[Q] Verizon Note II I605VRUFND7 install on VRALJB, need new kernel?

Search This thread

ac1675

Nov 12, 2011
So I rooted a Note II,which had never been updated from VRALJB. using the NO YOU casual injection

I updated TWRP from 2.5 -> 2.6.3.1

loaded ROM:
[ROM][I605VRUFND7][4.4.2]OFFICIAL STOCK (its the leaked)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2765021

Waiting on the red screen for about 20 minutes now. Should I have changed the kernel from what it was originally (never took an update)? I want to be sure the bootloader doesn't get relocked. I'm hoping I didn't need to update the kernel before I installed this ROM. No one really said what to do, so I went ahead with it.

Of course my post count is less than 10 so I can't ask those who are actually installing now. And because I'm in a rush, and the rules of the forums, I left off the title. So if you get to the bottom of this and realize you just wasted 5 minutes, sorry, thank a spammer.

Last edited:

KuNiT

May 9, 2012
Stock ROM with Odin?

You probably just need to flash MJ9 firmware via ODIN and repeat process. Read Beans (Alliance) thread or others for directions. I would probably update to the latest of TWRP though, double check that though.

ac1675

Nov 12, 2011
It originally was stock VRALJB. rooted via Casual NO YOU method. After I rooted via casual method, I didn't replace the stock with a different ROM via Odin, but according the the threads to root, I could have just flashed new ROMs via TWRP. I was taking the advice per Adam Outler in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2045563 which he suggest don't use Odin unless absolutely necessary. And I've been upgrading my motherboard on my workstation, which is what I normally use to connect to phone. My laptop can't hold a steady connection to the samsung because of drivers, it's pretty frustrating and something I gave up since I figured out that it was just easier to have the desktop do it, but right now thats not an option because it's in pieces.

But my problem is exactly the same as this guy, post #93 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2765021&page=10

I did manage to follow the steps he used (post #99), which was to wipe, wipe, ROM, then Agni kernel. It took, and seemingly no problems. But when I go to get on wifi this morning, it wouldn't start. Trying to toggle the switch wouldn't work, and trying to hotspot it led to "error".

Thanks for helping out.

I'll look around to see if I can find the Red Beans Alliance thread. I thought maybe I needed an MJ9 FW, but I wasn't sure how to put it on (trying to stay away from Odin). That guy posted that he was coming from 4.1.2, which I was coming from 4.1.1.

thanks again.

funnyperson1

Jul 17, 2007
It originally was stock VRALJB. rooted via Casual NO YOU method. After I rooted via casual method, I didn't replace the stock with a different ROM via Odin, but according the the threads to root, I could have just flashed new ROMs via TWRP. I was taking the advice per Adam Outler in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2045563 which he suggest don't use Odin unless absolutely necessary. And I've been upgrading my motherboard on my workstation, which is what I normally use to connect to phone. My laptop can't hold a steady connection to the samsung because of drivers, it's pretty frustrating and something I gave up since I figured out that it was just easier to have the desktop do it, but right now thats not an option because it's in pieces.

But my problem is exactly the same as this guy, post #93 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2765021&page=10

I did manage to follow the steps he used (post #99), which was to wipe, wipe, ROM, then Agni kernel. It took, and seemingly no problems. But when I go to get on wifi this morning, it wouldn't start. Trying to toggle the switch wouldn't work, and trying to hotspot it led to "error".

Thanks for helping out.

I'll look around to see if I can find the Red Beans Alliance thread. I thought maybe I needed an MJ9 FW, but I wasn't sure how to put it on (trying to stay away from Odin). That guy posted that he was coming from 4.1.2, which I was coming from 4.1.1.

thanks again.

You do need to Odin the MJ9 firmware to get WiFi working.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ac1675

Nov 12, 2011
Yeh, that did it. My NFC doesn't work, but I'm not sure if that is a problem with the ROM itself, rather than not having proper driver and modem loaded.

Thanks again.

I did try to load the modem from MJ9 zip through TWRP, but didn't seem to work.

funnyperson1

Jul 17, 2007
Yeh, that did it. My NFC doesn't work, but I'm not sure if that is a problem with the ROM itself, rather than not having proper driver and modem loaded.

Thanks again.

I did try to load the modem from MJ9 zip through TWRP, but didn't seem to work.
Well it may work once the ND7 firmware is released. From an update to the thread you linked it should be tomorrow.

Nfc works fine on the Sr MJ9 based rom I'm running.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ac1675

Nov 12, 2011
Well the ND7 takes care of part of it. But with the ROM, then I no longer have root. And using the built ROM, I was having the same problems as others. I'll report back, I thought it might have something to do with TWRP, because even when I flashed the update superSu from Beans thread, still couldn't get root back.