[4.4.x][OFFICIAL][NIGHTLIES][UNIFIED][jflte] Omni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
DO NOT post in this thread until you have read the first three posts and last two pages of this thread in their entirety!

"Me Too" posts for known issues with no useful debugging information WILL BE REPORTED.

What is Omni?

Omni Gerrit Review

OmniLog - changelog

Disclaimer
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
 */

ROM:
Omni for Samsung Galaxy S 4

Gapps:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
(recommend the MODULAR FULL package, however, keep in mind that the STOCK package is intended for Nexus devices)

UPDATE FROM VARIANT OMNI BUILD TO UNIFIED BUILD
Backup your apps and other pertinent data and DO A FULL WIPE.
Don't complain about it. Just do it. If you try to post bug reports or complaints and you have not conducted a wipe of:
  • /system
  • /data
  • /cache
  • /dalvik
    I will completely and utterly ignore you, as well as report your post for not reading the clearly posted rules at the top of this post.

UPDATE FROM OMNI VIA OPEN DELTA UPDATER
Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates unless it is explicitly stated or you start having strange issues.

Omni only supports TWRP recovery, use any alternate recovery at your own risk.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_samsung_jf

XDA:DevDB Information
Omni for Galaxy S4, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
jakew02, xplodwild
Source Code: http://www.github.com/omnirom/

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information

Created 2014-05-28
Last Updated 2015-04-20

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Important Information

This is NOT the place to ask questions like:
  • When will <feature> be included?
  • Is <feature> included yet?
  • Can you bring <feature> to Omni?
  • ETAs of any nature

Follow the rules. This is a new thread and it WILL remain clean and ON TOPIC. I will immediately report any off-topic posts, trolling, flaming, etc. of any sort. This is a DEVELOPMENT thread, and as such, has been posted in the DEVELOPMENT section.

INCLUDE LOGS when reported a bug. Even if you think that you might be the only one with the bug, POST LOGS, that will help narrow down the issue about 100 million times! :)

Explore the ROM a bit before posting here things like " WHERE IS <feature> CAN YOU ADD FEATURE etc. etc.
You have to understand, that gets extremely annoying after 50 posts like that. Most features can be seen on the blog or in the MERGED section of gerrit.

Root IS NOT included with Omni by default, so you will need to flash SuperSU in recovery SuperSU

How to build Omni from sources:
OmniROM - Setting Up A Compile Environment

Bug Reports and Feature Requests
jira.omnirom.org

Last edited:

buzzwyzr

Jul 26, 2010
Woodland
Using 052814 unified build with 052414 full modular gapps...ROM boots but gets stuck at the "setup wizard". After you select your language and press the white triangle it reads " Welcome...please wait a few minutes" for a minute or so...the the screen goes black except for the status bar and the backlights on the hardware keys stay on.

I clean flashed twice then downloaded the ROM and gapps for a 2nd time then clean flashed those twice...all with the same results as described above.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

rabiny

Feb 25, 2011
Hello,

I know one can flash the 9505 rom on the i337m becuse the bootloader is not locked, but what about the AT&T version (i337), can i flash this (jflte) version on my i337 ?

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Hello,

I know one can flash the 9505 rom on the i337m becuse the bootloader is not locked, but what about the AT&T version (i337), can i flash this (jflte) version on my i337 ?

Yes. If you notice, I closed the individual variant threads and put a direct link to this thread. Basically, you can see a list of supported variants by checking this:

https://github.com/omnirom/android_device_samsung_jflte/blob/android-4.4/BoardConfig.mk#L129

That is the list of device asserts that the updater-script will accept.

Using 052814 unified build with 052414 full modular gapps...ROM boots but gets stuck at the "setup wizard". After you select your language and press the white triangle it reads " Welcome...please wait a few minutes" for a minute or so...the the screen goes black except for the status bar and the backlights on the hardware keys stay on.

I clean flashed twice then downloaded the ROM and gapps for a 2nd time then clean flashed those twice...all with the same results as described above.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I just flashed the 05/28 nightly (on my jfltespr) with the 4-16 Minimal PA Gapps with absolutely no errors. This most definitely sounds like a Gapps problem to me, since the SetupWizard is not packaged or built with the ROM, but instead flashed with Gapps. This is why if you were to NOT flash a Gapps package, you don't have to run through it.

Last edited:

rabiny

Feb 25, 2011
Yes. If you notice, I closed the individual variant threads and put a direct link to this thread. Basically, you can see a list of supported variants by checking this:

https://github.com/omnirom/android_device_samsung_jflte/blob/android-4.4/BoardConfig.mk#L129

That is the list of device asserts that the updater-script will accept.

Thank you for the quick reply,
What about the locked bootloader, Are there any points I should pay attention to ?
Or i can just download the recent file (from http://dl.omnirom.org/jflte/) and flash it over my current version (jflteatt)

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Thank you for the quick reply,
What about the locked bootloader, Are there any points I should pay attention to ?
Or i can just download the recent file (from http://dl.omnirom.org/jflte/) and flash it over my current version (jflteatt)

If you are already running Omni then you're fine. Just follow the instructions from the OP.

These instructions are written under the assumption that you know how to root and install a custom recovery.

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rabiny

djbootleg

May 8, 2009
flashed the 30th nightly, thought of asking about two things,

1. why does the initial setup page needs a working data connection?
2. i lost root after a clean install, am i missing something?

the root apk has to be flashed via recovery as stated on the first page post.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Hello Jakew02

I moved over to your latest rom yesterday the 5/29 nightly and i came across a couple issues.

i have been using cm mod since the days of android cupcake and decided to try this out.

1st issue is when im trying to lower the phone ringer volume, it always goes to lower the sounds/music volume. it is pretty annoying because i have to make all the sliders come out and manually slide the phone ringer volume. even after switching between apps and what not it insists on lowering the music volume.
2nd issue is i cannot get the multi window to work or how to enable it. i have downloaded and installed these apps :halo)),multiwindowsidebar, toggle multiwindow, xhalo floating, xmultiwindow, and xposed installer. also the fixvisibilityofmultiplenonulls. Any help on getting it to work will be appreciated. i am very new to this feature since ive never had it in CM since i thought u couldnt get it, only on Stock Samsung roms.

lastly, is there any way to add shortcuts to the unlock slider like in cm?

thanks

Reactions: bala_gamer

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
the root apk has to be flashed via recovery as stated on the first page post.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Hello Jakew02

I moved over to your latest rom yesterday the 5/29 nightly and i came across a couple issues.

i have been using cm mod since the days of android cupcake and decided to try this out.

1st issue is when im trying to lower the phone ringer volume, it always goes to lower the sounds/music volume. it is pretty annoying because i have to make all the sliders come out and manually slide the phone ringer volume. even after switching between apps and what not it insists on lowering the music volume.
2nd issue is i cannot get the multi window to work or how to enable it. i have downloaded and installed these apps :halo)),multiwindowsidebar, toggle multiwindow, xhalo floating, xmultiwindow, and xposed installer. also the fixvisibilityofmultiplenonulls. Any help on getting it to work will be appreciated. i am very new to this feature since ive never had it in CM since i thought u couldnt get it, only on Stock Samsung roms.

lastly, is there any way to add shortcuts to the unlock slider like in cm?

thanks

These aren't issues or bugs at all; you just haven't looked around the settings.

all of your questions can be answered by just looking through the settings.

OP updated, please re-read it.

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
i have stated multiple times that kernel developers will need to begin released "omni-based" kernels.

I WILL NOT alter this ROM to accommodate custom kernels. the kernels need to change to be compatible with the ROM.

Custom kernels will not just magically start working. Kernel developers need to remove the flo adreno drivers and related commits from their kernels. If they don't know which commits those are, they can simply cherry-pick this commit: https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_samsung_jf/commit/068449af3996f1072c80dcc4a09a88af43abd7f7

contained in that commit is all of the reverts needed to make a cyanogenmod-based kernel work with Omni.

I have spoken with @Entropy512 about this a few times and we both agreed that we will NOT be altering the ROM in order to this one device to be able to use flo adreno stuff. That's just stupid and causes more work and problems for everyone else.

So the bottom line on this is, if you want a custom kernel, ask your kernel devs to cherry-pick the above commit and release Omni kernels separately from CM-based one.

If anyone has a problem with this, well, gerrit is free to use and open to all.

As before I will use this comparison to better justify my decision:

You wouldn't buy a Playstation controller(an accessory) to use with your Xbox(a primary), once you get home and realize it doesn't work because it's designed for something other than what you have, you call Microsoft and demand that they make the Xbox(primary) work with Playstation controllers(accessory)?

Absolutely Not. If ANYTHING, you would call Sony and demand that they make their controllers(accessory) work with the xbox system.

Hope this clarifies that issue a little better for everyone.

Also on another note:

I have narrowed down the camera preview freeze down to one repository

Jake the only reason I asked was because I did a bit of testing for you where the testbuild had support for custom kernels and you said that it should be fixed and you would push the change when you could. I even followed up with you at a later time and you said you hadn't had time/inclination to do it yet. I'm not demanding anything of you and I didn't want to bug you with the issue so I asked someone else who was in similar territory. Had I known about your changed stance on the issue, I wouldn't have brought it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sorry, i've been VERY busy.

UPDATES:

Jake announced a while ago he was planning on dropping jflte due to lack of time.

He wound up unable to sell his jflte, so there's a chance that if he has time it'll get support, but in general, lack of time is proving to be a major issue for many of us. We're way behind as a result... Many of us have non-Android stuff going on, some of us are in the process of planning some Android-related stuff that is causing delays now but will hopefully have positive benefits in the long run. One thing being discussed is a few projects getting together to create a project dedicated to hardware support, strictly limited to only hardware stuff. Other projects could use that project as a base. (In some ways, we had visions of something like this with Omni, but as we didn't strictly limit scope to hardware, we sort of became "just another project" with the main benefit being we coordinated with other projects much better than in the past.)

yea, just to confirm, i WILL be working on galaxy s4.

I have put it on hold until I finish my note 10 kernel, but i just finished the last of the file merges, and now will begin the endless compilation error from merge derps healing process.

But to clarify to everyone: THERE WILL BE android-5.0 for galaxy s4 jflte QUALCOMM VARIANTS ONLY (sorry exynos)

Kernel merge complete for note 10(2014) , just need to fix it up and I'll start on jflte. :good:
    DO NOT post in this thread until you have read the first three posts and last two pages of this thread in their entirety!

"Me Too" posts for known issues with no useful debugging information WILL BE REPORTED.

What is Omni?

Omni Gerrit Review

OmniLog - changelog

Disclaimer
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */

ROM:
    Omni for Samsung Galaxy S 4

Gapps:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
    (recommend the MODULAR FULL package, however, keep in mind that the STOCK package is intended for Nexus devices)

UPDATE FROM VARIANT OMNI BUILD TO UNIFIED BUILD
    Backup your apps and other pertinent data and DO A FULL WIPE.
    Don't complain about it. Just do it. If you try to post bug reports or complaints and you have not conducted a wipe of:
    • /system
    • /data
    • /cache
    • /dalvik
      I will completely and utterly ignore you, as well as report your post for not reading the clearly posted rules at the top of this post.

UPDATE FROM OMNI VIA OPEN DELTA UPDATER
    Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
    You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates unless it is explicitly stated or you start having strange issues.

Omni only supports TWRP recovery, use any alternate recovery at your own risk.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_samsung_jf

XDA:DevDB Information
    Omni for Galaxy S4, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    jakew02, xplodwild
    Source Code: http://www.github.com/omnirom/

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information

Created 2014-05-28
    Last Updated 2015-04-20
    next 4.4 nightly will be fixed.

hoping to have 5.1 builds ready soon, just need to fix some stuff, but mostly everything is working on them.
    here's a build i just made with the updated gpu drivers, meaning you can use custom kernels on this one until the nightlies are up to speed

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6934

I'm still working on narrowing down exactly which specific commits in the repo are required, but i'll make sure to let you guys know as soon as the nightlies have them merged. until then, I can just post nightly builds in here for you guys with the required changes :good:

Oh yea, and with the audio HAL , hotword detection works again :highfive:

so to my knowledge:

TO-DO:
    • HDR (will probably wait for the camera to be rebased)
    • You tell me?!?
    I am dropping support for jflte once L source is released. I have too much going on with 18 credits per semester and my other projects.

The device trees and everything will remain on github and gerrit so if a brave souls decides to take the challenge of bringing the device up, the tools are available for you.