[Q] facebook sync fix for ics

Search This thread

evcz

May 22, 2010
evcz.tk
Another one with the same problem. Even a third party app would be fine for me... Any suggestion?

Azuske

Jan 31, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Another one with the same problem. Even a third party app would be fine for me... Any suggestion?

Its not broken. The Official Facebook application doesn't support Android 4.0 just yet so you will not be able to sync your contacts to your device. The only method is to use third party applications. I use Friendcaster Pro and it works really well.

Unfortunately, Till Facebook adds compatibility to the official application... you will not see your contacts sync to your device

red_skittles

Sep 7, 2011
Toronto
Nope, the issue is between Google and Facebook, so we won't see contact sync fixed until Google and Facebook make an agreement or until a custom ROM fixes is. I forget the whole story, but I think Facebook doesn't use Android's contact API so when you sync Facebook contacts with your phone they all stay with Facebook and aren't stored locally on the phone. If you uninstall Facebook all your Facebook contacts go to. Google doesn't like that FB doesn't let you control and keep your FB data on your phone so they revoked Facebooks access to the API.

EDIT: heres an article about it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/google-disables-contact-sync-in-facebook-for-android-only-nexus/

Last edited:
Reactions: krueger80

Azuske

Jan 31, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Nope, the issue is between Google and Facebook, so we won't see contact sync fixed until Google and Facebook make an agreement or until a custom ROM fixes is. I forget the whole story, but I think Facebook doesn't use Android's contact API so when you sync Facebook contacts with your phone they all stay with Facebook and aren't stored locally on the phone. If you uninstall Facebook all your Facebook contacts go to. Google doesn't like that FB doesn't let you control and keep your FB data on your phone so they revoked Facebooks access to the API.

EDIT: heres an article about it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/google-disables-contact-sync-in-facebook-for-android-only-nexus/

You sorta proved my point. More or less its not compatibility with Android 4.0 but its the Nexus S. Once again Facebook will have to upgrade the application in order to make it compatible with the Nexus S. Only difference between what I said is instead of Android 4.0 its for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus

Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data.

red_skittles

Sep 7, 2011
Toronto
You sorta proved my point. More or less its not compatibility with Android 4.0 but its the Nexus S. Once again Facebook will have to upgrade the application in order to make it compatible with the Nexus S. Only difference between what I said is instead of Android 4.0 its for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus

Facebook never updated the app on Gingerbread. Facebook sync was included in custom ROMS because developers enabled it. Nothing to do with official support from Facebook. Until Google and Facebook sort this out, vanilla Android won't support contact sync, unless Facebook starts using the regular contact API

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

try syncmypix

try syncmypix, works good for facebook pics