Safe mode in Android - what to do if you see that label on your screen

Has you ever experienced Safe mode on your Android system?

• Yes, I have!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I did not know Safe mode existed.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I hope I never install an app like this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

ronbo76

Nov 13, 2009
Today I accidently entered Safe Mode on my ICS 4.04 Haipai i9200 phone and a user in our thread knew that most Android phones have this feature. Here is what I wrote and it applies to most Android phone systems. If you see the words, "Safe mode" in the lower left corner of their phone and or experiencing boot loop due to force closure. Here is what I wrote:

robarnold is right about Safe Mode and the article he posted (which is now linked in my quoted reply) provides more information about Safe Mode. Please see the attached picture to see what Safe Mode looks like on our phones. If your phone were to enter Safe Mode, those words would appear on all your screens. As per the article, most if not all your apps will be suspended or not work.

Basically there are two known ways to enter Safe Mode:

1. Android detects a problem with a newly installed app and force-closes it while entering into Safe Mode.

2. A combination of key presses at power application;

Newly installed app force-closes the system
The gist of the article provided by Rob says that if a newly installed app causes system conflicts, Android will force close that app to prevent it from possibly doing malicious harm. At the same time, Android will suspend the majority of all other apps and display "Safe mode" in the lower left corner of your phone as per the picture.

The reason for this is to provide the user an opportunity to clean the system of the app which is causing the force closure. Chances are it the most recent app installed but it could be a combination of apps that are coming into conflict with one another.

If you suspect a newly installed app of causing this problem and you see Safe Mode on screen, STOP, COLLECT YOUR WITS and BREATHE NORMALLY. You have several options.

SAFE MODE OPTIONS
1. Press the System or Menu Button in the lower left corner and navigate to Manage apps.

2. Find the most recent app you installed.

3. Force close it.

4. Disable it if possible.

5. Remove this app.

6. Reboot the boot to see if the Safe mode is gone.

If the Safe mode label is still present, the article suggests that it may be necessary to press several keys to achieve the removal of the Safe mode label and its effect of suspending the other apps. In essence, we now move to the second discussion of entry into Safe mode:

1. Safe mode can be entered by pressing buttons at start-up. Most likely, this is what I did today as I was getting ready to leave for an appointment. The Safe Mode label freaked me out and when I could use the Rebooter app or any other app, I became scared.

2. I don't know exactly which buttons I pressed but it mostly likely was the System and Home (center big button) and maybe even the Escape/Back button on the right. My phone slipped slightly as I turned it on and my left thumb was flying as I manuevered my left hand to balance the phone.

3. The right combination of buttons, which supposedly are the same to enter Safe Mode, are the same to exit Safe Mode.

4. If you are certain you entered Safe Mode by accident - meaning you know you did not recently or just now installed an app that force closed Android, then you just have to find the combo to exit it.

5. The article suggests that pressing the volume buttons might clear the Safe Mode on the first reboot after initial entry into Safe Mode.

6. If the Safe Mode label disappears after pressing the volume buttons, your phone is okay.

7. If the label is still present, try rebooting the phone again.

The article suggests as per my experience that if you cannot clear the Safe Mode, your last resort is to do a factory reset of the phone. Fortunately in my case, I had ClockworkMod Recovery available and restored my system via a backup recovery.

ronbo's Final Thoughts

Hope I never see Safe Mode again (and, I won't go looking for it) but I recommend you learn how to do a Factory Reset by pressing and holding the Volume Down Button with a simultaneous press of the Power Button. You want to see the Factory Test and Reset Menu when you are calm. TRUST ME ON THAT!

Hi,
Yes safe mode exists and is a useful if not essential tool for those of who like to experiment with their Android devices.
I'd suggest that it will always be worthwhile to know how to access Safe Mode and recover from it if you are going to install unsigned apps.
The following link may more useful to those who would like to know more:

http://www.tested.com/news/feature/3071-how-to-use-androids-safe-mode-to-save-a-phone-from-boot-loops/.

Cheers
Rob

Appalbarry

Mar 13, 2013
Safe Mode = Wet Phone

Just a quick note for anyone who runs into the variation of this problem that I had today.

Using my Nexus S today in the rain. Phone got wet. Specifically, damp got into both the Power button and the Volume rocker.

The result was when the phone was restarted (after I removed the battery and dried it out) it came up in Safe Mode.

Which is how I wound up here.

(Minor site quibble: in the course of registering here and making this ONE post, I've been subjected to FOUR captchas. I like sharing information, but this is really WAY more nuisance than is worth it for me.)

guih

Jan 5, 2011
Just a quick note for anyone who runs into the variation of this problem that I had today.

Using my Nexus S today in the rain. Phone got wet. Specifically, damp got into both the Power button and the Volume rocker.

The result was when the phone was restarted (after I removed the battery and dried it out) it came up in Safe Mode.

(Minor site quibble: in the course of registering here and making this ONE post, I've been subjected to FOUR captchas. I like sharing information, but this is really WAY more nuisance than is worth it for me.)

I have this same issue except my phone doesn't have a removable battery (evo 4g lte). My down volume button doesn't work and I can't seem to escape safe mode no matter what I do :confused: help?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SupraLance

Nov 12, 2010
Stone County, Missouri
A work-around for phones stuck in safe mode due to water damage etc but that seem to work fine otherwise is to convert the (trusted) apps you need from data apps to system apps (move the .apk from /data/app to /system/app after installing via the Play Store). You may need to use Mounts2Sd or something similar with an sd-ext partition if you don't have enough space in your internal /system partition for all the apps you need. (With Mounts2Sd, placing the apps in /data/app-system on the sd-ext partition will fool the phone into thinking the apps are in /system/app and you can then use them in safe mode). If anybody is aware of a simpler script that does the same thing, please lmk.

If this helps you, please hit the Thanks button.

Reactions: MarsWalker

khaledreno

Feb 25, 2013
Cairo
i have this on my tab 3 i can't exit from it tried reboot and factory restart and shut down

what is the solution ?

Lawrence kunhi

Aug 8, 2014
Same issue here...

I am facing the same problem. I had used my phone in rain. Now the volume down and power button are not working. And the most irritating part is that it rebooted into Safe mode which I dont like. Done factory resetting which took me from safe mode but the volume down and power buttons are still not working.

Anyone knowing how to get rid of these, please share it... Thanks in advance !!!

bavarezul13

Jan 8, 2014
I am facing the same problem. I had used my phone in rain. Now the volume down and power button are not working. And the most irritating part is that it rebooted into Safe mode which I dont like. Done factory resetting which took me from safe mode but the volume down and power buttons are still not working.

Anyone knowing how to get rid of these, please share it... Thanks in advance !!!

How did u get rid of "safe mode"? I have vol down stuck and phone always goes into safe mode :(
I tried a factory reset from setting>backup and reset>factory data reset and phone shuts down...the i have to press power button and phone gets into safe mode again.

nowitzkihater

Dec 8, 2014
got the same problem with my lenovo a859. it got wet and now just boots into recovery where i can not choose any other options besides the first (reboot system now). Is there any way to start the phone/ do a factory reset?

Eagleman71

Dec 4, 2007
I have a parental control program on my kids phone.
Safe mode of course enables to erase it.
Is it a way on a rooted android to disable it?

pdastapure

Nov 12, 2016
Turn off safe mode

Yes, safe mode does exist. It is the default mode in your android phone without extra apps installed. When in safe mode you cannot use your favourite apps. I understand it can get irritating some times.
You can try rebooting your phone. It worked for me.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

If that does not work, here's a guide that helped me exit safe mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today I accidently entered Safe Mode on my ICS 4.04 Haipai i9200 phone and a user in our thread knew that most Android phones have this feature. Here is what I wrote and it applies to most Android phone systems. If you see the words, "Safe mode" in the lower left corner of their phone and or experiencing boot loop due to force closure. Here is what I wrote:

robarnold is right about Safe Mode and the article he posted (which is now linked in my quoted reply) provides more information about Safe Mode. Please see the attached picture to see what Safe Mode looks like on our phones. If your phone were to enter Safe Mode, those words would appear on all your screens. As per the article, most if not all your apps will be suspended or not work.

Basically there are two known ways to enter Safe Mode:

1. Android detects a problem with a newly installed app and force-closes it while entering into Safe Mode.

2. A combination of key presses at power application;

Newly installed app force-closes the system
    The gist of the article provided by Rob says that if a newly installed app causes system conflicts, Android will force close that app to prevent it from possibly doing malicious harm. At the same time, Android will suspend the majority of all other apps and display "Safe mode" in the lower left corner of your phone as per the picture.

The reason for this is to provide the user an opportunity to clean the system of the app which is causing the force closure. Chances are it the most recent app installed but it could be a combination of apps that are coming into conflict with one another.

If you suspect a newly installed app of causing this problem and you see Safe Mode on screen, STOP, COLLECT YOUR WITS and BREATHE NORMALLY. You have several options.

SAFE MODE OPTIONS
    1. Press the System or Menu Button in the lower left corner and navigate to Manage apps.

2. Find the most recent app you installed.

3. Force close it.

4. Disable it if possible.

5. Remove this app.

6. Reboot the boot to see if the Safe mode is gone.

If the Safe mode label is still present, the article suggests that it may be necessary to press several keys to achieve the removal of the Safe mode label and its effect of suspending the other apps. In essence, we now move to the second discussion of entry into Safe mode:

1. Safe mode can be entered by pressing buttons at start-up. Most likely, this is what I did today as I was getting ready to leave for an appointment. The Safe Mode label freaked me out and when I could use the Rebooter app or any other app, I became scared.

2. I don't know exactly which buttons I pressed but it mostly likely was the System and Home (center big button) and maybe even the Escape/Back button on the right. My phone slipped slightly as I turned it on and my left thumb was flying as I manuevered my left hand to balance the phone.

3. The right combination of buttons, which supposedly are the same to enter Safe Mode, are the same to exit Safe Mode.

4. If you are certain you entered Safe Mode by accident - meaning you know you did not recently or just now installed an app that force closed Android, then you just have to find the combo to exit it.

5. The article suggests that pressing the volume buttons might clear the Safe Mode on the first reboot after initial entry into Safe Mode.

6. If the Safe Mode label disappears after pressing the volume buttons, your phone is okay.

7. If the label is still present, try rebooting the phone again.

The article suggests as per my experience that if you cannot clear the Safe Mode, your last resort is to do a factory reset of the phone. Fortunately in my case, I had ClockworkMod Recovery available and restored my system via a backup recovery.

ronbo's Final Thoughts

Hope I never see Safe Mode again (and, I won't go looking for it) but I recommend you learn how to do a Factory Reset by pressing and holding the Volume Down Button with a simultaneous press of the Power Button. You want to see the Factory Test and Reset Menu when you are calm. TRUST ME ON THAT!

Hi,
    Yes safe mode exists and is a useful if not essential tool for those of who like to experiment with their Android devices.
    I'd suggest that it will always be worthwhile to know how to access Safe Mode and recover from it if you are going to install unsigned apps.
    The following link may more useful to those who would like to know more:

http://www.tested.com/news/feature/3071-how-to-use-androids-safe-mode-to-save-a-phone-from-boot-loops/.

Cheers
    Rob

whoa !!! I just did boot up my xolo a500 in sage mode . I was shocked . so I just pulled my battery and re insterted it . now its normal
    A work-around for phones stuck in safe mode due to water damage etc but that seem to work fine otherwise is to convert the (trusted) apps you need from data apps to system apps (move the .apk from /data/app to /system/app after installing via the Play Store). You may need to use Mounts2Sd or something similar with an sd-ext partition if you don't have enough space in your internal /system partition for all the apps you need. (With Mounts2Sd, placing the apps in /data/app-system on the sd-ext partition will fool the phone into thinking the apps are in /system/app and you can then use them in safe mode). If anybody is aware of a simpler script that does the same thing, please lmk.

If this helps you, please hit the Thanks button.