[Q] Fastboot Recovery Issue (SOLVED)

Search This thread

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
I know this is not a new subject. but i feel i wont get a response in another thread that is pretty outdated. so im trying to flash cwm recovery thru fastboot but i get an error. I've tried typing the directory path c:\android-sdk\platform-tools\recovery.img. i get "cannot load recovery.img". this is what im typing

fastboot flash recovery c:\android-sdk\platform-tools\recovery.img
and i still get the error. I've even tried moving the recovery.img to c:\recovery.img
but no matter where or how i call it. it wont load. please help guys. I had android sdk install before but i had to wipe my pc clean and i just recieved a replacement nexus s 4g.

Last edited:

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Place the recovery you need in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools\recovery.img

Open up command prompt and type:

cd \android-sdk\platform-tools

Now, make sure it detects your android:

fastboot devices

You'll see a line with a serial number, you're good to go (remember you need to be in fastboot mode while you do all of this, Vol. Up + Power while off)

Now, just flash the recovery.img (i'd recommend the latest recovery from clockworkmod.com):

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
Place the recovery you need in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools\recovery.img

Open up command prompt and type:

cd \android-sdk\platform-tools

Now, make sure it detects your android:

fastboot devices

You'll see a line with a serial number, you're good to go (remember you need to be in fastboot mode while you do all of this, Vol. Up + Power while off)

Now, just flash the recovery.img (i'd recommend the latest recovery from clockworkmod.com):

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

wow. i did everything mentioned. i even redownloaded the recovery image. and i still get cannot load error. i even did it where i renamed it and left it alone the way it was typed

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Is your bootloader unlocked? Also, fastboot devices shows a serial number right?

Last edited:

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
Have you, by any chance, tried pressing the Tab button to autocomplete the recovery filename?

for example:

fastboot flash recovery rec[TAB] --> autocompletes to recovery.img

I'm running out of ideas here

wow this did it for me... i dont understand bc i typed
fastboot flash recovery rec(tab)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.img and i hit enter and it flashed. weird. but thanks dude i greatly appreciate it for sticking it out with me.

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Wonderful. You probably have "hide file extensions for known file types" checked. So when you downloaded the original, it ACTUALLY had a .img on the end of it already (which windows hid from you). Windows, unlike unix, cannot differentiate files based on their header, but instead relies on a useless extension in the file name of all places (ie, .img, .mp3 and .jpg at the end of the filename).

And noo problem mate, happy to help.

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
i flashed super user in cwm and it flashed ok. i reboot, go to the app drawer and its not there.... i did this twice.

weird. i downloaded superuser from the their website and flashed. it didnt show. so i downloaded it from the market and tried running an app that requires su permission and it worked. am i missing something here? why did this work that way?

zcs72

Dec 7, 2011
cannot load recovery.img

Thanks. the TAB autocomplete worked. I had forgotten about the additional file extension. gotta change that setting. Thanks again

thoha

Oct 27, 2007
Have you, by any chance, tried pressing the Tab button to autocomplete the recovery filename?

for example:

wow, thanks man, you made my day, was about to throw the phone from anger. thanks a million man thank you.

Reactions: Sagar14624

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

for example:

for example:

wow this did it for me... i dont understand bc i typed
    fastboot flash recovery rec(tab)
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.img and i hit enter and it flashed. weird. but thanks dude i greatly appreciate it for sticking it out with me.
    Wonderful. You probably have "hide file extensions for known file types" checked. So when you downloaded the original, it ACTUALLY had a .img on the end of it already (which windows hid from you). Windows, unlike unix, cannot differentiate files based on their header, but instead relies on a useless extension in the file name of all places (ie, .img, .mp3 and .jpg at the end of the filename).

And noo problem mate, happy to help.
    Have you tried navigating to the folder where recovery.img is located and typing "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

for example:

let me give this a tried