WCDMA preferred ?

Search This thread

gudge

Sep 20, 2009
When I do #*#*info*#*# I see my phone is set to WCDMA preferred. Is this the best choice ?, I live in an area where my phone spends a lot of time with only gprs coverage and data transfer in gprs mode seems to be very flaky, works sometimes but often nothing comes through ?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA Premium App

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
Preferred is the best choice if your area doesn't have strong 3g/4g signal. Where I live I have strong 3g/4g signal so I set my phone to WCDMA only.

Only downside is when you hit a dead area with a weak signal you lose all connection because the phone is set to work on 3g/4g only. Can't make a call or surf the web.

If you don't want your phone switching to gprs set your phone to WCDMA only.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

Last edited:

gudge

Sep 20, 2009
Thanks.

What about GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) I seem to recall from my HTC Hero days that people were recommending to set to that, but can't remember the reason (might have been a battery reason)

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
Thanks.

What about GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) I seem to recall from my HTC Hero days that people were recommending to set to that, but can't remember the reason (might have been a battery reason)

I never tested it out but supposedly preferred option favors 3g/4g and the auto option favors edge. Auto option saves battery because its looking for a weaker signal. There is a link below that talks about the option on the Nexus One in more detail.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=688492

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

gudge

Sep 20, 2009
Hey thanks for the info and link, I'm going to give auto prl a go, cheers