Flashable Linux and Android

Search This thread

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
This thread is about installing Android natively on your Vogue so it completely replaces Windows Mobile.

[size +1]Important: This thread is now out of date, if you want to flash Android, use the new "norootfs" NBHs.[/size]

There are 2 installation methods:

If you are already running android from your sd card then use method 2, if you want a fresh install of android 1.5 from a windows machine use method 1.

For both methods, you must have a HardSPL installed, if you have flashed a custom wince rom before then you will, otherwise read one of the other threads on XDA about how to do this.

Method 1:
------------------------------------------------------------------

download the following:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zldjhfnkzk2

Unzip it and follow the instructions in README-ANDROID.txt.

All you have to do is copy the androidinstall.tar file to your sd card and run ROMUpdateUtility.exe on your PC.

Now Donate:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...bn=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donate_SM.gif:NonHosted

Method 2:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Check here for NBH files containing a linux kernel and initrd to allow you to flash android to your vogue and wipe windows completely.

http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D

The ROMs are dated and there are three versions.
They are identical except the resolution; 240x320, 320x428 and 320x480.

You will also need a new rootfs:

http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/rootfs.zip

This rom will copy your rootfs, system and data to nand (the internal storage of the phone) so you will only be running from nand. To do this, make sure you have a working setup (using system.sqsh and data.img without partitions) and install the new rootfs. Make sure it still works.

Make sure you have a carrier rom to go back to. Android currently doesn't let you change any of the radio parameters so you would have to flash back to a carrier rom to re-provision your phone.

Now create 3 empty files in the root of your sd card called:

rootfstonand
systemfstonand
datafstonand

These must be all lower case with no extensions and they will be deleted once each fs has been copied.

Now flash the rom corresponding to your resolution and wait.

There are 3 ways to flash a rom.
1. Use ROMUpdateUtility under windows (this may not work on these roms, i haven't tried it). Rename the nbh file to RUU_signed.nbh.
2. Use HTCFlasher under Linux, this is what I have been doing and although a bit quirky, it does work. A binary that fixes a few things with HTCFlasher is on the website.
3. Rename the nbh file to VOGUIMG.NBH, put it on an SD card and boot the phone while holding down the power and camera keys.

When it starts, it should be running from nand. The tmp and cache dirs are still mounted from sd, so you do need the sd card in there but it's not really used much.

If something goes wrong or you haven't copied the correct files, press volume up while it is booting (after the two vibrates preferably). It will display a message saying that its in recovery mode. You should be able to plug the phone into a computer and the sd card will appear as a usb drive. You can also connect using adb.

There are a few limitations, rootfs must be less than 13M, system must be less than about 90M and data must be less than about 128M. This means unless you use a very stripped down system with apps2sd, hero probably won't work.

I've put a linux adb binary on the files page that fixes the annoying history 'feature' too.

Remember, this will completely wipe windows mobile and all your data from the phone. Run android from SD first to make sure you like it and don't want to be able to easily go back to windows mobile.

I've spent a lot of time on this so I would like people to donate if they use it.

This is my paypal:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...bn=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donate_SM.gif:NonHosted

Last edited:

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
I've spent a lot of time on this so I would like people to donate if they use it.

This is my paypal:

I'm paypaling 5 bucks right now.... and I dont have a Vogue, I have a kaiser, but hey, $5 is long overdue for all the work you've done for the kernel... if NAND support hits the kaiser, I'll probably throw another $5-10 your way.
*paypaled - I normally dont do this kind of stuff, but its the holiday season, the MSM Android project has made SO much progress cause of DZO, if everyone just donated $5-10, it would at least be a nice gesture for all the work he's done*

Last edited:

gswarriorfan

Dec 3, 2009
I just registered to say thanks for all the hard work! I'll paypal you some cash once I get it up and running! I have a couple questions...

First, what works and doesn't work with this version? Bluetooth, tethering, nav?

Second, what version of android is this?

dj13241

Jul 11, 2007
After flashing android using this method, can you still force the phone into the bootloader? I am assuming this is how you would flash back to windows.

Shidell

Jan 21, 2009
Thank you, dzo. This is incredible work!

Now that you've gotten this far, can you answer some questions for those of us considering making the switch to Android:

1. What is/is not working in this build?
  2. What version of Android is this?
  3. What are the advantages of running one resolution over another?
  4. Will we require new drivers to sync to our PCs when running Android instead of WinMo? Are they available for all OSes? (XP, Vista, 7, OSX, Linux)
  5. How can we return to WinMo if necessary?
  6. What's next in your development goals? With any ideas, can you give any sort of time frame on what we can expect and maybe when?

pmcnano

Dec 5, 2008
If I understand correctly, theres "NO" build in here, you play with builds in your DS, and when you are ready and like one..you just use that system.sqsh data.img rootfs (provided) and..the nbh, all in the root of the sd card. And it will flash the nand with your files! So..thats it!

Nice one dzo, hoping for you to get to kaiser :D

Pandemic187

Jan 22, 2009
North Carolina
Hey Martin, I can't even use these flashable images, but if it weren't for you I wouldn't even be running Android via haret, plus you've answered so many of my questions and I've never donated. So, since you're actually now, I'll donate $10.

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
flashing from windows

Can someone try flashing from windows, then use mtty and run

Code:
set 16 0
task 3

I had to do that to get my test phone out of bootloader last night even after flashing from Linux. But it's up and running 'the new old fashioned way' now. :cool:

jamezelle

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2007
Ohio
www.jamezelle.com
I just registered to say thanks for all the hard work! I'll paypal you some cash once I get it up and running! I have a couple questions...

First, what works and doesn't work with this version? Bluetooth, tethering, nav?

Second, what version of android is this?

nothing that hasnt already worked works there is no change...

After flashing android using this method, can you still force the phone into the bootloader? I am assuming this is how you would flash back to windows.

yea camera + power + reset hole
Thank you, dzo. This is incredible work!

Now that you've gotten this far, can you answer some questions for those of us considering making the switch to Android:

1. What is/is not working in this build?
  2. What version of Android is this?
  3. What are the advantages of running one resolution over another?
  4. Will we require new drivers to sync to our PCs when running Android instead of WinMo? Are they available for all OSes? (XP, Vista, 7, OSX, Linux)
  5. How can we return to WinMo if necessary?
  6. What's next in your development goals? With any ideas, can you give any sort of time frame on what we can expect and maybe when?

i can answer a few

1 nothing that wasnt already working this isnt a build!!!, this is a way for VOGUE users to be able to put a working build "data.img and system.sqsh" they already have working on their phone and to be able to get rid of android
2 this isnt a build
3 320x240 shows more on screen 320x428 and 320x480 show more on screen but it is a little blurry
4 you will require adb drivers located on http://code.google.com/p/vogue-android and as far as i know they work on vista 32 and win 7 32 bit and there are different ones also located at vogue-android for win 7 64b
there are adb drivers for linux in the android SDK located here http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.6_r1/index.html make sure you download 1.6r1 though! 1.5r3 doesnt work for our devices in linux
5 just reflash any wm rom (that works with vogue of course)
Can someone try flashing from windows, then use mtty and run

Code:
set 16 0
task 3

I had to do that to get my test phone out of bootloader last night even after flashing from Linux. But it's up and running 'the new old fashioned way' now. :cool:

you could also use the bootloader cmd prompt in htc flasher and do:
Code:
set 16 0
ResetDevice

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Does this have lcd density set? Because eclair is density 120, but looks better in 320x428 with 160 density. If not, is there a way to set density after flashing?

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
OMFG!!!! dzo you are something else!!!

I just got my Vogue a few weeks back and I am surprised on how well Android runs on this thing (I have a Raphael as well, but no comparison to this)
Having a flashable rom to a WM device... unbelievable...

Kudos for your work man!!!!

I guess the question on a lot of people's minds right now is this... how do you go back to WM?

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
you could also use the bootloader cmd prompt in htc flasher and do:
Code:
set 16 0
ResetDevice

I tried that and it came back in bootloader with 'RUUNBH' in the upper right corner. Then I added the task3 and it booted normally. Who knows, maybe I did something else funny.

I used htcflasher on my newly-reloaded ubuntu laptop, but I wasn't able to get it to work under windows. So I thought that maybe flashing from windows was ok, but it just needed a kick through mtty to get going.

What do those two bootloader commands do? Not that it really matters since dzo says the newest version should work from windows anyway...

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Does this have lcd density set? Because eclair is density 120, but looks better in 320x428 with 160 density. If not, is there a way to set density after flashing?

There's no density set on the kernel cmd line, I'd have to make another nbh for that.

However, since system can now be made r/w you should be able to edit /system/default.prop to change density.

Do:

adb remount
adb pull /system/default.prop .
edit the file and change ro.sf.lcd_density
adb push default.prop /system/

reboot

Giggles 312

Oct 23, 2009
Boston
Thanks you so much dzo. i got this working, now im going through all my android files on my computer to find a build that i like, and wanna keep as my main build, but one thing, does the data really have to be less than 128mb? because almost all my android builds are alot bigger which is annoying.

but other than that it worked like a charm. thanks so much.

p.s. once i get some $$ (the 15th of december [my payday]) and find a permanent build i'll send some donations for you hard work.

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
There's no density set on the kernel cmd line, I'd have to make another nbh for that.

However, since system can now be made r/w you should be able to edit /system/default.prop to change density.

Do:

adb remount
adb pull /system/default.prop .
edit the file and change ro.sf.lcd_density
adb push default.prop /system/

reboot
Legend! Thank you. I will try it as soon as I can figure out the data.img haha.

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
Also, how do we make a smaller data.img? I keep getting 256MB versions.

i used the following commands to make a new data img
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=~/data.img bs=1048576 count=128
mke2fs -F ~/data.img

to make a blank 128 mb data.img file in my home folder

- I can now confirm that flashing the nbh with the ruu works from Windows.
- dzo, I have a panel type 3 us sprint vogue. everything booted up fine, the buttons work, but the touchscreen isn't. Will post logcat / dmesg in a bit.

edit: uploaded zip w/ logcat and dmesg

Attachments

• logfiles.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: