What's the difference between a Google Nexus 7 and a Asus Nexus 7

Search This thread

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
According to Google yesterday there are 2 versions of the Nexus 7.

A Google Nexus 7 and an Asus Nexus 7.

Google have no control apparently as to what software setup Asus produce on their version.

Now, I think this sounds like b*ll**** but I pressed Google yesterday and it might be they had an amount of devices made for them, and then Asus deals direct with everyone else.

Does anyone know if there are actually any differences, software, or hardware?

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland

Google have no control apparently as to what software setup Asus produce on their version.

Now, I think this sounds like b*ll**** but I pressed Google yesterday and it might be they had an amount of devices made for them, and then Asus deals direct with everyone else.

Do you have a link to your source?

P1 Wookie

Jun 10, 2011
South Carolina
It just means Asus shipped straight to retailers. The ones bought through play were shipped to Google from Asus to be shipped. Hence why Google had more control over their release. There is nothing different.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Perhaps its similar to the gsm galaxy nexus. Only yakju and takju get updates from Google.

All other variants: yakjuxw, yakjujp, etc. Get their updates from Samsung. Which include a long wait.

redmonke255

Jan 12, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like another Google oops we f'd up.

Here's two lessons for Google don't use UPS or ASUS ever again.

Live learn and move on good thing I don't worry about stock updates. Buy a cheap device be prepared to pay the developers for what you need.

Are you kidding me? Who else should they use? Asus is the leader of Android tablets.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

angermeans

Mar 31, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
ASUS being be leader of Android tablets is not saying much. I owned the Prime and it was horrible and full of bugs. ASUS in my opinion doesn't make the best hardware and is horrible at software. My brother in law has the new 3000 or whatever and that one has many problems too. I hope my N7 is much better than my Prime that's all I can say.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

oliverredfox

Dec 1, 2006
My box says, "NEXUS 7 ASUS, BRN, GL, GPS, 1G DDR3L, NFC". I assume the BRN would stand for brown. And while it looks black to me, it could technically be a super dark brown vs a pure black (not that anyone's eyes would know the difference).

Reactions: jptech

jptech

May 13, 2009
Miami
My box says, "NEXUS 7 ASUS, BRN, GL, GPS, 1G DDR3L, NFC". I assume the BRN would stand for brown. And while it looks black to me, it could technically be a super dark brown vs a pure black (not that anyone's eyes would know the difference).

Thanks for the info. I wonder why the box would have to specify all of that info. We know its got a gps and 1GB of DDR3 and has NFC, why do they need to say that?

rootblock

Jun 30, 2010

toker_X1

Feb 1, 2009
London
Ummm.
I have just ordered a 'Brown' one from CarPhoneWarehouse, they are only retailer in UK currently with stock.

Invoice as follows..

Google Nexus 7 16GB by Asus - Brown Standalone
Product Code 18283924 Quality 1

I hope there aint two versions ASUS and Google as I would prefer the Google version, should I have waited from Google Store to restock?

Rock-&-Roll-Hedgehog

Jul 7, 2012

I was told the exact same thing by a Google customer service rep the other week. And like you I didn't know if it was bollocks or not.

hullbay

Jul 7, 2012
FL
It just means Asus shipped straight to retailers. The ones bought through play were shipped to Google from Asus to be shipped. Hence why Google had more control over their release. There is nothing different.

So who will handle the warranties? Google says them, Asus says them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What terrible lighting. I don't know what to make of this thread. Is there really a brown one?

Just got mine. It's brown. Pretty dark brown, but brown. And it says so on the sticker on the box too.
    My 27 June preorder from Playstore is labeled: NEXUS7,Brown,GL,GPS,1G DDR3L,NFC.

Darkest brown I ever saw - I would call it black.

Google does not manufacture the Nexus 7 - these are all Asus products.

Warrantee card says Asus - although I would go to Google if I had issues.

Here again, I would take what Google CS says with a grain of salt - these are just people, and possibly temps
    At this point, regular XDA posters know more about the product than Google CS does.