Official T-Mobile US OTA Update 2.2.1 Froyo 34.4.9

Search This thread

runeblade

Mar 2, 2009
Oh yeah. More bloatware, but that's easy to remove. Internet speed is faster. Phone is more responsive. Nice to have the Hotspot feature now. Overall a worthy upgrade. Now to wait for 2.3 :D

runeblade

Mar 2, 2009
Unfortunately no-one has one for the US. I'm guessing you updated to the leaked version? The good news is that if my suspicion is correct a nandroid backup of this should play fine with the updated firmware. If you look at the difference its minor. 34.4.9 vs 34.4.4. I have not yet had the time to make one yet. I'll try to do so tonight.

nanek921

Sep 21, 2007
What did you have to do with the update.zip in order to upgrade your defy? I'm on 2.1 with the 3.6 update, I'm rooted with superoneclick, and I have it copied to the root of my sd. Did you use clockworkmod recovery?

chaihg

Nov 15, 2010
What did you have to do with the update.zip in order to upgrade your defy? I'm on 2.1 with the 3.6 update, I'm rooted with superoneclick, and I have it copied to the root of my sd. Did you use clockworkmod recovery?

Its an update zip file signed by company so you should enter stock recovery by power+vol down and then select update from zip.

no clue

Oct 20, 2008
Bellevue
Just tried it. No go.

It checks for the right build fingerprint before it continues. You need to have 6.36.0 or it aborts.

The Nandroid backup theory mught be the one that works...

Thanks for the update.
...... I just want something official now :(

( I am on official Chinese 2.21 build 1.11, it is fast, specially when you skip Blur registration. But, just in case I need my phone service by t-mobile .... )

Beach_Head

Aug 25, 2010
The leaked T-Mobile SBF was fast too.

But yeah, an official one would be better.

If the Nandroid method doesn't work, I hope someone posts an SBF soon...

Thanks for the update.
...... I just want something official now :(

( I am on official Chinese 2.21 build 1.11, it is fast, specially when you skip Blur registration. But, just in case I need my phone service by t-mobile .... )

runeblade

Mar 2, 2009
As for right build fingerprint, yes you are right. It is picky as hell. In the other thread I also mentioned that it is checking for apps. For example, I have Blockbuster disabled....it checked for it, didn't find it, and failed. I spent over 4 hours last night getting this to a point that it would work. Way Way too much hassle. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get to do a backup tonight. Was up way too late last night/this morning working on this and put in a 12 hour day. As soon as I get a breather I will. Sorry.

Beach_Head

Aug 25, 2010
No worries!

Is there any way to edit the build.prop file so that I can get the update to work?

As for right build fingerprint, yes you are right. It is picky as hell. In the other thread I also mentioned that it is checking for apps. For example, I have Blockbuster disabled....it checked for it, didn't find it, and failed. I spent over 4 hours last night getting this to a point that it would work. Way Way too much hassle. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get to do a backup tonight. Was up way too late last night/this morning working on this and put in a 12 hour day. As soon as I get a breather I will. Sorry.

runeblade

Mar 2, 2009
Unfortunately I don't have an un-updated Defy in front of me to pull the strings. I'll look at one of the ones at work tomorrow. If you read the error though it should tell you exactly what it is looking for. Mine did. Aslo try deleting the logwrapper. The was one of the holdups on mine.

Beach_Head

Aug 25, 2010
I have the string. I'm just wondering if it would work if I do edit it...

Where do I locate logwrapper?

Unfortunately I don't have an un-updated Defy in front of me to pull the strings. I'll look at one of the ones at work tomorrow. If you read the error though it should tell you exactly what it is looking for. Mine did. Aslo try deleting the logwrapper. The was one of the holdups on mine.

bimmerd00d

Jan 24, 2008
I just loaded this update.zip on my fiance's Defy...didn't wipe data or cache, it's booting right now....stuck at the T-Mobile "Stick Together" screen, waiting for the initial long boot

EDIT: Booted, running 2.2.1 now! So far so good, it's a little slow but it would be while it catches up. I have an Atrix and it's almost the identical interface.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here you folks go. Off of my phone to you. http://www.multiupload.com/YOXKQ18YW0. You Must have 2.1 with the 3.6 Update. I would recommend making a backup before applying. Use at your own use. If you get a Status 7 error, see my thread in the General forum on how I resolved it. Have Fun!
    Can someone please put a step by step guide for a stock Tmobile US 3_6.36

Really appreciate it !!!

1. Place update.zip in root of sdcard
    2. Boot into recovery by holding volume down button, and pressing power button
    (you will get the '!' in a triangle with a little android guy)
    3. Press the lower right corner of the screen to get to menu
    (right above the soft key "search" button)
    4. Apply update.zip by selecting that option
    (it will take a while, so be patient)
    5. Reboot phone when update complete
    6. Enjoy FroYo
    I flashed a Froyo Official Update, but it says "MILESTONE" on the flex version, So I'¿m guessing it's not the Defy one, this one posteed here is the official one for Defy USA T-Mobile right? Can I flash this over the version I have or do I have to downgrade first? thanks!!!
    the "official" 34.4.9 update.zip will ONLY install properly over 3.6.360

34.4.9 isn't quite official "yet" its a final version that was distributed to about 1,000 people for testing. So long as major bugs are not found it will probably be the exact same release as OFFICIAL. https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/47028

I have been using it now after going thru about every custom rom out for the defy I just like it for some reason more! I have found no bugs so far except once when i took a picture it was saved as a solid colored square. But hasn't happened again.

I have never heard of milestone roms running properly on the defy? I have never flashed back (downgraded) from them so do at your own risk. The alternate methods work but for me I just wipe and RSD flash straight back to 3.6.360 and apply the official update, seems like a cleaner install to me. I play around with different roms and try to decide what I like about each one and I have done this process countless times downgrading (as of now) isn't an issue unless you are trying to go below 3.6.360
    I just did it, it worked, so, now that I'm on Eclair Stock ROM, I'm going to flash this one, thanks!
    GOOD! happy trails.... you should hit that thanks meter for me ;)