[Q] Google maps compass problem

Search This thread

rannicus

Mar 31, 2007
Ok this is driving me nuts for sometime. After i flashed cyanogen mod 9 on my i9100g, the compass ( blue arrow ) pointeris pointing 45degrees in the wrong direction.

I tried wiping everything then flash it, still the same issue. Anyone have a fix on this. I tried the compass calibration app amd still the same problem

rannicus

Mar 31, 2007
I hope someone can help us with this one. I've searched the web for answers. they said it was a problem with the cyanogen mods even from their other releases for the i9100. I just hope there is a fix for this one because I do love cyanogenmod cwm

nic.stl

Jan 31, 2010
Hi

Just for your i formation, no problem with copilot

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9100G avec Tapatalk

gunmetal83

Apr 7, 2008
i9100g

if theres anything thats bad about galaxy series... its i9100g... it is a piece of **** i have used i9100.... absolutely brilliant... galaxy s3 is even more amazing...

i have standard ics rom... on an unlocked phone and have the same problem with google maps... i have to hold the phone upside down with the pointer suggesting m going backwards in navigation...

other gps apps work fine... like co pilot... but its just the built in google maps and navigation that has this issue...

looking into it...
if i find smfn uselfull will update...

for the time being its really testing my patience by actually having me walk around like a honey bee in the streets on london hopping from one road to another, just to find out i am heading the wrong way... :)

ciao

rannicus

Mar 31, 2007
if theres anything thats bad about galaxy series... its i9100g... it is a piece of **** i have used i9100.... absolutely brilliant... galaxy s3 is even more amazing...

i have standard ics rom... on an unlocked phone and have the same problem with google maps... i have to hold the phone upside down with the pointer suggesting m going backwards in navigation...

other gps apps work fine... like co pilot... but its just the built in google maps and navigation that has this issue...

looking into it...
if i find smfn uselfull will update...

for the time being its really testing my patience by actually having me walk around like a honey bee in the streets on london hopping from one road to another, just to find out i am heading the wrong way... :)

ciao

wow, an actual answer. so it's the built-in map that's screwy. Happened to me too, walking around singapore going the opposite direction under the hot sun. I hope they can find a patch or fix for this one

ratheen

Oct 26, 2009
I have been having the same problem.

It was there even when i was on the Stock ROM. other apps are fine, the google maps is what's messed up.

I think the GMaps app is a bit more sensitive, and may be interacting with other metallic items around, because at times it does show the right direction.

st times it's pointing in the opposite direction.

rannicus

Mar 31, 2007
I have been having the same problem.

It was there even when i was on the Stock ROM. other apps are fine, the google maps is what's messed up.

I think the GMaps app is a bit more sensitive, and may be interacting with other metallic items around, because at times it does show the right direction.

st times it's pointing in the opposite direction.

I see. Sometimes it does point in the right direction but most of the time it's not.
my problem now is having an alternative gps map application that is working here in singapore

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Ok this is driving me nuts for sometime. After i flashed cyanogen mod 9 on my i9100g, the compass ( blue arrow ) pointeris pointing 45degrees in the wrong direction.

I tried wiping everything then flash it, still the same issue. Anyone have a fix on this. I tried the compass calibration app amd still the same problem

This is DEVELOPMENT not Q&A!
yqB6a.png

mblaster4711

Jan 29, 2008
This Compass-Bug in G-Maps is not on I9100 it's only on the I9100G.

It is not a Compass-Bug at all, the Magnetometer works fine on I9100G.

The Problem exactly is: G-Maps doesn't poll once the Megnetometer, it only polls the Gyroscope for direction-changes. After startup G-Maps sets the arrow to north whatever direction your facing and any rotation you make will be translate right to G-Maps-rotation but from the wrong starting-direction.

I have this BUG in Stock GB and ICS on my XEF I9100G.

Workaround::
  • download a Compass-App in Google-Play
  • start the Compass-App
  • face exactly North and stand still
  • start G-Maps
  • wait until GPS-Fixed and blue dot turn to blue arrow
  • move !

DenisGuy

Dec 5, 2011
Miami
Does anybody have a "real" fix for that problem? Pointing my phone to the north works well but as soon as the screen turns off the arrow goes back to north and ****s up again.
I tried a couple of patches but nothing works.
Wouldn't this issue be fixable with a kernel tweak?

Top Liked Posts