[Guide] Unbrand HTC 8X

Search This thread

everal

Sep 25, 2008
@all
can anyone confirm this work with
german o2 firmware:15232.20.20002.207
bootloader: 0.0.1532.20(161722)

i have read that o2 have an ota update to 20003.207 with bootloader 162966, so may be think is working with the above listed version?

questions:
where i can find the necassary file:
ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh

thanks i will trying today...

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
I've got a pre-production unit that I'll be trying this on if i can't find anyone interested in buying it or swapping it for a retail unit.

anhthai

Feb 4, 2010
HỒ CHÍ MINH
Successful from asia to eu ;)
11105_426778994074110_871715720_n.jpg

66751_426783034073706_1957505276_n.jpg

neoxitric

Feb 18, 2013
got it working!

thank you very much for flash-information, the rom files and tutorial! after a several tries i finally got it working! i unbranded my t-mobile htc 8x (uefi bootloader 156246). needed to flash things some more times and there were moments where my heart nearly got stuck! i think cause was my crappy self-made y-cable! one time i had short-circuit and my pc crashed - got luck, wasn't flashig at this moment! :D

Last edited:

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
+1 on this. The Verizon 8x bootloader version is lower than what's specified in OP, however I'm curious to know if there's any other issues with unbranding the Verizon version. Any insight OP?

I just swapped out my pre-production unit for the VZW version (couldn't bear to flash a stock ROM and ruin a test device, when many people here would love to get their hands on it.) Anyway, I've got my AT&T SIM in, and everything works but tethering (my most important need).

I've got the parts to debrand, but am also waiting for someone more bold than I to try it first.

tofu-

Mar 29, 2011
thank you very much for flash-information, the rom files and tutorial! after a several tries i finally got it working! i unbranded my t-mobile htc 8x (uefi bootloader 156246). needed to flash things some more times and there were moments where my heart nearly got stuck! i think cause was my crappy self-made y-cable! one time i had short-circuit and my pc crashed - got luck, wasn't flashig at this moment! :D

does tethering now work without having a tethering plan?

everal

Sep 25, 2008
Hi at all,

i have now a brandingfree HTC 8x :)

base was the following rom and bootloader:

very very good guide in first post...

you need only this:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...s_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pocketpc0d-21
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...s_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pocketpc0d-21

but two difference on my own...

the message
display after step 8, NOT after Step 7
with error UEFI for Key Provision ONLY

i have flashed in step 9 again the "ruu_signed.nbh" named as "ACDUDIAG.nbh" (same as step 1)

i've got 2 error messages at the end of flashing process...

- first
firmware update for touchscreen firmware failure
(but Touchscreen works well???)

- after step 9 complete, HTC8X boot to boot loader and display the message
UEFI for Key Provision ONLY

3. now i have rebooted device and everything works fine...

notice with restore:
if you will be restore your backup-settings, device will be fall in a boot-loop after HTC-Logo, next Display is black and then come the loop...
only help was a "hard reset"...

thanks for this great tutorial...

Last edited:
Reactions: xboxmod

phear86

Nov 12, 2006
Need Help!

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, I followed the instructions to a T. On the first flash step, when the phone boots up, it boots to a white screen with green text, showing the software info. I never get the ACDUDIAG.nbh name to pop up, or the flash to start. My usb drive does start to blink, like it's being read. I have done md5sum checks on my files to make sure they're good. I have a T-Mobile HTC 8X, fresh OTB, no updates ever done. Any suggestions?

I just swapped out my pre-production unit for the VZW version (couldn't bear to flash a stock ROM and ruin a test device, when many people here would love to get their hands on it.) Anyway, I've got my AT&T SIM in, and everything works but tethering (my most important need).

I've got the parts to debrand, but am also waiting for someone more bold than I to try it first.

Currently, I do not own a Windows Phone 8.x device; however, I do own a pair of HTC Titans (Eternity) that I successfully debranded and HSPL. The process for debranding the 8X is almost identical to those of us who have/had the Titan (Eternity). For all of you new to this, I would encourage you to read the Titan debranding at http://xdaforums.com/login.php?a=pwd&u=1203383&i=e7e7df4e5dae3f4b12d23df7ca7aef94df815cb6 . The filenames are different but the steps are the same. All of you who are in your first Windows Phone platform device, please take the time to read these threads before repeatedly asking us what to do and how to do. Those of us running around with HSPL'd Titans know this is by far not a perfect process and is highly dependent on where you bought your device and where you're from and what carrier. I bought my Y-cable from Amazon and used a PNY USB 4 gig thumb drive; don't skimp, do it right but be patient. Until Microsoft gets Skype baked into WP8.x and it works without a hitch I'm staying put, but that's me! All of you please be patient; take care!

Last edited:

daredevil667

Apr 16, 2008
Buenos Aires
I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, I followed the instructions to a T. On the first flash step, when the phone boots up, it boots to a white screen with green text, showing the software info. I never get the ACDUDIAG.nbh name to pop up, or the flash to start. My usb drive does start to blink, like it's being read. I have done md5sum checks on my files to make sure they're good. I have a T-Mobile HTC 8X, fresh OTB, no updates ever done. Any suggestions?

I'm in the exact same situation.
I have a Verizon HTC 8x "Unlocked" bought in the Microsoft Store in Las Vegas.
Firmware version: 1532.20.10110.605
Bootloader: 0.0.1532.20(157404)

When I plugged the USB drive it started blinking and stopeed after 4-5 seconds. Then I keep pressed the camera button, Plug the HTC to the micro USB port and then I recieve a white screen with green text showing software info, so I couldn't complete the first step.

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

When I plugged the USB drive it started blinking and stopeed after 4-5 seconds. Then I keep pressed the camera button, Plug the HTC to the micro USB port and then I recieve a white screen with green text showing software info, so I couldn't complete the first step.

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

Update: I've tried with a different pendrive formated in Fat32, and now after the green text I'm getting 3 lines with codebars (IMEI, SN, MB) and after the last codebar in the center the text USB, but nothing happens...

phear86

Nov 12, 2006

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Update: I've tried with a different pendrive formated in Fat32, and now after the green text I'm getting 3 lines with codebars (IMEI, SN, MB) and after the last codebar in the center the text USB, but nothing happens...
How exactly did you format it? I wanted to see if you did it differently than me, or on a different Windows than me. And btw, I don't think this will work with the Verizon one because it's completely different hardware, that one is a dual mode phone, but the European one is just gsm.

daredevil667

Apr 16, 2008
Buenos Aires
How exactly did you format it? I wanted to see if you did it differently than me, or on a different Windows than me. And btw, I don't think this will work with the Verizon one because it's completely different hardware, that one is a dual mode phone, but the European one is just gsm.

I've performed a quick format in FAT32 file system (right click -> format in the drive in Computer Window). I'm using Windows 8 x64 Enterprise.
Sad news about that this won't work with the Verizon model.
I'm from Argentina and I bougth this Phone in a Business trip. The guys from the MS Store told me that it was fully unlocked, but when I get back here to Argentina and inserted my micro sim card, I've noticed that I couldn't use some features that I was able to use in my previous Win Phone 7.5 device with the same chip. I think that the worst issue is the internet sharing blocking thing.

LordKenny

Nov 24, 2011
Hello, I flash, but it's not well flash,and telephone show blue screen without text, i try to hard reset and telephone show this picture

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi
    i have successfuly unbrand my locked,vodafone branded 8X and flash a Stock HTC rom ! :victory:
    the process has been tested on PM232****/c620e Device & also 8S using different filename....
    this process bypass the CID check like Wp7 goldcard & can also fix some bad flash/reboot loop.

Caution!
    use at your own risk.
    I take no responsibility for any conflict or damage to your device

Requirements:
    -An Y-cable
    -sd card or usb drive key
    -the 3 .nbh extracted from those 2 exe using winrar:
    official rom HTC_Europe_2.00.401.03
    ACDU FIX*

-RUU_Signed.nbh
    -UEFI_signed.nbh
    -ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh

How to flash:

1- Format your sdcard or usb key in fat32
    2-Copy the file .nbh you want to flash to the usb key
    3-Rename it ACDUDIAG.nbh
    4-Connect the usb key to the Y-cable powered
    5-Shutdown the phone press camera button and connect the cable
    you will see the text ACDUDIAG.nbh on top left during 1 second
    then the flash will start.

For my european device with Bootloader 162966 i have flash in this order:
    -UEFI_signed.nbh
    -ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh
    -UEFI_signed.nbh
    -RUU_Signed.nbh
    -ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh
    -UEFI_signed.nbh

* Notice:
    (try different order for flash files if you have problem or if stuck on bootloader screen with uefi message)
    I have used this step but i think you can directly flash
    UEFI_signed.nbh then -RUU_Signed.nbh without Acdu depending on your software version

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has been able to achieve this on the Verizon HTC 8X. I'm tired of waiting for Portico from them and if I could unbrand my device then I could receive Portico as well as have the ability to group text. Also I'm not sure what you mean by a "Y Cable". If you could elaborate on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
    You should check if the hard/software versions match, If they do you can try. If they don't you can still try but risk of the device not booting anymore.

Y cable is two female USB plugs connected, and a USB male plug only for +5v DC. check here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1676794
    Successful from asia to eu ;)
    11105_426778994074110_871715720_n.jpg

66751_426783034073706_1957505276_n.jpg
    Hi at all,

i have now a brandingfree HTC 8x :)

base was the following rom and bootloader:

very very good guide in first post...

you need only this:
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...s_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pocketpc0d-21
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...s_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pocketpc0d-21

but two difference on my own...

the message
    display after step 8, NOT after Step 7
    with error UEFI for Key Provision ONLY

i have flashed in step 9 again the "ruu_signed.nbh" named as "ACDUDIAG.nbh" (same as step 1)

i've got 2 error messages at the end of flashing process...

- first
    firmware update for touchscreen firmware failure
    (but Touchscreen works well???)

- after step 9 complete, HTC8X boot to boot loader and display the message
    UEFI for Key Provision ONLY

3. now i have rebooted device and everything works fine...

notice with restore:
    if you will be restore your backup-settings, device will be fall in a boot-loop after HTC-Logo, next Display is black and then come the loop...
    only help was a "hard reset"...

thanks for this great tutorial...