[Q] Kindle Fire HD Tate and TWRP

Search This thread

erForman

Apr 10, 2012
Krugerville
I successfully went through Hashcode's instructions for installing the second bootloader, rooting, and installing TWRP, and one of the Cyanogen nightly builds. All was working fine until I decided to try and go back to Kindle mode by restoring the original boot system and recovery images. The Kindle still seemed to work fine with the Kindle apps and I could use my Prime account. Now I am trying to switch back to Cyanogen. My problem is with TWRP. It does not see the sdcard files correctly. I have added some folders and zip files to the root of the sdcard but TWRP does not "see" the new files. It is like it has an image of the very original directory structure. How do I get TWRP to see the new files ????

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
If it isn't seeing the files you added to the sdcard you could always attempt a "adb sideload", personally i don't use this feature because I prefer pushing the rom and selecting it, but in your case it may be very useful. Oh that reminds me, the amazon os had a different symlink for sdcard I fi remember correctly. Look in the sdcard folder for a folder named 0, if you don't see it still look for it in /data/media/0, and if I have this backwards then it might actually be in the media folder rather than the 0 folder. Think the folder used to be called emulated... This is confusing me a bit, hadn't really looked at cm 11's sdcard paths.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Last edited:

erForman

Apr 10, 2012
Krugerville
If it isn't seeing the files you added to the sdcard you could always attempt a "adb sideload", personally i don't use this feature because I prefer pushing the rom and selecting it, but in your case it may be very useful. Oh that reminds me, the amazon os had a different symlink for sdcard I fi remember correctly. Look in the sdcard folder for a folder named 0, if you don't see it still look for it in /data/media/0, and if I have this backwards then it might actually be in the media folder rather than the 0 folder. Think the folder used to be called emulated... This is confusing me a bit, hadn't really looked at cm 11's sdcard paths.

Yes, I found the 0 folder and that is what TWRP is reading/displaying. So now, how do I get TWRP to read/mount the sdcard and not the folder named 0 ???????????/

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Just try browsing into /data/media, I would think that's where then old stuff would be, it is kinda the equivalent of what amazon os used i think. I would tell you for sure but I did internal storage wipe not too long ago so in don't have any files left over from amazon os anymore. There's one way you can check I think, boot into amazon os and run this from your PC
Code:
adb shell "ls -n /sdcard"
the part on the very right should should tell where it symlinks to, only problem is I believe it symlinks to another symlink, so whatever it outputs you might want ton run that command non again but with then new oath ton track it to it's original directory. Some of then sum links made created at startup so that's why in suggest doing this because there's no guarantee that the symlinks are in the same location in twrp. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, it makes more sense with a basic understanding of how linux works. I thinkmi traced cm 11's back to /mnt/shell/emulated, but I am sure that's a init.rc symlink... Annoying... Pretty sure that folder is the exact same as /data/media on mine. I'll see if I can help you out if you still can't find it.

Last edited:

erForman

Apr 10, 2012
Krugerville
Just try browsing into /data/media, I would think that's where then old stuff would be, it is kinda the equivalent of what amazon os used i think. I would tell you for sure but I did internal storage wipe not too long ago so in don't have any files left over from amazon os anymore. There's one way you can check I think, boot into amazon os and run this from your PC
Code:
adb shell "ls -n /sdcard"
the part on the very right should should tell where it symlinks to, only problem is I believe it symlinks to another symlink, so whatever it outputs you might want ton run that command non again but with then new oath ton track it to it's original directory. Some of then sum links made created at startup so that's why in suggest doing this because there's no guarantee that the symlinks are in the same location in twrp. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, it makes more sense with a basic understanding of how linux works. I thinkmi traced cm 11's back to /mnt/shell/emulated, but I am sure that's a init.rc symlink... Annoying... Pretty sure that folder is the exact same as /data/media on mine. I'll see if I can help you out if you still can't find it.

As I mentioned before, I found the "0" folder. It has the sdcard files and folders that TWRP is now reading. It is not the real root of the sdcard!
Should I just delete the "0" folder ????

Ph0enix_216

As I mentioned before, I found the "0" folder. It has the sdcard files and folders that TWRP is now reading. It is not the real root of the sdcard!
Should I just delete the "0" folder ????

I wouldn't reccomend deleting it (but that's just me). Amazon's OS for the KFHD is based on Android 4.0.3. CyanogenMod is based on 4.2.2 - 4.4 (depending on which version of CM you download), which includes a user profile feature that saves each user's data to a different numbered folder (the default user being numbered "0" ).

At least, I think this is how it works...?

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Yea it should be the folder one level up from the 0 folder that has the amazon os sdcard directory I think.

erForman

Apr 10, 2012
Krugerville
I wouldn't reccomend deleting it (but that's just me). Amazon's OS for the KFHD is based on Android 4.0.3. CyanogenMod is based on 4.2.2 - 4.4 (depending on which version of CM you download), which includes a user profile feature that saves each user's data to a different numbered folder (the default user being numbered "0" ).

At least, I think this is how it works...?

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11

Got it sorted out now, I have to use the "0" folder for anything I want to use in TWRP. I am able to safely switch back and forth between Kindle mode and Cyanogen for pure Android. Now ready to experiment with other Rom's. Does anybody have a favorite running on the Kindle Fire HD seven inch?

Ph0enix_216

Got it sorted out now, I have to use the "0" folder for anything I want to use in TWRP. I am able to safely switch back and forth between Kindle mode and Cyanogen for pure Android. Now ready to experiment with other Rom's. Does anybody have a favorite running on the Kindle Fire HD seven inch?

I'm using CyanogenMod 11. I like it because its just basic CM without any extra features, and runs smooth.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

erForman

Apr 10, 2012
Krugerville
I'm using CyanogenMod 11. I like it because its just basic CM without any extra features, and runs smooth.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

I flashed a nightly CyanogenMod (20140528) with Android 4.4.2. It is running just fine on my Kindle Fire HD 7 inch. Very nice mod with a ton of options.