Video out for Galaxy Mega

Search This thread

gx3k

Jul 8, 2008
Anybody tried connecting their Galaxy Mega 6.3 to HDTVs via MHL cable? The MHL cable for my original Note doesn't seem to work with the Mega and I was thinking maybe because it's MHL 1.0 and the Mega has MHL 2.0. Based on my internet search, MHL 2.0 needs 900mA while MHL 1.0 needs 500mA. Any thoughts? I'm using a rooted stock ROM.

EDIT: Upon further research I found out the MHL for galaxy phones from S3 onwards (Note 2, S4, Mega) uses an 11 pin MHL unlike the S2 and original Note that uses 5 pin MHL. You may buy a 5 pin to 11 pin adapter for older MHL adapters to work for newer phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: inurb

gx3k

Jul 8, 2008
Got the MHL cable today and did some testing. My results:

* Tried 720p MKV and 1080p MP4 and they played smoothly. Too smoothly actually as the frame rate was too high that they have the 'soap opera' effect. This was solved by adjusting the HDTV settings, I turned off high frame rate setting in advanced setting of our telly.
* Most games worked well except Need for Speed Most Wanted which had noticeable lag though it's still playable. I think this will run smoothly if I could change the telly setting to 720p rather than 1080p.
* There is no way you could adjust the output settings on the phone itself so you can only manipulate the output via your telly. Each TV brand will have different setting so results may vary.

I paid £4.75 for the cable from here (choose the green one) and it has the USB power supply cable and HDMI out connected to the adapter directly so you don't have to look for some.

HDMI in and USB power supply both connected to the telly
TiX3bHb.jpg

It connects instantly with a message on the phone screen saying 'HDMI is connected'
hnCBTtY.jpg

Quality of output is superb
McBiAq1.jpg

High graphic games may lag a bit but most will run smoothly
nf4XE5e.jpg

Just bring the cable anywhere to watch movies while traveling or at a friend's house
oPIWfjK.jpg

Last edited:

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
Well that explains why my adapter didn't work, I was also using an older one from my Note 1.

I'll go search amazon for a newer version..

Thanks!

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
I picked up one of these today from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATDA8C8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't seem to get it working at all?

I plugged everything in and the Mega 6.3 didn't seem to detect anything. I think I recalled with the old adapter that something showed in the notification settings when you plugged it in?

Did you have to turn on any settings in the phone at all? I have NFC and stuff like that turned off.

Reactions: jcg1541

gx3k

Jul 8, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATDA8C8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged everything in and the Mega 6.3 didn't seem to detect anything. I think I recalled with the old adapter that something showed in the notification settings when you plugged it in?

Did you have to turn on any settings in the phone at all? I have NFC and stuff like that turned off.

I did not do anything, just plugged in the adapter and connected the USB to a power source. The phone will start charging and then a message saying 'HDMI connected' will appear on the phone screen when you plug the adapter to the TV. Did you plug the USB for power? Are you switched on the right input source in the TV (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc)? Try wiggling the cable to see if it is loose.

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
Interesting... When I plug in the cable to the bottom of the phone and then plug the usb end of the cable into the wall adapter the phone does not charge.

I am running the rooted kernel, maybe that is broken in the kernel...

I did not do anything, just plugged in the adapter and connected the USB to a power source. The phone will start charging and then a message saying 'HDMI connected' will appear on the phone screen when you plug the adapter to the TV. Did you plug the USB for power? Are you switched on the right input source in the TV (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc)? Try wiggling the cable to see if it is loose.

gx3k

Jul 8, 2008
Interesting... When I plug in the cable to the bottom of the phone and then plug the usb end of the cable into the wall adapter the phone does not charge.

Im using the original kernel over the rooted kernel so I still have root. It should at least charge when the USB power cable is connected. Anyway, check if the MHL plug that goes into the phone has 11 pins, here's a photo comparison of my 2 MHL adapters/cables:

oLSInaR.jpg

jcg1541

May 11, 2013

We are on the same boat. I have RocketFish's adapter, and it includes the 5pin to 11pin adaptor. I tried both 5pin and 11pin, but none worked. I am suspecting rooting as the problem. I remember a galaxy mega review page says some DRM protected content will not be mirrored onto TV. In the same logic of that controlling software, a rooted device will have nothing mirrored. And indeed, after unrooting my i527, the Setting->About Device->Status->Device Status still says "Custom".

I was all wrong. The 11pin with the RocketFish's adapter worked out great after I got a little frustrated and pushed a little harder on the plug. It "clicked" with a little force. I thought I broke something. I did not. It gets that extra push to make the proper contact. And voila, the screen is perfectly mirrored.

I used to have the original Galaxy Note and I mirrored it to HDMI TV quite a few times. It was utterly unsatisfying because any non-factory rom would not mirror.

Now Galaxy Mega is super.

Last edited:

allyalla

Jun 20, 2014
On green adater. Does it charge mega faster than it consume power? And I still cant get the following - how the hell any adapter for mega's 11 pin microusb can work with different samsung custom s3's microusb socket at the same time? Then what? Mega's microusb is wrong too?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the MHL cable today and did some testing. My results:

* Tried 720p MKV and 1080p MP4 and they played smoothly. Too smoothly actually as the frame rate was too high that they have the 'soap opera' effect. This was solved by adjusting the HDTV settings, I turned off high frame rate setting in advanced setting of our telly.
    * Most games worked well except Need for Speed Most Wanted which had noticeable lag though it's still playable. I think this will run smoothly if I could change the telly setting to 720p rather than 1080p.
    * There is no way you could adjust the output settings on the phone itself so you can only manipulate the output via your telly. Each TV brand will have different setting so results may vary.

I paid £4.75 for the cable from here (choose the green one) and it has the USB power supply cable and HDMI out connected to the adapter directly so you don't have to look for some.

HDMI in and USB power supply both connected to the telly
    TiX3bHb.jpg

It connects instantly with a message on the phone screen saying 'HDMI is connected'
    hnCBTtY.jpg

Quality of output is superb
    McBiAq1.jpg

High graphic games may lag a bit but most will run smoothly
    nf4XE5e.jpg

Just bring the cable anywhere to watch movies while traveling or at a friend's house
    oPIWfjK.jpg

Im using the original kernel over the rooted kernel so I still have root. It should at least charge when the USB power cable is connected. Anyway, check if the MHL plug that goes into the phone has 11 pins, here's a photo comparison of my 2 MHL adapters/cables:

oLSInaR.jpg
    Anybody tried connecting their Galaxy Mega 6.3 to HDTVs via MHL cable? The MHL cable for my original Note doesn't seem to work with the Mega and I was thinking maybe because it's MHL 1.0 and the Mega has MHL 2.0. Based on my internet search, MHL 2.0 needs 900mA while MHL 1.0 needs 500mA. Any thoughts? I'm using a rooted stock ROM.

EDIT: Upon further research I found out the MHL for galaxy phones from S3 onwards (Note 2, S4, Mega) uses an 11 pin MHL unlike the S2 and original Note that uses 5 pin MHL. You may buy a 5 pin to 11 pin adapter for older MHL adapters to work for newer phones.