLOSED!!! The culprit is caught. But the fix is not so simple. Only Samsung and genius devs (apparently the fix requires closed source modification) could fix this. If the problem occurs on your device, just do the temporary fix above. Please do not try to mess with your device for now.It is now fixed in XXJVP 2.3.4!

Click HERE and read the bottom part for more details.
    All this is due to Tatsuya who pointed us to the right direction. A big thanks to him for helping us in this investigation. CASE CLOSED
    :)

Ok thanks for the credits. ;)
    This previous link I gave explains how you can use watchdog to alert you when this bug triggers, so you know when to reboot your phone to stop this leakage (if you really want to stay on gingerbread until a fix is made by Samsung).

Guys if you want to help out please please please dial this *#*#4636#*#* and check "Usage Statistics" and let us know the top 3 items on the list! (highly suggested by {Angel}).

Below are some of the possible culprits currently pointed out by some users (I will update the list based from your feedback):
    1. Software Update service
    2. Google Maps
    3. Latitude
    4. Low network signal
    5. Very low WIFI reception
    6. Auto updates in Market

If this helps, a simple thanks is enough :)
    It seems the same but just different name and that this issue has never occured on froyo, only in GB.

Wait, that problem on EVO has been going on for a very long time?! And just we thought Samsung is one of the worst out there. lol Glad they acted on it and pulled GB out before this problem affects more users. :)

From what I understood, you can see it's the "suspend process" if you use a tool like watchdog to see all the process details.
    If you use the standard battery history it only shows you "Android OS" as suspend is part of it.

The explanation of the Google employee at the end makes sense: a bad driver implementation in a rom and this suspend bug triggers, happened for HTC with Froyo, happened with Nexus One, seems to happen for our i9000 on gingerbread...

Anyway, I installed watchdog and I'm waiting for this bug to happen to see for myself.
    From what I understood, you can see it's the "suspend process" if you use a tool like watchdog to see all the process details.
    If you use the standard battery history it only shows you "Android OS" as suspend is part of it.

The explanation of the Google employee at the end makes sense: a bad driver implementation in a rom and this suspend bug triggers, happened for HTC with Froyo, happened with Nexus One, seems to happen for our i9000 on gingerbread...

Anyway, I installed watchdog and I'm waiting for this bug to happen to see for myself.

I am pinning your explanation as the most probable cause of this problem. We will be waiting for the result of your test!

EDIT: Tatsuya, you are right. That is definitely the root cause of this problem. I re-read the bottom part (as I just took a glance earlier) and other devices have problem this problem too.

Quoting from one of the responders there:
    Comment 259 by nsbu...@gmail.com, Apr 19, 2011

@toddpoy: dear sir, i reproduced issue twice on myTouch 4g. Battery discharged within several (5-6) hours from full with no activity. myt4g reports "Android OS" eating battery. But debug screen shows "suspend" of course.

In both cases in generated bugreport i see multiple failed attempts to shutdown uart_clk. Full cycle is attached. I found 519 occurrences of this cycle in one log and 170 in another. Would you believe this is issue for myT4g only? Seems it's different device than in Motorola case. I can email/upload you full bug report from both cases. What also would be procedure to report this findings to HTC? Thanks for advise!

<6>[57255.613311] msm_spi_suspend
    <6>[57255.613311] clks_allow_tcxo_locked_debug: 'uart_clk' not off.
    <6>[57255.613311] clks_allow_tcxo_locked_debug: 1 clks are on.
    <6>[57255.613311] [R] suspend end
    <6>[57255.613311] [R] resume start

And from the Google employee's explanation:
    Comment 261 by toddpoy...@google.com, Apr 20 (6 days ago)

@nsbu: The message about "'uart_clk' not off" looks alarming but is actually harmless -- this clock doesn't prevent the SoC from suspending, and this message always appears at suspend time in Android kernels running on Qualcomm MSM chipsets. (If other clocks were listed here then those could represent a problem.)

Similar to a previous report on a T-Mobile myTouch 4G discussed here, the data logged on wakeup reasons needs to be interpreted by the OEM that has the hardware specs for the phone and the Qualcomm radio firmware source that generates some of that info. HTC is the OEM for that phone; their support site is http://www.htc.com/us/support . Or try the T-Mobile support site at http://support.t-mobile.com/viewAllProducts.html , they seem to sell this device under their own brand.

In case anyone's confused, it's recognized that some phones do have battery life problems that stem from: (a) not properly suspending to low-power states and, (b) continually attempting to suspend and resume, burning CPU in the suspend thread. The causes tend to be due to devices continually generating interrupts (that might not be properly handled by device drivers and hence continue to be generated), or drivers rejecting suspend for conditions that should be short-lived but instead persist for long time periods. In many cases the drivers involved are written by OEMs and Google does not have any knowledge of the drivers or devices causing the problem -- the folks who made the phone need to take a look.

Problems with the Google Nexus One described in another issue referenced in previous comments fall in the same category, and in that case we have the hardware and the design info needed to diagnose the problem (wifi driver interrupt handling problem), and a fix is on the way.

Thanks Tatsuya! We are done investigating. Thank you for pointing us out to the right direction!
    Case is now closed. We cannot do anything to fix this problem but to wait for Samsung for the proper fix.
    Active Widgets: WeatherBug Elite, 3G Watchdog, BatStat and Calendar.
    Apps: All from above plus Twitter, Titanium Backup, Facebook, Twitter, Tapatalk, Camera360 Ultimate, Root Explorer, Foursquare.

Mostly I use the Twitter client and the browser. Location services are disabled.

People are mislead about what works and what is not. I just want to help ;)