[Q] Charging over USB through PC

Search This thread

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
Hello,

I am new here and have found some answers but no solution for this problem, so I try again by a new thread (sorry if I missed an answer)

I want to charge my tab through the usb connection to my pc or in my car and not only through the AC-adapter.

In the development discussion is this theme going on (page 101):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswinky
With the console apk in the device directly:

1|u0_a40@android:/ $ adb shell echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging
/system/bin/sh: can't create /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging: Permission denied
1|u0

I don't kmow why this error, I am root, but anyway, I changed this value directly using root explorer and a text editor and it works for me, now I have enabled usb and non-samsung-charger charging.

Thanks a lot!
Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

You are using Terminal Emulator ? If yes then no need to write adb shell, just su first then echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/force_usb_charging

I followed this instruction by Using the Terminal Emulator. Changing to "1" works fine until I restart my tab, than its back to "0" and I do have to change it again.

How can I keep the wanted setting to "1" ?

Thanks for help in advance

Peter

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500 3G + Wifi
Latest nightly CM10.1 JB 4.2.2
TWRP 2.4.1.0

Last edited:

John Kester

Dec 26, 2012
Port Harcourt
CM10 and 10.1 Jellybean come with USB charging already enabled. Wonder why yours doesn't work. Anyway you may need to change your kernel first before activating the feature. I heard A1 kernel works great, I use Pershoot kernels in both JB 4.1.2 and 4.2.1 which I interchange depending on what I need to do. Both have the feature. I also use stock ICS but I never bothered with the feature there.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Grop

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
John,

Thanks for your help.

Changed the kernel to the A1 1.8.4. P4 G3 and its working again.

I had the Kernel 3.1.10 from CM from somewhere in Januari on it and somewhere it went wrong with that one.

The A1 is doing what I needed.

Thanks

Peter

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
problem not solved

Today I updatet to the nightly 28-02 and noticed that charging over usb connection is not working. The kernel is back to 3.1.10-cyanogenmod+root@pershoot-ubuntu#4 Wed jan 16 05:31:00EST 2013 and guess what:

Charging through a usb connection to PC is disabled.

So I have to change the Kernel back to the A1 again.

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
kernel changed

Changed the Kernel to A1 version: 3.1.10_A1_V1.8.4. Daniel@Daniel3 #283 Sun Dec 23 16.02.03 EST 2012.

USB charging is working!

So I presume that in the Pershoots Nightly the Kernel is disabling usb charging. Or is there another way to activate the usb-charging?

Peter

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
Did a full wipe and installed the cm10.1 - 20130301 Nightly. Same issue. Had to install the A1 kernel again.

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
Updated to todays version 05/03/2013. Noticed that the Kernel has been updated to: 3.1.10-cyanogenmod+root@pershoot-ubuntu#4 SunMar 3 19:35:46 EST 2013.

No charging over usb connection.:(

Changed to A1 and charging is working.

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
Updated to todays version 05/03/2013. Noticed that the Kernel has been updated to: 3.1.10-cyanogenmod+root@pershoot-ubuntu#4 SunMar 3 19:35:46 EST 2013.

you have to activate it.

the instructions are right above you. must be root.

i had it enabled automatically (for a short time), but this cauised issues with certain tabs in the suite (the touchscreen would go bonkers) when plugged in and booting, so i removed it. its also safer not to have it on by default, because not all pcs can supply a consistent voltage output. if the power going to the battery is waivering, it could potentially cause issue.

samsung did not have this enabled at all (probably for that very reason).

Last edited:
Reactions: Grop

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
Thanks

Pershoot,

Thank you for your reply. The solution of activating as I copied above is only working until the next reboot.

I now understand why you did not activate this, and I will take good notice of your advice. Nevertheless it is rather strange that I do not experience any problem using the A1 kernel.

Greatings,

Peter

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
Pershoot,

Thank you for your reply. The solution of activating as I copied above is only working until the next reboot.

I now understand why you did not activate this, and I will take good notice of your advice. Nevertheless it is rather strange that I do not experience any problem using the A1 kernel.

Greatings,

Peter

dont forget, thousands of people and their tabs have to be attenuated for with any changes done. it may work for you and your tab, but that doesn't mean it will work out for anyone else and their tabs.

there's a lot of variance there.

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
Suggestion

Maybe someone is able to make a third option in usb-connection-tab, so you can switch usb charging on and of, the same as MTP and PTP.

Settings>Storage and hit the menu button then 3 USB Options: MTP, PTP and Charging over USB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CM10 and 10.1 Jellybean come with USB charging already enabled. Wonder why yours doesn't work. Anyway you may need to change your kernel first before activating the feature. I heard A1 kernel works great, I use Pershoot kernels in both JB 4.1.2 and 4.2.1 which I interchange depending on what I need to do. Both have the feature. I also use stock ICS but I never bothered with the feature there.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda app-developers app

you have to activate it.

the instructions are right above you. must be root.

i had it enabled automatically (for a short time), but this cauised issues with certain tabs in the suite (the touchscreen would go bonkers) when plugged in and booting, so i removed it. its also safer not to have it on by default, because not all pcs can supply a consistent voltage output. if the power going to the battery is waivering, it could potentially cause issue.

samsung did not have this enabled at all (probably for that very reason).