stupid question needs clarification

Search This thread

pierhogunn

Aug 29, 2008
why flash the rom on your phone?

which custom rom does what?

any specific rom for specific purposes?

and finally, what is the best place to start learning about how to do this...

Dan

cd85233

Jun 21, 2007
why flash the rom on your phone?

which custom rom does what?

any specific rom for specific purposes?

and finally, what is the best place to start learning about how to do this...

Dan
To get certain things that stock ROMS don't have. Like: Speed, not loaded with Carrier crap.

The ROM post should have info about what is included and what isn't.

Some are made to have more RAM some are made to run Smoother.

Wiki.

I might be wrong, but that is what I have learned overtime.

Cranemachine

Dec 3, 2008
Good Question

I am glad you asked this because I have been wondering the same thing.

I have the VZW Touch Pro and was reading a LOT on unlocking and then flashing ROMs. I didnt know really what the benefits were besides speed and making it smoother. Does the ROM allow you to have better themes?

Eventually (sooner than later I think) they will be able to unlock the GPS on VZW as well.

I really wish somebody could post a video or something on YouTube on either how to go about the process or what it looks like after flashing a custom ROM.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
I am glad you asked this because I have been wondering the same thing.

I have the VZW Touch Pro and was reading a LOT on unlocking and then flashing ROMs. I didnt know really what the benefits were besides speed and making it smoother. Does the ROM allow you to have better themes?

Eventually (sooner than later I think) they will be able to unlock the GPS on VZW as well.

I really wish somebody could post a video or something on YouTube on either how to go about the process or what it looks like after flashing a custom ROM.

Custom ROM"s are highly varried. You need to try them out.

I created a Custom ROM that allows you to stay with the 100% stock look, MUCH MUCH faster than ROM that came with phone.

Lots of others add a bunch of crapware and bloatware to the ROM. I didint do that to this one. I left it stock. It runs very fast.

Custom ROM"s also remove some securuity features like when youa re installing an app you are not questioned if its what you really want to do... Etc...]

Custom ROM's can also c ome with differnt themes like you inquired. They can com completly set up or come completely base. It all depends on what you want to download.

pierhogunn

Aug 29, 2008
My Carrier is Sprint,

I am fairly happy with the phone as is

My only gripes are that:
it is not as responsive going from app to app as I would like
some of the apps I will never use, like the Sprint music store...

I love to diddle and play with my hardware

I do like touch-flo 3D, I think it's a nice UI, I just wish it was a bit more responsive

Dan

Cranemachine

Dec 3, 2008
Custom ROM"s are highly varried. You need to try them out.

I created a Custom ROM that allows you to stay with the 100% stock look, MUCH MUCH faster than ROM that came with phone.

Lots of others add a bunch of crapware and bloatware to the ROM. I didint do that to this one. I left it stock. It runs very fast.

Custom ROM"s also remove some securuity features like when youa re installing an app you are not questioned if its what you really want to do... Etc...]

Custom ROM's can also c ome with differnt themes like you inquired. They can com completly set up or come completely base. It all depends on what you want to download.

Thank you so much for the information scrosler! I also read your other thread about the custom ROM you made. I am very thankful for you taking the time to do this for us VZW allies. I am a first to admit that I am a noob at unlocking and flashing ROMs. I dont doubt that I could simply follow the detailed instructions that you have given us. I just want to make sure that the payoff is worth it.

Is there anyway (this really may be asking too much) that you could post a video so we could see exactly what your ROM looks like and the increased speed. Or even a video of the process? Maybe even some screen shots.

I know I will end up unlocking and flashing any day. I have my phone set up just the way I like it with many beneficial programs installed, but it is not fast enough or responsive enough. I personally don't use the Touch Flo (as sexy at it looks) just because the WinMo UI works a lot better for me and is more responsive.

Again, thank you for being so kind and sharing your knowledge and not demeaning us or being rude for all the questions we ask :D I greatly appreciate the time and dedication it takes to create something like this and I respect it!

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Thank you so much for the information scrosler! I also read your other thread about the custom ROM you made. I am very thankful for you taking the time to do this for us VZW allies. I am a first to admit that I am a noob at unlocking and flashing ROMs. I dont doubt that I could simply follow the detailed instructions that you have given us. I just want to make sure that the payoff is worth it.

Is there anyway (this really may be asking too much) that you could post a video so we could see exactly what your ROM looks like and the increased speed. Or even a video of the process? Maybe even some screen shots.

I know I will end up unlocking and flashing any day. I have my phone set up just the way I like it with many beneficial programs installed, but it is not fast enough or responsive enough. I personally don't use the Touch Flo (as sexy at it looks) just because the WinMo UI works a lot better for me and is more responsive.

Again, thank you for being so kind and sharing your knowledge and not demeaning us or being rude for all the questions we ask :D I greatly appreciate the time and dedication it takes to create something like this and I respect it!

I cant do a video, lack the ability, hehehe... I can however tell you this:

It looks and actis identical to the Stock ROM from VZW except is was built on a new CE OS. Its considerably snapier than the stock ROM in everything from boot up to touchflo scrolling.

Its 99.99% stock. The only differnece is the speed, IE 6, ICS, and Net CF 3.5 is all cooked in. It, unlike all other custom ROM's, has all stock VZW apps and the VZW touchFlow. Its a straight rip from a stock VZW leaked ROM. The details ont he ROM and the kitchen used are in the new thread.

Its just to easy to do.

Download file A, run it. Download file B, run it. Its not that much harder in all honesty.

cforster

Sep 4, 2008
My Carrier is Sprint,

I am fairly happy with the phone as is

My only gripes are that:
it is not as responsive going from app to app as I would like
some of the apps I will never use, like the Sprint music store...

I love to diddle and play with my hardware

I do like touch-flo 3D, I think it's a nice UI, I just wish it was a bit more responsive

Dan

This thread will make your day.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44583

Also see this one.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

Have fun.

Last edited:

Cranemachine

Dec 3, 2008
Another stupid question...

Well I think this would be the appropriate thread to ask this.

I was wondering if there was any way to put 2 today screens into one instead of having to switch. Basically I am wanting a Touch Flo today screen at the top and the bottom half I would like to have a WinMo today screen with the two quick buttons at the bottom. Is this possible or am I just wanting too much? It seems like the themes for the Touch Flo look much better and I LOVE the black themes.

Any info. would be much appreciated! :D