[Nook HD/HD+] Ubuntu Touch 13.10 "Saucy" [Project Abandoned]

Search This thread

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
PROJECT ABANDONED AS OF 11/27/2016
I have little knowledge on how to get this rom working. If someone would like to take over then start a new thread. On top of this, it's currently unclear the state of the Ubuntu Touch project as a whole.

Welcome to Ubuntu Touch for Nook HD
Ubuntu Touch is a project from Canonical that aims to create a mobile, touch friendly, unique operating system.

DISCLAIMER
I DO NOT claim to know what I'm doing, half the time I do not, lol.
Installing/flashing anything discussed in this thread is at your own risk. Things break, code is never 100% perfect, I'm not responsible if your device is bricked.

INSTALLATION

Thanks to user ShotSkydiver we have a Hummingbird build! I will post install details later once I get this up on my device.​

Last edited:

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
Changelog

10/28

Hummingbird
The touch axis is no longer flipped, but the touch zones are still messed up, so tapping is off by about half an inch.

If you run into the same problem I did with not being able to get past the intro screen, reboot into CWM, adb pull /data/ubuntu/usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/com.canonical.unity.AccountsService.xml, find the line that says
Code:
<property name="demo-edges" type="b" access="readwrite">
      <annotation name="org.freedesktop.Accounts.DefaultValue" value="true"/>
    </property>
and change the value to "false", push the file back to the same location, and reboot.

I'm still working on getting touch fixed properly, also accelerometer as that doesn't work either.

Ovation

Last edited:
Reactions: youske

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
Currently stuck on a error, anyone who knows please help out.
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `/home/lance/Nook-HD-Ubuntu-Touch/out/target/product/hummingbird/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libwpa_client_intermediates/export_includes', needed by `/home/lance/Nook-HD-Ubuntu-Touch/out/target/product/hummingbird/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libhardware_legacy_intermediates/import_includes'.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Reactions: youske

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus
Wow! Cool. I almost got excited, then realized that it said "HD" not "HD+". Oh well. Sorry, I don't actually have anything valuable to add. Just that it's exciting to see some more ROMS popping up for this (these) device(s). Good luck, I hope you get it running, and that it inspires somebody to do the same for HD+.

Reactions: youske and waflsk8s

waflsk8s

Jun 6, 2010
Wow! Cool. I almost got excited, then realized that it said "HD" not "HD+". Oh well. Sorry, I don't actually have anything valuable to add. Just that it's exciting to see some more ROMS popping up for this (these) device(s). Good luck, I hope you get it running, and that it inspires somebody to do the same for HD+.

I too have nothing valuable to contribute but would like to see continued progress on this and hopefully also a build for the HD+. :victory:

Reactions: juasjuas and youske

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
My system began crashing today, I'm not sure why. Something to do with xorg but it locks up before I can fully figure out the issue. I'll try cleaning the dust from the fan inside my laptop to see if it could be a overheating issue.

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus
Should be straightforward once I get a build up for the HD. Maybe a while because my current laptop decided to act up on me at the worse possible time.

You're in good company, at least. (FWIW)... KillerSloth has horrible troubles with his laptop too. The laptops are possibly rebelling against compiling OS's for different platforms? Who knows what's going on?

GavinMazey

Apr 4, 2010
Englewood, FL
Google Pixel 4a
I can't wait to try this!

From my experience, most laptops cooling systems are not designed to cool the cpu adequately when doing things that stress the cpu as severely as compiling roms. But my suggestion would be to clean out your fan and heatsink as best you can. If your technically inclined and can find a good tutorial on taking your laptop apart I'd do it to really clean it out. You'll be amazed by how much dust can get up in there. You could also clean wipe the laptop and reinstall Linux fresh which could solve your xorg problems.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

killersloth

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 7, 2011
Those xorg issues are incompatible driver issues I believe.
Reinstall clean and setup build environment. Try to refrain from recommended updates after you get everything working right lol

Not sure if I ever sent the PM, but you can add that wpa supplicant tree to your manifest for simplicity.
Any other build errors/issues I can probably walk you through too, I've seen them all lol especially with these nooks now :p

Sent from my Nook HD+ using xda premium

dejello

Oct 15, 2010
If you can get this booting I'd be happy to know what you did. All of my build attempts since they did the flip have been unsuccessful and I do not apparently have the know-how to get it working (it boot loops on my HD+ and Nook Tablet, both of which seem to actually turn off briefly so I can't pull any logs). Good luck and hopefully your computer gets going again :)

Reactions: juasjuas

Amirusownsu

Nov 2, 2010
Tampa
I really wish there was more work on this, would be fantastic to check out Ubuntu on a tablet without having to make another purchase.

juasjuas

Dec 9, 2010
Cartagena
I am working on porting Ubuntu touch to the Nook HD, and it's going rather well, but the guide says i need to write UCM mixer files, and I have no idea what to do. Can anybody help?

Maybe in other threads who speaks about porting to UT maybe healp you if you ask them
I have one Nook HD, I could be your tester if you want :laugh:

Amirusownsu

Nov 2, 2010
Tampa
I am working on porting Ubuntu touch to the Nook HD, and it's going rather well, but the guide says i need to write UCM mixer files, and I have no idea what to do. Can anybody help?

Yeah, I couldn't help with it since I only really know simple web development stuff (have a few certs, still in school)...but if there is anything we could do to help I'm sure alot of interest would be found.

Jun 23, 2012
Orange Park
Yeah, I couldn't help with it since I only really know simple web development stuff (have a few certs, still in school)...but if there is anything we could do to help I'm sure alot of interest would be found.

I honestly had never even heard of UCM mixer files, and I still don't fully understand them. I have my own Nook HD to test on, and when I get it booted, I'll post it. Where should I look?

D

Deleted member 2092952

Unless you already figured out how to get it to boot I would focus on that issue first - that of booting - though I suppose you could build for the non-flipped old builds of touch but that won't do much good really. The audio fix is minor compared.

When the ubuntu images were flipped the ability to get a working bootable build became more difficult. It should be rather easy for someone who knows what they are doing with ubuntu touch and possibly a rom dev or similiar but otherwise its quite confusing. The guide says they will update it to explain the needed info and some stuff is explained somewhat at the top.

I've made a lot of boot.img tests which did nothing and then looked into lxc (found inside the touch zip) is very important to booting but haven't felt like doing anything else. Lxc and boot.img need to be repackaged with additional device specific code at this point in time from what I understand... in order to get it to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PROJECT ABANDONED AS OF 11/27/2016
    I have little knowledge on how to get this rom working. If someone would like to take over then start a new thread. On top of this, it's currently unclear the state of the Ubuntu Touch project as a whole.

Welcome to Ubuntu Touch for Nook HD
    Ubuntu Touch is a project from Canonical that aims to create a mobile, touch friendly, unique operating system.

DISCLAIMER
    I DO NOT claim to know what I'm doing, half the time I do not, lol.
    Installing/flashing anything discussed in this thread is at your own risk. Things break, code is never 100% perfect, I'm not responsible if your device is bricked.

INSTALLATION

Thanks to user ShotSkydiver we have a Hummingbird build! I will post install details later once I get this up on my device.​
    Some photos. Image does not fill the entire screen and not fully visible. Touch and wifi works.

UPD: +1 screenshot with ro.sf.hwrotation=0; screen now is fine, but touch is rotated :(
    OK. I created bootable emmc image. All what we need is:
    • green loader : http:goo.gl/ki9xez,
    • mkbootimg: http:goo.gl/Tx4vz5",
    • kernel and ramdisk.img from your ubuntu-touch build directory.
    1. Next, create boot.img with mkbootimg:
      Code:
      mkbootimg --kernel kernel --ramdisk ramdisk.img --base 0x80000000 --cmdline 'androidboot.console=ttyO0 console=ttyO0,115200n8 def_disp=lcd2' --pagesize 4096 -o new_boot.img
    2. After, concat green loader and new_boot.img:
      Code:
      cat new_boot.img >> head.img
      , and replace boot.img in zip update file with just created.
    3. Flash zip file from recovery
    4. Reboot device
    5. adb push android-ramdisk.img /boot/
    It work, but looks ugly.
    Update: ovation-configs-touch.zip

• 18-11-2013 Included alsa ucm files. Sound works throught the speaker and 3.5mm jack. Only playback (no capture).
    • 21-11-2013
      • Included "bluetooth-touch-ovation.conf" (init script for upstart).
      • Included "config-ovation.xml" (config file for powerd)
      • "70-ovation.rules" moved to the right place.

What to do after installation:
    1. adb shell
    2. nmcli -pretty dev wifi connect <SSID> password <Password> (or setup wi-fi from GUI)
    3. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (will return error about "initramfs-tools", it is normal)
    Did the dirty hack to fix reversed touch (actually Barnes & Noble did it before me).

Link to ubuntu-20131010-UNOFFICIAL-ovation.zip: http://goo.gl/3udgQV
    Link to android-ramdisk.img : http://goo.gl/F4LmE5 (put it into /data/ubuntu/boot)