What if the S5 was metal??

Search This thread

seoulbrova

Oct 21, 2010
Would people still be complaining?

Seriously, over 90% of the time when I see someone with a phone they have it in a plastic case.

The uproar of the S5 is annoying...if it bothers you that much then get the HTC One which will probably end up in a plastic case.

According to AndroidCentral, the S5 screen is now as bright and good as the Note 3 (which has one of the best screens I've ever used), a better camera, and waterproofing, not to mention theyre still one of the few phones to offer a micro sd slot.

If anything it should have had 3GB ram and started at 32GB instead of 16GB, but in every other instance it looks like a solid device.

Reactions: mr_stevey

hamad138

Mar 3, 2012
It does not need metal, but pls not that ugly, even moto g looks better

Samsung is only caring about our money, how to make the most money

seoulbrova

Oct 21, 2010
It does not need metal, but pls not that ugly, even moto g looks better

Samsung is only caring about our money, how to make the most money

Samsung has the most aftermarket accessories out of any company other than Apple.

On ebay you can buy a replacement battery door that suits your needs for less than $5.

I dont know, the black looks pretty good to me.

Rippley05

May 11, 2010

Seriously, over 90% of the time when I see someone with a phone they have it in a plastic case.

The uproar of the S5 is annoying...if it bothers you that much then get the HTC One which will probably end up in a plastic case.

According to AndroidCentral, the S5 screen is now as bright and good as the Note 3 (which has one of the best screens I've ever used), a better camera, and waterproofing, not to mention theyre still one of the few phones to offer a micro sd slot.

If anything it should have had 3GB ram and started at 32GB instead of 16GB, but in every other instance it looks like a solid device.

Waterproof because that's an issue the masses have right? People jumping on the ones who aren't blindly following samsung are equally as annoying.

It should have better material along with a fresh look. It should have a newer version of TW that looks/ feels new and doesn't crush 8+GB of storage. It should focus a little on the sound quality.

The HTC One had a totally revamped design and revamped version of Sense and it only won smartphone of the year. If this phone didn't say Samsung, it would be a huge fail

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

frankgreimes

May 26, 2013
Samsung has the most aftermarket accessories out of any company other than Apple.

On ebay you can buy a replacement battery door that suits your needs for less than $5.

I dont know, the black looks pretty good to me.

The back cover isn't the problem, like you said most are going to use a case. I certainly will buy the Buckdroid and the Otter Box Defender also don't confuse waterproof with water resistant. It's "only" water resitant not water proof.

illmatic`

Jul 6, 2012
I don't mind the plastic at all. Too many people complain about it not being metal. Plastic is lightweight, less prone to scratches or damages when dropped, and you can remove the cover for the battery/SD card, which is always a good thing.

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre

People aren't complaining because of plastic. The problem is the hype created becacuse of rumored UHD screen, 64bit processor, a giant battery and even the deal Sammy made with Google. I don't know if 3gb are really is necessary or not, I never used more than 1.3GB but 32GB of storage would be nice. Maybe it's because of the new rumored Galaxy F, they say the GS5 will be cheaper than the GS4 so it kinda makes sense.

ar216893

Aug 29, 2013
Yogyakarta
no, the material is no problem for me.
what maters to me is:
1. back cover design. I'm not type of people who like to use colorful case, I like the transparent one so when I use my phone, people will know what phone I'm using. And that design is not work for me. I personally more like pattern of the S4 back cover. It feels more elegant to my eyes. And don't say those faux leather in note 3. I like it almost. So if the S5 use those like in note 3. I'll be more attract to s5 rather than z2.
2. the battery. It's already boosted 200 mAh from the s4. That's great but not enough. I own myself a S4. It's pretty durable when use power saving mode. but that's where I hate it. When in power saving mode. When I move from outdoor to an indoor place. The screen is very2 dark and I almost can't see it. I don't know about this mode in S5, or the stamina mode in sony device. If same as in my S4, then I need bigger battery for my next phone so I can use it in full day without those power saving things.
3. As like many other people in xda discuss it about when it's first implemented. knox things. I hate when samsung finally use it. I know it's just a flag, but I didn't know how the regulation about that knox warranty here in my country. And if that knox used as one of main upgrade (like that knox countainer in S4 upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3), obviously we here can't use it. And make the upgrade less.. useful I guess. Since phone performance will not dramatically change because the phone still have same component :confused:

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
People aren't complaining because of plastic. The problem is the hype created becacuse of rumored UHD screen, 64bit processor, a giant battery and even the deal Sammy made with Google. I don't know if 3gb are really is necessary or not, I never used more than 1.3GB but 32GB of storage would be nice. Maybe it's because of the new rumored Galaxy F, they say the GS5 will be cheaper than the GS4 so it kinda makes sense.
The only thing is, who put out these rumors? Samsung never hinted at any of these.

If the phone were metal, it would be metal. Samsung has always used a good grade of plastic for their high end devices and I prefer plastic over metal for my phone. The design is not ugly either, to me it is a decent design but it's also an uninspiring design looking at two factors.

1. Samsung claimed that the S5 would have a new design, claiming they will go back to the basics with this design.

2. The design looks like the past offerings. I understand brand identity, but aside from the back and the usb port, the design almost matches the S4 and a smaller version of the Note 3.

seoulbrova

Oct 21, 2010
Waterproof because that's an issue the masses have right? People jumping on the ones who aren't blindly following samsung are equally as annoying.

It should have better material along with a fresh look. It should have a newer version of TW that looks/ feels new and doesn't crush 8+GB of storage. It should focus a little on the sound quality.

The HTC One had a totally revamped design and revamped version of Sense and it only won smartphone of the year. If this phone didn't say Samsung, it would be a huge fail

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

judging by the released shots of the next gen HTC one, it looks nearly identical to this generations.

Waterproof isnt an issue? Do you know how many people get denied service on their phones for "water damage" even though the phones were never dropped in water? I've had it happen to me multiple times merely because steam/rain/humidity turn the sensors on to indicate water damage even though Ive made sure they never got wet.

skivnit

May 21, 2012
People can be such hypocrites sometimes, everyone was bashing the iPhone for being the same thing over and over again, then it was samsung and everyone hailed the HTC one, now they are going to release the exact same phone let's hear how they gonna defend that. Problem is its very hard and costly to come out with different designs especially when you're releasing more than one device a year. I don't like the s5 and don't think will buy it

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: md1008

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
I don't care about plastic or metal but let's face ever since the s3 samsung has put out extremely fragile phones that are prone to cracking. The s2 was made from plastic but it could take a beating not the s3 or s4. I use to see cracked iPhone 4 screens but since the iPhone 5 I see less cracked iphones and more and more cracked Samsung's.

The Nexus 5 is made from plastic but it has a very nice feel and feels more durable

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ktouy

May 24, 2012
Pinar
If it was metal then when it falls and reach the floor the repair cost will be double at least...

...the tiny italic text...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't mind the plastic at all. Too many people complain about it not being metal. Plastic is lightweight, less prone to scratches or damages when dropped, and you can remove the cover for the battery/SD card, which is always a good thing.

People can be such hypocrites sometimes, everyone was bashing the iPhone for being the same thing over and over again, then it was samsung and everyone hailed the HTC one, now they are going to release the exact same phone let's hear how they gonna defend that. Problem is its very hard and costly to come out with different designs especially when you're releasing more than one device a year. I don't like the s5 and don't think will buy it

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Metal is overrated.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I don't get the whole fad with metal, yea sure it looks nice and feels nice to hold providing its not cold outside or hot outside but its not durable. I have a HTC one and i have to keep it in a case as i dont want it to get scratched or chipped etc and having a plastic case or leather casde or whatever case just ruins the whole point of holding/looking at that metal design anyway.

With the s4 i didn't have to have a case nor worry about it getting scratched or chipped etc. I prefer the plastic design one thing i am not a fan of though on the S5 is the dotted pattern on the back and overall its not as good looking as the S4 but thats minor i still like it.